• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neo-Yokio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Hey now I can identify the voice actors to this show unlike Ken where most of the voice cast stayed anonymous and didn't even get onscreen crediting apparently. At least Ken knew better and aspired to less probably.

I don't know if they knew better, considering they made 65 episodes of it (which I've seen all of), which even considering the shorter run time is more than twice as much as Neo Yokio is getting. Shooting for the stars and falling back to Earth is commendable if sometimes laughable, but trying to get across the street and ending up in the core of the Earth is just befuddling, failing at things one didn't know a show could fail at as Ken did. Though if this is Neo Yokio's creators' idea of shooting for the Moon, I'm worried that they might have mistook a reflection in a puddle for the heavenly bodies.

Speaking of the moon I swear Jaden's character looks like Loran from Turn A Gundam with shorter hair and not dyed white though that would be insulting to Turn A Gundam. I don't know why I'm thinking that he isn't as feminine looking either.

And no for Ken it seemed like they were aspiring for some kid's show they could mindlessly shove off a Japanese child in front of, it to me just seemed less than the aspirations of this show. The fact it lasted for 65 episodes is surprising though.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Rick and Morty I guess, that seemed good.

EerieLime wrote:
Gravity Falls was great, Steven Universe and Star vs. the Forces of Evil are fun (though I prefer seasons 2-3 of SU), We Bare Bears is cute, I heard the new DuckTales is good... There's still good western animation being made, it just feels hard to find due to how many mediocre/garbage shows are out there.

Thanks, I'll try those.

Codeanime93 wrote:

I found the Karate Kid remake to be too long. Didn't exactly like him in that either though I grew up with the Macchio version that it was rather hard to like it for me. I guess the only thing that was good to me about the remake was Jackie Chan's performance.

Yeah, Is also my opinion. The only thing good was Jackie Chan. But still i prefer the original.
The Ralph Macchio/Pat Morita combination was perfect.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I expected a train wreck and what I got is only comparable to a nuclear bomb leveling an entire city IT'S THAT BAD my only saving grace is that I didn't watch the official stream I pirated it. Sad
gpanthony

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Jonny Mendes"]
Codeanime93 wrote:
Rick and Morty I guess, that seemed good.

EerieLime wrote:
Gravity Falls was great, Steven Universe and Star vs. the Forces of Evil are fun (though I prefer seasons 2-3 of SU), We Bare Bears is cute, I heard the new DuckTales is good... There's still good western animation being made, it just feels hard to find due to how many mediocre/garbage shows are out there.

In my opinion, Rick and Morty is superior to a lot of shows out there- Western animation or anime . It can be really draining when it gets to those emotional moments though. I heard Bojack Horseman is the same and gets in to some really dark, complex territory, but haven't been in the mood for that so haven't watched it yet.

Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, Star vs. TFE, and Duck Tales are all good as previously stated. I really like the current Ninja Turtles show too, if you like action/ shonen stuff.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Another vote for Rick and Morty. Animation style isn't as polished as your typical anime or Disney fare, but the writing is awesome.

Has anyone sent Jaden a link to this article through his Twitter account? Would love to just LOL on what he has to say about it.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely Rick and Morty, I just fall in love with it more every single episode. Skip the pilot episode though, it's actually easily the only bad episode so far in the show, start with ep 2 or 3 (it's not like the basic family set up is super complicated, you can go back and watch the pilot episode later).

Seconding Gravity Falls and Steven Universe too. And for my stupid all ages comedy, I'm really digging Milo Murphy's Law (by the creators of Phineas and Ferb). And RWBY counts too, only getting better every season so far. I almost feel like there's a bit of a renaissance with good US animated shows lately, although tripe like Neo Yokio would hardly be a good indication.
On the Netflix front, both Trollhunters and Voltron: Legendary Defender are quite good. So Netflix actually is making good animated shows, it's just no one seems to be watching Trollhunters except for me while we're all doing that cheating boyfriend meme at Neo Yokio right now.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this sounds hilariously bad, like the universe needed to counteract how kickass Castlevania was with dreck like this.
genkisakurachan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for watching this so I didn't have to, Mike. This review is bound to be many times more entertaining than sitting through this monstrosity would have been.

As an incredibly amusing side note, Hirofumi Morimoto's most recent work prior to this was as animation director for both seasons of Rakugo Shinju. That's a step down approximately the height of the Empire State Building.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 pm Reply with quote
genkisakurachan wrote:
Thanks for watching this so I didn't have to, Mike. This review is bound to be many times more entertaining than sitting through this monstrosity would have been.

As an incredibly amusing side note, Hirofumi Morimoto's most recent work prior to this was as animation director for both seasons of Rakugo Shinju. That's a step down approximately the height of the Empire State Building.

I still think the fact Kazuhiro Furuhashi is credited to this somewhere and he has done anime like Rurouni Kenshin ( the series, Trust and Betrayal and Reflection), Gundam Unicorn, Getbackers, Ranma 1/2,You're Under Arrest, L'Chevalier D'Eon, Zipang, all better anime than this, is probably the biggest step down here. And Wikipedia credits him as one of the directors too, ouch.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Judging by the opinions and considering the criticisms, I think there will be no plans for a dubbed version of this crap in any language other than English, since there are no mentions of the series in the Latin American Netflix feed.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Aw, I had such high hopes for Fox's ADHD initiative. Not everything they did was bad, but this is disappointing.

However, American animation has a lot of new, young creators like Rebecca Sugar (Steven Universe) and Daron Nefcy (Star vs. The Forces of Evil) shaking things up. Adventure Time is in its final season, and it's always been innovative, weird, and a bit hit-or-miss but worth checking out. I wasn't all that into the new Voltron's first two seasons, but the third seasons really upped its game, and I'm excited for whatever they've got planned next.

On the adult side, I agree that Rick and Morty is excellent (especially this season), but Archer managed to reinvent itself really well in its most recent season, and if you haven't tried it or got bored of it when they kept changing the premise, Dreamland is so different it's worth a second look.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
EerieLime wrote:
I heard the new DuckTales is good.

Definately have to disagree. The new series is shoddy Flash animation and Quack Pack charicterization for the nephews. As someone who grew up with the original, it's a far step down like every other recent reboot has been.

Not a fan of any of the other shows, but I don't find American humor very funny and cheap art styles turn me off. It's sad this is the kind of series Netflix decided to promote and finance. I wasn't a huge fan of Castlevania, but I can acknowledge it was the one modern American cartoon that tried to be different.

-Stuart Smith
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
Isn't this not released yet? netflix says it won't air for a couple of days.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Aw, I had such high hopes for Fox's ADHD initiative. Not everything they did was bad, but this is disappointing.

However, American animation has a lot of new, young creators like Rebecca Sugar (Steven Universe) and Daron Nefcy (Star vs. The Forces of Evil) shaking things up. Adventure Time is in its final season, and it's always been innovative, weird, and a bit hit-or-miss but worth checking out. I wasn't all that into the new Voltron's first two seasons, but the third seasons really upped its game, and I'm excited for whatever they've got planned next.

On the adult side, I agree that Rick and Morty is excellent (especially this season), but Archer managed to reinvent itself really well in its most recent season, and if you haven't tried it or got bored of it when they kept changing the premise, Dreamland is so different it's worth a second look.

I've heard less great shows out of Adult American animation lately. I mean for every Rick and Morty, Archer, Bojack, there's a ton of other garbage adult animated shows. such as that monstrosity Mr. Pickles from Adult Swim. There's also that really bad Mike Tyson show Adult Swim plays also. Other adult shows seem to have played their hand already and just need to end like Family Guy/American Dad, Simpsons and South Park. Not that I liked either Guy or Park much to begin with.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
When it came to pitch this idea to Netflix, if I was the person in charge of the team to give the "yes" or "no" to it, I would tell them "no. Netflix has a lame history when it comes to producing anime or or even catering to anime fans. I will probably change this statement when all the upcoming anime we license for streaming is done as a weekly simulcast".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7