• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Sentai Filmworks Phasing Out DVDs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Something most people don't realize regarding old game on CRT TVs versus HD TVs is that HD televisions have a very small amount of lag...
I know I noticed it after I got an HDTV 4 years ago and hooked up my game consoles ...

This might not be an cure to all, but it might help some.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Was looking through the Sentai Sale going on at rightstufanime at the moment... If Sentai really are serious about phasing out DVDs, it'd be nice if they could go back and release BDs for their many DVD-only titles that are out on Blu-Ray in Japan. Specifically: 11eyes, Abenobashi, Akane-iro ni somaru saka, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Hatsukoi Limited, Kobato, Koihime Musou (all seasons), Kurenai, Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Mahoromatic, Mashiro-iro Symphony, Modern Magic Made Simple, Princess Tutu, Rozen Maiden/Traumend/Ouverture, Tears to Tiara, and Tayutama, among others I may have missed.

Also Azumanga Daioh.

Tears to Tiara did get a Blu-ray release in late 2010 as part of their first wave of sub-only titles that later got dubbed but it was a 2-disc set with 13 episodes in each.

EDIT: Also looking at the other titles, Le Portrait de Petite Cossette is from Aniplex so if Sentai doesn't have that anymore, you're SOL on that one.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ajr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
No-one's mention the fact that Bluray goes off-patent in ≤ 6 years at the latest, possibly much sooner?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Was looking through the Sentai Sale going on at rightstufanime at the moment... If Sentai really are serious about phasing out DVDs, it'd be nice if they could go back and release BDs for their many DVD-only titles that are out on Blu-Ray in Japan. Specifically: 11eyes, Abenobashi, Akane-iro ni somaru saka, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, Hatsukoi Limited, Kobato, Koihime Musou (all seasons), Kurenai, Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, A Little Snow Fairy Sugar, Mahoromatic, Mashiro-iro Symphony, Modern Magic Made Simple, Princess Tutu, Rozen Maiden/Traumend/Ouverture, Tears to Tiara, and Tayutama, among others I may have missed.

Uh, isn't the reason we don't HAVE ADV anymore, except for Sentai, the fact that they lost all those licenses in that big breakup they had with (Shopro?--Who was that licensor that pulled the rug out from under them, that popped the 00's Bubble?)

I wouldn't mind seeing someone resurrect Tutu and Azumanga on Blu, but nowadays it's Funi and Discotek that have taken on the Good Work of preserving ADV's 90's-00's remains.
Eri94

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
The only Blu-ray players in our house are on our computers. And of course the protection on the discs is so strict that it doesn't allow the computers to even recognize those discs. Why on Earth would I invest in Blu-rays if they're actively trying to keep me from watching them? I buy very few series, but frankly now I won't buy any. I'll just have to stick with streaming.
As cheap as they are and as long as they've been out you have no excuse not to have one except for being cheap yourself.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Sentai's pricing, the one thing that bugs me about them isn't that their releases are necessarily more expensive than anyone else's at the get-go, it's that they stay more expensive as time goes on. Like, okay, you want to release your half-season sets for $60-$70 initially to make a good profit off your investment, and I can respect that. (Maybe tossing a token extra or two on some of them would be nice though.) There are only a few series I love enough to buy at that initial price, but I have done it before. But then a year goes by, then two, then sometimes three, and for many series that's all there is, those same initially-priced sets. It took a couple of years before something like From the New World got a compete series release (after I'd already bought the individual sets, but oh well), and shows like Penguindrum have still never received a complete set. And even when the complete sets come out, they're only something like 15-20% less than it would have cost to get the half-season sets originally. You're saving some shelf space, but that's about it. They don't really have any equivalent to FUNi's Anime Classics/S.A.V.E. lines, outside of a few older license-rescues and more niche DVD-only releases. I'd probably have a few more impulse buys from them if they did. Hell, during the last few Sentai sales (and I do give them credit for their frequency) I've waffled on grabbing Parasyte, but while I did enjoy the series, I don't know that I enjoyed it to the tune of $75.

And yeah, I know at the end of the day we're still better off than having to pay $30 a pop for 3-4 episodes, but still, when most of the domestic market sets a certain pricing expectation, the company that doesn't as much tends to stick out. (Discounting the two extortionist elephants in the room, of course.)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of the super cheap discounted sets, because as your post proves, fans start to expect that for everything. Anime home video, especially some of the shows that Sentai, Nozomi, and Discotek specialize in, is simply too niche to release everything at a mass market price.

However, while Sentai doesn't do super cheap re-releases, other than their Sentai Selects line, they do have frequent sales on their site, Right Stuf, Amazon, and others. Parasyte was mentioned, and there was a sale where you could get both collectors editions for $50 total. They also frequently have their regular sets on sale for under $35 at Amazon, and I've seen many of their dubbed Bluray sets in the sub-$30 range. A sale on Sentai's site a few months back had nearly all of their Blurays under $30, and a big chunk under $25. DVD sets are currently 70% off because of them being phased out. You just need to take some time and look for the best price.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Uh, isn't the reason we don't HAVE ADV anymore, except for Sentai, the fact that they lost all those licenses in that big breakup they had with (Shopro?--Who was that licensor that pulled the rug out from under them, that popped the 00's Bubble?)

I wouldn't mind seeing someone resurrect Tutu and Azumanga on Blu, but nowadays it's Funi and Discotek that have taken on the Good Work of preserving ADV's 90's-00's remains.

1. It's Sojitz and ADV didn't lose Abenobashi, Princess Tutu or Azumanga Daioh* from that deal plus all 3 were re-released on DVD last year and are still in print so Blu-ray is still a possibility like it was for Elfen Lied (which btw, STILL needs a Blu-ray re-release in order to fix the dub audio problems).

*-They did lose Azumanga in 2011 but they got it back in late 2015 which is why the recent set is under Sentai Selects and not Aesir Holdings.

2. Some of the other titles he listed are old Geneon rescues that have gotten Blu-ray releases in Japan recently and the rest of them, with the exception of Tiars to Tiara & Le Portrait de Petite Cossette, are from back when Sentai wasn't releasing any of their sub-only titles on Blu-ray (2010-2013). That didn't start happening until December 2013 and while they have gone back to releasing their older shows on the format (like To Love Ru, Hidamari Sketch & Maria-Holic), they haven't done so with these yet for some reason.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:11 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

I believe it was Sojitz.

And you're right about Discotek--I'm always checking out what new old goodies they've rescued from licensing hell! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5