• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 am Reply with quote

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance, slice of life
Themes: computer games, cosplay, dōjinshi, fujoshi, office life, otaku, work life

Plot Summary: Narumi, a female office worker who hides her fujoshi lifestyle, and Hirotaka, a handsome and capable company man who is secretly a game otaku. The two seem perfect for each other, but love is difficult for a nerd. (from manga)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Whoa, didn't expect them to get together by the end of the first eppie! This one looks like it's going to be a hoot.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
This was a great start and met my expectations.

The first episode did its job at highlighting the setting and there's a lighthearted atmosphere. The working folks there all have different personalities but it's really fun to watch thanks to their character chemistry. Narumi is definitely my favorite character so far with her knowledge about different genres and just the way she reacts to certain situations.

The way she bonds with others is very fun to see. The comedy so far looks to be similar to the manga so that's also a plus. There's also other references including Saekano lol (pretty sure we'll see other series by A-1 making cameos as time goes on).

Hoping the animation doesn't degrade though.

The character reactions are absolutely priceless and really won me over so far
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:34 am Reply with quote
Just a look at the name and series picture were enough to get me excited, which in equal measure was enough to make my expectations lower that it would probably be a short form show because it so much looks like something I want. But it is a full length show, and feels like exactly what I want. Making me think of Recovery of an MMO Junkie.

But, so far, while there is a certain chemistry between Narumi and Hirotoka, it really does not feel like romantic chemistry. It indeed looks like Hirotaka has had a thing for her, that it was almost refreshing when she said that she feels nothing, and what they did have felt cute, like Takiya from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, their relationship does not need to be romantic. A little offset that by her admission she was dating the wrong guys, that she was being hypocritical about her position as an otaku, but at this point it feels like she is being forced into something said that she did not want, weakening agency.

Well, I am excited either way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Feels like the chemistry got even better this episode. I do think the episode was a bit weird at revealing the other guy was also an otaku, the first actual bit being a note pointing to him and his girlfriend as "rare otaku who are also good at sports".

Maybe call it cheap, but I liked picking up a bunch of the direct references to things I am familiar with. I don't know about the manga version, but respect to a guy who can also enjoy Yuru Yuri. But really, more and more I like the whole different otaku like what they do, so go ahead fujoshi.

And another thing that is maybe cheap, I am always a fan of RPG menu selection in place of choices. No lie in thinking like that in real life before as a geek. Razz
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I love the quirks in this show. I laughed at the humour that Narumi unwittingly had her boyfriend selling BL manga in her place, realized that a guy could have a troubled time, but he thought the experience was kind of funny, that he actually had someone harass him, and Hanako wanted the details. And the girls getting into fangirl attitude themselves with Hanako in cosplay.

A certain joy about the girls in a way being open to the sexuality, and got right into looking for his stash, and not in a shame way. What Hanako said being a hint that she had gone through Kabakura's.

And plenty of joy from Narumi's many faces, that does give the impression of someone who wears their heart on their sleeves, and the show is comfortable to portray her in many different ways. Standout parts being like when she was in blurred scared/shock face, or her cat smile one mimicking the plushie she was resting on top of while being a bit awkward.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:21 am Reply with quote
I think the main discussion is over on the weekly review Talkback.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Show is a gift....BUT DID ANYONE SPOT IT!?

https://78.media.tumblr.com/fc8e45023f39fe15c6fe3ac0a7996847/tumblr_p82w2521Nt1sk4ylzo1_1280.png

Much hope this was on purpose and not a coincidence. Anime hyper
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

And this episode felt totally relatable to things I have experience, specifically the Smash Bros thing. It was totally Smash Bros, many familiar should have figured it out from the mention of a gamecube controller in addition to the Wii controllers, Smash Bros really being the only one on the Wii U (probably the console, not sure if the Splatoon mentioned was the Wii U first game or Switch sequel) that can use those controls, and are the best controllers to play with. Smash Bros is perfect for social gatherings, and I have had it with quite a few of them, I tend to be among the better players in them, and this felt very true to life with how it is when you get a total noob in them. But you are meant to go easy on them and encourage them.

Also, frappes. Well it is mostly McCaffe for me, but totally felt a connection to Narumi's reaction.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

At least it did not finish at 10 episodes, it felt like one of those. I am a little disappointed that the 6th main character, which I saw art of, only appeared so late in the show. I was feeling a little frustrated with anime pickings this season, but as much as I could say I had problems with others like Real Girl, I can point at this series and say that this one felt like it did right. It was not perfect, it kind of felt like it had a number of restrictions in production, that a bit of creative art would have to be chosen over something well animated. I also look at the parts where they have the sort of game voice that spoke like a robot when making a reference as if they were a game, feeling a little amateur. But those parts did still add a charm, like it is the weird stuff going on in their heads.

I will actually say the characters were fun, fitting into their niche of otaku, which had me especially happy where we just as much got a degree of their interests, because it understood as much as we can stand together as under the umbrella, there can be a big diversity of what might especially be ones thing. The main pair especially bring to mind the pair from Monthly Shoujo Nozaki-kun, not like a copy, there are differences, but like I much rather a main character like Narumi or Chiyo, than a lot of female romance leads. Although, I might kind of say that it almost felt like could run out of energy part way through scenes. I probably don't know what I am talking about.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I give a rating of Good (7/10), it was worth watching, and I would like to continue to watch more shows with adults like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1