• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Thor: Ragnarok's Taika Waititi in Talks to Direct Live-Action Akira

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
*kaneda voice* i didn't choose the skuxx life the skuxx life chose me
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This could be really good or really bad. Taika Waititi is a great director whose has handled dark material, but he's far better known for comedy than for drama.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
Of course he is. What successful, working director HASN'T been approached for this project? It's only a matter of time before they try Patty Jenkins.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
So Neo-New York is the setting or what now? Please stop doing this to Akira and let it die.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
isn't this the eighth or ninth director change? Plus a setting change? well this is getting down right monotonous
MadHi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
Besides the number 1 obvious reason why they want to make this (money), what other reason justifies this project being greenlit?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
isn't this the eighth or ninth director change? Plus a setting change? well this is getting down right monotonous

Given our expectations here, I doubt I'm the only one who'd gladly accept endless setbacks rather than substantive progress...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
I can't believe they're still trying to get this trash off the ground. Have they not learned a single damn lesson from Ghost in the Shell, Dragonball: Evolution, Speed Racer, Fist of the North Star, Guyver, and other trash anime and manga live-action movies? Ghost in the Shell was a big bomb for Paramount and was a PR nightmare thanks to casting Scarlett Johansson as Motoko, and it's come out in a year where Paramount desperately needs a hit because all their releases keep bombing.

Just kill it already. I'm so sick of these reboots, remakes and weak adaptations, most of all for manga. Star Wars V was a cash grab by Disney. The new It movie was undoubtedly the most hyped movie of the year and broke records and all of that and the director kept going on about how much he loved the book and he reread it in four hours before filming started, and how true it was going to be to the book, but it was still pretty terrible compared to the book, relied on CGI, underwent a decade-change, etc. These things aren't working. How many director changes has that been for Akira now? I mean, just let it die already. Lock it up in Development Hell and throw away the key. Our generation needs to form a New Hollywood outside the Hollywood studio system and get actual original projects made. There are kids out there with great ideas that have never been tried before but they may or may not ever have the chance to get them made because of the garbage filmmaking industry in the U.S.
r0verandom

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:
Besides the number 1 obvious reason why they want to make this (money), what other reason justifies this project being greenlit?

Trying to make good adaptation, since that still doesn't exist. Animated movie is very poor in terms of characters and story, only thing it has going for it are visuals.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
These things aren't working.

I'm confused you say these things aren't working while citing the It adaptation which has thus far been a success at the box office. Unlike the other movies you mentioned.

doomydoomdoom wrote:

How many director changes has that been for Akira now? I mean, just let it die already. Lock it up in Development Hell and throw away the key. Our generation needs to form a New Hollywood outside the Hollywood studio system and get actual original projects made. There are kids out there with great ideas that have never been tried before but they may or may not ever have the chance to get them made because of the garbage filmmaking industry in the U.S.

I don't think that's why original film ideas are few and far between a good part of the reason is that it's far more likely that a film based on a existing idea to be successful than an original idea. A movie with an original premise is likely to get you awards and rave reviews less likely to put butts in theater seats.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see this. This is close as it comes to a remake. I enjoyed ghost in the shell live action, so I'd like to see how this could turn out.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
doomy: Actually, Ghost in the Shell made really good money on home video.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Hunt for the Wilderpeople is beyond legit but the man isn´t a "serious" director. Doesn´t mean that he can´t do a good Akira film but still a weird choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1