• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neo-Yokio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I wonder if people would be easier on this show if it had aired on the ADHD block instead of Netflix.

Potentially, I think so. It definitely gets scrutiny with it being a "Netflix Original," and Netflix seems to use that label for anything streaming exclusively with them, and not necessarily something that they had a hand in making. When western companies are making more efforts to get in on the production side of things, I think Netflix sets itself up for the idea that "Netflix Original" means what it says. I certainly had no idea that this started out elsewhere until I read the review.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Wait wait wait wait...you mean THE Jaden Smith got an anime?

Well, I guess if you got money you can do it. Meanwhile I have a story that I can't get done because I don't possess what some people have writing books. I can come up with pretty good ideas, but...

Hopefully, LeSean Thomas's 'Children of the Ether' will be a better project.

But don't be so hard on Jaden. After all even bad anime will be novel. People are going to look back on this in 10, 20 years from now and possibly want to buy it for being so bad.

So when's 'Garzey's Wing' coming out on DVD? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Wait wait wait wait...you mean THE Jaden Smith got an anime?

Well, I guess if you got money you can do it. Meanwhile I have a story that I can't get done because I don't possess what some people have writing books. I can come up with pretty good ideas, but...

Hopefully, LeSean Thomas's 'Children of the Ether' will be a better project.

But don't be so hard on Jaden. After all even bad anime will be novel. People are going to look back on this in 10, 20 years from now and possibly want to buy it for being so bad.

So when's 'Garzey's Wing' coming out on DVD? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I guess you mean when is Discotek going to re-release Garzey's Wing on DVD and Blu-ray? I'm waiting for that weird day to pass soon. I try not to be hard on Jaden considering his whole career is mostly his father's doing and not his or maybe he does really want it badly too. What I'm saying is I consider him all Will Smith's fault. Though right now he's old enough now that I consider it his fault as well.
Naotomato

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I kept seeing memes for this on twitter. Now I know why.
SailorNaruto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever seen ANN give an anime this low of a score before. It's actually kind of funny. I already had no intention of watching it but yikes I didn't know it was that bad lmao
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
A parody is funny only if you understand the work is a parody

In order to recognize something as a parody, it first has to be a parody of something in particular, or a series of vignettes parodying many specific things one at a time. A "parody" of bad anime in general could not be a parody at all, it would just be a bad show that borrows ideas from many other bad shows. I have not watched this yet so I do not know for certain which is the case here, but the posts claiming it's parody are alarmingly vague as to what it is supposed to be mocking. If someone could narrow it down more then that might alleviate some doubt and increase my interest.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes this morning. I don't think anyone should treat this show as a serious attempt at anime. It definitely comes across more as some attempt at satire. However, I would say it is a fairly weak attempt simply because the plots are not sharp enough and the acting is too stiff. This feels like something that Set McFarlane would have made when he was still in film school. It seems to draw a little on his kind of comedic sensibilities (i.e. pop culture comedy) but not in the more refined and clever way that he is now known for.

There is undoubtedly a satire of both American celebrity culture/American upper class, and Japanese anime tropes going on here. The robot mecha butler for example is clearly not meant to be taken seriously and is intended as a joke, but the problem is that the joke falls pretty flat because he is presented in such a plain manner that doesn't do enough to exploit the usual mecha tropes. Likewise, the fabulously jerkish rival with his posse of followers is a typical anime trope you'll see in just about any shounen show. That guy is here and he's somewhat funny, but not exaggerated enough to be a good satire.

I wouldn't call this a "vehicle" for Jaden Smith. This is definitely the opposite. Someone came up with this concept and wanted to use him to sell it. I definitely did not perceive his performance as being particularly into this. I think it's more of a paycheck for him.

Overall, I think this is a C- show. If someone wants to watch comedic American animation that's done like anime or with anime talent, The Boondocks would be a much better option. That said, I'll probably still watch the rest of this and am always open to seeing new different ideas put forth.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
In order to recognize something as a parody, it first has to be a parody of something in particular, or a series of vignettes parodying many specific things one at a time. A "parody" of bad anime in general could not be a parody at all, it would just be a bad show that borrows ideas from many other bad shows. I have not watched this yet so I do not know for certain which is the case here, but the posts claiming it's parody are alarmingly vague as to what it is supposed to be mocking. If someone could narrow it down more then that might alleviate some doubt and increase my interest.

Oh, there can most definitely be general parodies. It doesn't have to be something specific. Kung Pow! Enter the First is a parody of 1970's to 1980's wuxia films, for instance (even if its source material is Tiger and Crane Fists, it was reassembled, with characters added in, to be very nonspecific). And just like any other form of storytelling, there can be good parodies and bad parodies, and bad parodies are still parodies. Get Smart is a parody of spy stories that were very popular when the TV show came out and is both widely considered a parody (even though it's not spoofing any story or franchise in particular); Remember the Spartans is a parody of sports films which everybody could recognize as a parody (even without the Seltzer and Friedberg label) with a consensus of poor execution and shallowness.

That is, a story can still parody a genre, a movement, a trend, or any other group of things, as long as there are specific, recognizable elements within them. From what I'm seeing regarding people posting here referring to it as a parody, I am seeing common themes, namely American consumerist culture and the lifestyles of wealthy people. (As the subject being made fun of is not a work of fiction but actual real-life circumstances accompanied by criticism, that would actually make it more specifically a satire.)
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That is, a story can still parody a genre, a movement, a trend, or any other group of things, as long as there are specific, recognizable elements within them.

I may not have been clear enough but those are exactly the type of specific, identifiable things that I'm saying a parody has to be about, not that they need to be a spoof of only one title. Even a pastiche of multiple genres from a certain time period will work as long as one can pinpoint a distinguishable era. What doesn't work is "It's a parody of like, you know, poorly written stuff overall, I guess."

leafy sea dragon wrote:
As the subject being made fun of is not a work of fiction but actual real-life circumstances accompanied by criticism, that would actually make it more specifically a satire.

Now, that I can understand, but it still sounds like the execution was not very good.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
I may not have been clear enough but those are exactly the type of specific, identifiable things that I'm saying a parody has to be about, not that they need to be a spoof of only one title. Even a pastiche of multiple genres from a certain time period will work as long as one can pinpoint a distinguishable era. What doesn't work is "It's a parody of like, you know, poorly written stuff overall, I guess."

Ah, all right then. I thought you meant that something can only parody one work or a bunch of other specific works. I haven't seen Neo-Yokio myself, so I wouldn't know if they're parodying anything in particular, but I can say that a parody of poor quality anime CAN be done if you can find various things that commonly pop up among them and use those tropes in an absurd way. (And sometimes not-so-poor quality.)

While this may be giving Neo-Yokio too much credit, it is possible that the presence of Charles, the robot butler, may be a spoof on anime's tendency to have giant robots of that style show up where they logically wouldn't fit in; and that the futuristic setting could be a send-up on anime settings veering towards urban fantasy for little reason than that it's cool.

Parse Error wrote:
Now that I can understand, but it still sounds like the execution was not very good.

Yeah, like any other form of storytelling, there can be poorly done satires too. I can think of Pokémon Black and Blue as an example, which also happens to be a poorly done parody. (I was thinking of listing Born in Flames too, but I honestly cannot tell if that movie is a satire or if the writing was serious.)
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I thought you meant that something can only parody one work or a bunch of other specific works.

I thought that's how you interpreted it. Sorry about that, I just used "thing(s)/something" because I couldn't think of a better way to put it, but it made what I was saying about as clear as mud. Now I just need to decide whether I'm feeling masochistic enough to endure a few episodes today.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7