• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neo-Yokio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
When it came to pitch this idea to Netflix, if I was the person in charge of the team to give the "yes" or "no" to it, I would tell them "no. Netflix has a lame history when it comes to producing anime or or even catering to anime fans. I will probably change this statement when all the upcoming anime we license for streaming is done as a weekly simulcast".

Ajin and Knights of Sidonia are only streamed by Netflix right? My memory is bad about this again.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
As I've said before,I have a great deal of respect for both Japanese and American animators. A lot of times,they can be great separately,but put them together and the effects can be magical if they're put on the right project. Judging by this review,I've got the feeling that this might not be that project. Now,I've seen a number of U.S./Japanese collaborations before and a lot of them were very good,including "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer." And if you want to know what I mean,look it up and see. Here,the reviewer is plainly saying that "Neo-Yokio" isn't one of them.
And,I'm afraid I'm not going to know,because I no longer have a Netflix account. Although,my curiosity is whetted by this,there have also been times when that same curiosity's got the better of me and I've watched more than a few things that I've ended up regretting. I guess I'll just have to wait to see if "Neo-Yokio" is one of them.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
As I've said before,I have a great deal of respect for both Japanese and American animators. A lot of times,they can be great separately,but put them together and the effects can be magical if they're put on the right project. Judging by this review,I've got the feeling that this might not be that project. Now,I've seen a number of U.S./Japanese collaborations before and a lot of them were very good,including "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer." And if you want to know what I mean,look it up and see. Here,the reviewer is plainly saying that "Neo-Yokio" isn't one of them.
And,I'm afraid I'm not going to know,because I no longer have a Netflix account. Although,my curiosity is whetted by this,there have also been times when that same curiosity's got the better of me and I've watched more than a few things that I've ended up regretting. I guess I'll just have to wait to see if "Neo-Yokio" is one of them.

I certainly remember Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer. Watched the heck out of that as a kid. I am still definitely watching this show. Almost straight Fs in a review seems a bit impossible for me to be honest, so of course that makes me wonder just what is in this thing that can be that offensive.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Oh my god, a solid F. I have to watch this now.

this wasn't the only series. knights of lamunes got straight f's across the board and rightfully so.

also were the first season of ikkitousen and shuffle which was clearly unjustified. sure there were flaws, but those series were not awful at the slightest. and definitely deserves any D's or F's.

and compared to this Hollywood mess which is more or less a 4kids knock off , their a blessing. even the uber garbage knights of lamunes is a lot better than this and that is saying something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rizuchan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Awww, I hadn't heard of Fox's ADHD thing and from how it was described I thought maybe they wanted to make programming that was more ADHD friendly? But of course not, it's just a bad acronym. Laughing

Well, that's what anime shorts are for, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Even though I am curious to witness this train wreck, I refuse to watch it. Every person that watches it equals ratings and they may think that it's a "popular show". No way I want any more of this crap produced.

Agreed. It's why I never got on board with the idea of "hate-watching" something, or the concept of "so-bad-its-good." The powers that be do not care very much about why anyone watches their programming, they care about the numbers. Netflix will pay far more attention to the number of views that one of their "originals" gets as opposed to checking message boards to see that people panned it after watching it.

I didn't know that this was another company's project before Netflix got it, but that doesn't surprise me. The fact that it was announced shortly before it went on Netflix made it seem like they knew they were dealing with garbage, and that is a much more likely scenario if it was actually something they bought on the cheap from someone else.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Even worse than Handshakers, Japan's recent abomination re anime ? All things are possible if one lives long enough I guess.

Two thumbs up for Rick & Morty.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:
Even worse than Handshakers, Japan's recent abomination re anime ? All things are possible if one lives long enough I guess.

It sounds I will enjoy watching "Neo-Yokio" just out of sheer spite.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
Watching it now. Zac was so right. You are not prepared for this. I don't normally keep notes when watching shows, but by the second episode, there were lines that I had to stop the video, laugh, and write down. When I finish, I'll be sure to share.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Please share the notes. I’ll stick with Narcos.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
bemused Bohemian wrote:

Two thumbs up for Rick & Morty.

hand shakers was a hell of a lot better than this thing. sure this have its flaws for sure but it was definitely like a weekend rental. same with chaos dragon (though the MC during the last 4 eps pissed me off) , endride and divine gate which got eviscerated in the forums , but they were decent enough and a thousand times better than this hollywood trainwreck.

if there is any current anime series that is just as bad as this its scum's wish and NTR! though not even this series will outdo knights of lamunes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Please share the notes. I’ll stick with Narcos.

That is what I would suggest. The third season was pretty good.

After watching it, I'll have to agree with Mike. The voices of several characters do not match with them, and it is poorly done all around. If the credits at the end of the opening are any indication, it does actually have credited writers, with Ezra Koenig credited for fully or partially writing each episode. I'm not sure if he knows if he is a good writer or not, given that he made a reference to the Alas poor Yorick scene from Hamlet after he beats the demon possessing the Damien Hirst skull, which is aptly titled "For the Love of God." Part of me thinks the inanity of this vanity project needs to see the light of day, but another part of me asks why no one said no. One quote seems explanitory "People can't get enough of other people standing on a red carpet". Or was it this one? "We'll care when they pay us to care"

While I don't know that I'd say that it is the worst of all time (Chargeman Ken is still the king) it is still surely one of the worst of all time, though there were points I was tempted to pull a Nick Creamer and proclaim it an ahead of its time parody. I think the principal of the school Kaz briefly worked as a teacher at (teaching Elegance, natch) put it best - though not at one time- "For f--k's sake" "What in the name of Shakespeare's ass is going on here!" "What a dog's breakfast." "Balls to that."

And as promised, my notes. This is frankly just the tip of the iceberg, as I didn't want to stop every minute or two to jot something down, and I would be remiss not to leave some for people to discover for themselves.

[Putting them in spoiler quotes by episode]

Episode 2
spoiler["Nervous-making"
Does the sales clerk have a name?
Kakalaka?
"People can't get enough of other people standing on a red carpet"
Ezra thinks he's Shakespeare? (Alas poor yorick)
]

Episode 3
spoiler[Squid ink fettuccine. "That is the most melancholy pasta"
"You really enjoy telling women what to wear, Kaz."
"Helena has lost the plot." No the writer has lost the plot
"Do you have anything aggressively Belgian?"
"Come to my apartment. We can get high and have a fashion show."
It seems like it was written by a weeb that only vaguely understands Japanese culture
What is with the big Toblerones?
"My boyfriend's the DJ. He spins Gregorian House"
"The only worthwhile thing about you is your taste in luxury chocolate"
"What in the name of Shakespeare's ass is going on here!"
"What a dog's breakfast."
"Balls to that." Once again the Principal is on point
"I had a dream that a Toblerone was in trouble and that Toblerone was you."
]

Episode 4
spoiler["I like this kind of talk, Charles. More vibes please"
"At least he died doing what he loved - Drowning? - No! Sailing!"
"I just thought you might prefer the black Alexander Wang trunks since you are in mourning for your uncle"
"It's an artisanal school bus. I can't be seen on that shit"
A record called "Melancholic Music of the Past"? Heh...Oh dear
"Oh, snap yo! They got the infinity pool! - It's as close as our mortal eyes will come to comprehending the infinite"
"I can't believe I'm related to that Hamptons hillbilly"
"And by the way, Kaz. A panda? Really? The new pet wave is cheetahs. I'm getting mine on Monday."
]

Episode 5
spoiler["Do I have to? My existential dread is acting up today"
Remembrancer
"We'll care when they pay us to care"
"Of course I know Ralph [Lauren] makes pastries!"
"I am not a sad man. I am an angry man!"
Who uses the term homeslice anymore?
"First up, the Boom-Boom Room"
"In Soviet Union, Government would never let you keep tiger in apartment block - Yeah, I don't think it's allowed in Neo Yokio either, but we're in the hood"
"I didn't realize it was an actual greenhouse - It sure is - And what do they grow here? - Cocaine"
Wait, did that fisherman just wink when he took off the jumpsuit Kaz bought back from him?
Oh god, why is he still fishing when he's naked?!
]

Episode 6
spoiler[Giappone
Dave 1
"Mr Kaan, the bedroom is the heart of the apartment. I'm a furniture buff. I need to see it"
"I don't know what it is about a well-decorated apartment, but it makes me want to smoke. Do you mind? - [...] Actually, the young master's neighbors are quite sensitive to smoke. Best not to. - Good thing I brought my vape" Though I guess it seems more ridiculous coming from a guy dressed like a British judge.
Lord Mayor?
Again with the giant Toblerone?
"Sir, Neo Yokio doesn't concern itself with the safety of its slum denizens. - I'm starting to think Neo Yokio's not the greatest city in the world"
]
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Call me crazy, but I unironically enjoyed this show. It had a very Wes Anderson vibe with its characters and dialogue, which — considering Vampire Weekend is the Wes Anderson of music — should not have been a surprise. I kinda want a second season to happen.

I think we can all agree, though, that its animated far better than The Reflection.

Last edited by omnistry on Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I honestly can't tell if this show is purposefully meant to be a joke. Some of the writing is almost clever in how dumb it is. I actually enjoyed the first episode for that reason.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't actually heard of this until this review, but based what I'm reading about it, it sounds like Jaden Smith got a whole bunch of his friends together as well as anyone in the industry he knew willing to work for him to make this. Sounds like it's also "animesque" in the worst possible way: All style (and clumsily done at that) and no substance, desperately trying to make you go "COOOOLLL!!!" at the screen in a way only a 12-year-old (or a mental 12-year-old like Jaden Smith) could provide.

CatSword wrote:
Oh my god, a solid F. I have to watch this now.

Yeah, I've never seen so many F's at the end of an Anime News Network review until now. This is hilarious.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
"Oh, look, Netflix was the responsible for this garbage"

Ahhhh, no. It was the people behind it. Remember folks, Netflix only gives you the money, you know what to do with it.

The review seems to suggest that the show was already at least partially complete when Netflix got it. Jaden can afford to make this show out of pocket. Netflix is just giving him more money based on its viewership.

[quote="Codeanime93"And why is Jude Law and Steve Buscemi voicing in this? Susan Sarandon? Talk about paycheck cashing.[/quote]

All three of them are good actors though. Good VOICE actors, I'm not sure about, but celebrity casting has been done with western animation since voice acting got started.

#861208 wrote:
Hopefully it will be a gateway anime for some dumb teenagers who will grow up and get over it... it's probably still better than the non-anime things teenagers like.

Ouch...

Jonny Mendes wrote:
This cartoon made me remember why i stop watching American animation. And i was a fan for many years,

BTY i want to ask the US fans if is there any good new western animation airing on US television now?

Depends on what you mean by "new," but the ones that debuted from 2015 and onwards that are good, doing well in the ratings, and are still on the air include Rick & Morty, OK KO, The Loud House, the new DuckTales, Steven Universe, and arguably Sonic Boom. The final season of Samurai Jack was also superb. Wander Over Yonder recently ended but improves a lot from the 2nd season on, as was Sanjay and Craig. Shows that have been going on for a while that are still on the air and are still well-liked include South Park, Bob's Burgers, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Adventure Time, Robot Chicken, Star vs. The Forces of Evil, and Star Wars Rebels. Many others have a love-it-or-hate-it status currently, which are...pretty numerous (you've probably heard of at least Family Guy and Teen Titans GO!, which have lots of fans and also lots of haters).

classicalzawa wrote:
Seconding Gravity Falls and Steven Universe too. And for my stupid all ages comedy, I'm really digging Milo Murphy's Law (by the creators of Phineas and Ferb). And RWBY counts too, only getting better every season so far. I almost feel like there's a bit of a renaissance with good US animated shows lately, although tripe like Neo Yokio would hardly be a good indication.
On the Netflix front, both Trollhunters and Voltron: Legendary Defender are quite good. So Netflix actually is making good animated shows, it's just no one seems to be watching Trollhunters except for me while we're all doing that cheating boyfriend meme at Neo Yokio right now.

Gravity Falls has concluded, but yes, that is a very nice list there.

Codeanime93 wrote:
I've heard less great shows out of Adult American animation lately. I mean for every Rick and Morty, Archer, Bojack, there's a ton of other garbage adult animated shows. such as that monstrosity Mr. Pickles from Adult Swim. There's also that really bad Mike Tyson show Adult Swim plays also. Other adult shows seem to have played their hand already and just need to end like Family Guy/American Dad, Simpsons and South Park. Not that I liked either Guy or Park much to begin with.

Sturgeon's Law: There's going to be a lot of garbage and a few good specimens of anything people make in any time period. It's just that the ones people can recall tend to be the standouts of the era. People remember The Jetsons quite well, way better than The Roman Holidays or The Gary Coleman Show, for instance.

(Family Guy and South Park require you to be very in tune with US culture to truly get the most out of--celebrity culture for Family Guy, current events for South Park.)

Greed1914 wrote:
Agreed. It's why I never got on board with the idea of "hate-watching" something, or the concept of "so-bad-its-good." The powers that be do not care very much about why anyone watches their programming, they care about the numbers. Netflix will pay far more attention to the number of views that one of their "originals" gets as opposed to checking message boards to see that people panned it after watching it.

I didn't know that this was another company's project before Netflix got it, but that doesn't surprise me. The fact that it was announced shortly before it went on Netflix made it seem like they knew they were dealing with garbage, and that is a much more likely scenario if it was actually something they bought on the cheap from someone else.

Bile fascination runs on novelty, and that wears off after long enough. Someone who's famous because they're bad people or because they've created something atrocious will eventually suddenly drop in popularity, as is what happened to Sonichu, Amy's Baking Company, William Hung, and sequels to genuinely bad movies with good box office numbers. If Neo-Yokio is that bad, people will grow tired of that badness and stop watching, and even if enough people watch it to get a second season, it's not going to last.

omnistry wrote:
Call me crazy, but I unironically enjoyed this show. It had a very Wes Anderson vibe with its characters and dialogue, which — considering Vampire Weekend is the Wes Anderson of music — should not have been a surprise. I kinda want a second season to happen.

I think we can all agree, though, that its animated far better than The Reflection.

Oddly, this is not the first comparison of this show to Wes Anderson I've seen. Makes me quite curious to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7