Forum - View topic
GAME: Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Calico



Joined: 05 Jan 2013
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I've already been spoiled on lots of the game, which worries me. Hopefully I'll still me able to enjoy it, because while I know the basic outline, I don't know some of the details? It's probably going to be very different than my experiences with the first two games, at any rate.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roxas4ever



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 124
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I have been looking forward to this game for ages. We're less than a week away now from the Steam release, and I am 100% ready for the despair Cool

That being said, avoiding spoilers has always been really difficult for this franchise (I was spoiled on the ending of the second game part way through playing it, and the ending of the first game years before I even touched it). I'll have to make a point of avoiding YouTube, Tumblr, etc. until I've finished.

How long is the main gameplay in this game? Danganronpa 2 took me about 60 hours for the main game and over 100 for all of the achievements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3469
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
I have been looking forward to this game for ages. We're less than a week away now from the Steam release, and I am 100% ready for the despair Cool

That being said, avoiding spoilers has always been really difficult for this franchise (I was spoiled on the ending of the second game part way through playing it, and the ending of the first game years before I even touched it). I'll have to make a point of avoiding YouTube, Tumblr, etc. until I've finished.

How long is the main gameplay in this game? Danganronpa 2 took me about 60 hours for the main game and over 100 for all of the achievements.


It's comparable to Danganronpa 2 (which is twice the length of Danganronpa 1), maybe a little longer. At most, cases might add an hour each or something, but I didn't time it. It took me 30 hours to finish V3's main game, but I read Very Fast and didn't have too much trouble with trials either.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
Angel Investor



Joined: 13 Nov 2010
Posts: 27
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Really looking forward to this. Already preordered my collector's edition. The first two games were great, and Ultra Despair Girls had a cool story even if the gameplay wasn't as fun.

I'm surprised to see how many people in the comment section have been spoiled when it comes to this series. I always felt that Danganronpa was a kind of underground series that not many people talked about. Guess I was wrong.

By the way, although I've played all the games to date, I still haven't watched the Danganronpa 3 anime series (mainly because I've been waiting for the Western Blu-Ray release, which will be next month according to RightStuffAnime). For people who have watched the anime, I'd be curious to know how well it ties to the games and how people generally feel about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roxas4ever



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 124
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:
I'm surprised to see how many people in the comment section have been spoiled when it comes to this series. I always felt that Danganronpa was a kind of underground series that not many people talked about. Guess I was wrong.

By the way, although I've played all the games to date, I still haven't watched the Danganronpa 3 anime series (mainly because I've been waiting for the Western Blu-Ray release, which will be next month according to RightStuffAnime). For people who have watched the anime, I'd be curious to know how well it ties to the games and how people generally feel about it.


Really? spoiler[Junko Enoshima as the big bad] is all over the Internet (it probably didn't explode stateside until after the anime had aired, but I didn't play the game until it was released on Steam). spoiler[When I finally got around to playing the game, I was confused when she 'died' at the beginning, since I already knew she was the antagonist.]

The Danganronpa 3 anime series does flesh out the overall story, world, and characters, but it feels a bit non-canonical (a lot of people, myself included, were disappointed with how it handled The Incident and the creation of The Remnants of Despair). It's also just not Kodaka at his strongest. I'd recommend watching it the same way I'd recommend playing Ultra Despair Girls: do it to get the complete Danganronpa experience, but don't go into it expecting it to be as strong as the core games.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dtm42



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 14038
Location: currently stalking my waifu
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
After reading this review I went straight to Wikipedia and read the plot summary.

What can I say, I couldn't help myself. I needed to know.

But if that's supposed to be the biggest twist in the history of Ever, I'm quite underwhelmed.


Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
BadNewsBlues



Joined: 21 Sep 2014
Posts: 2572
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Angel Investor wrote:

I'm surprised to see how many people in the comment section have been spoiled when it comes to this series. I always felt that Danganronpa was a kind of underground series that not many people talked about.


If you know where to look it's easy to stumble upon spoilers especially on the internet. I deliberately spoiled myself reading up on V3's Tv Tropes page.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jroa



Joined: 08 Aug 2012
Posts: 351
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
It sounds like all they need to do after this game is invoke the words "alternate universe" and move on. Gundam regularly does that and so does stuff like the Fate series with its infinite spin-offs, among many other examples.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SNaGem



Joined: 23 May 2016
Posts: 40
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
With all due respect, isn't the tagline that its the conclusion a spoiler? I was under the impression that this is separate from the arc that finishes with the anime. The fact you say it's the conclusion spoils that fact...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3469
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
After reading this review I went straight to Wikipedia and read the plot summary.

What can I say, I couldn't help myself. I needed to know.

But if that's supposed to be the biggest twist in the history of Ever, I'm quite underwhelmed.


It's not "the biggest plot twist in the history of ever," it's just an extremely memorable and yeah, controversial experience. It ain't the What, it's the How. Reading the bare bones about plot twists in a thing you haven't seen a second of is not the same as experiencing that thing as a player in real time and being forced to interact with the situation in the way a game makes you do.

SNaGem wrote:
With all due respect, isn't the tagline that its the conclusion a spoiler? I was under the impression that this is separate from the arc that finishes with the anime. The fact you say it's the conclusion spoils that fact...


In trailers and press leading up to its release, the game was being marketed as the conclusion to the main canon of Danganronpa, (though not necessarily the franchise overall, big difference there). And yet, it was also marketed as a standalone thing that doesn't involve the cast from previous games. How can both be true? Welp, play the game and find out!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
navycherub



Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 225
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
From what I recall, DR3 was the "end" of the Hope's Peak Academy story, and DRV3 is (at least marketed as) a new story not connected to Hope's Peak. At the beginning there was some confusion about this because they didn't really announce V3 and 3 at the same time. I mean, they were intentionally vague about it, but I don't think V3 was ever billed as the end of anything in particular except for once when Kodaka said it was the end of that seemingly endless stream of content we got last year, and how Kodaka said he wanted to take a break from the franchise for a while after it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3469
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
navycherub wrote:
From what I recall, DR3 was the "end" of the Hope's Peak Academy story, and DRV3 is (at least marketed as) a new story not connected to Hope's Peak. At the beginning there was some confusion about this because they didn't really announce V3 and 3 at the same time. I mean, they were intentionally vague about it, but I don't think V3 was ever billed as the end of anything in particular except for once when Kodaka said it was the end of that seemingly endless stream of content we got last year, and how Kodaka said he wanted to take a break from the franchise for a while after it.


They were announced at the same time in Japan, though they might have been reported separately depending on what English-language sites you followed. They were also both declared to be conclusions to the Danganronpa "trilogy", albeit in different ways, as detailed in that article and several following interviews.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
navycherub



Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 225
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
You're right, they did announce them at the same time, despite giving so little actual information about DR3. But there is at the very least contradictory stuff in the advertising for the game - this early Famitsu article says "As suggested by the “new” and “new semester” in the title, this game’s setting and characters are completely new and not related to the Kibougamine series", which I suppose doesn't mean it's not the end, but makes the decision to both have an anime literally titled "The End of Hope's Peak" released before the "end" of the trilogy actually happens really weird.

Despite all the typing I'm doing it's not a big deal, I was just surprised to see it called "the end of Danganronpa" because I hadn't seen it described that way before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JacobC
ANN Assistant Editor


Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 3469
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it does seem like a really weird thing that doesn't make much sense the way they dance around it in promotional stuff, but all that will make 100% sense once you beat the game. Looking forward to seeing what fans think! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 428
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
The marketing for DR3 and DRV3 is rather interesting, especially when you take into account the main theme of V3, lies. spoiler[The color motif for the theme of lying in the game is represented by pink, or magenta you could call it. Now, take a look at this, I noticed this a few months back when I watched a playthrough of a fan translation of the game.]

spoiler[http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/dr_3_mirai.jpg]

spoiler[Notice how both the 3 and "End" are colored pink/magenta? That was DR3's lie, it was never the true end of Danganronpa, V3 was the real finale, the real Danganronpa 3. This was clearly planned waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance.]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group