View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote

Kujira no Kora wa Sajō ni Utau (TV)

Genres: Sci-Fi, Mystery, Drama, Fantasy, Shoujo
Themes

Plot Summary:
Quote:
A boy named Chakuro lives on the giant vessel Mud Whale that drifts over the sea of sand. Chakuro and his friends have never seen anyone from the outside world, and they spend their days yearning to explore and learn about it. One day, a ruined ship suddenly drifts ashore, and Chakura meets a girl inside.
(from manga)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've only read a few chapters of the manga but the visual style of the show so far really has my attention. Not to mention, the premise of the story interests me a lot as I like fantasy and creative world fiction. Hoping the best for this show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Wow, I love the visual style of this show. Very aesthetic and pleasing to the eye.
Well done JC Staff.

The show also has a colorful cast and setting. Chakuro is an interesting character so far as well. The world building of this show looks really well crafted with the refreshing feel. Saimia is a deadly ability that I have no doubt will be a recurring element in this show.

Good episode. Rikosu is a mysterous character, hope we find out more about her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
This does look like this is a series which is going to go a way to build its world, at first just trying to put some pieces together. It does seem that the Mud Whale is a splinter from the wider world which may have a very different culture, perhaps more militarily minded. Emotions are a sticking point, where people on the Mud Whale try to keep them under wraps by self discipline, but there are apparently people elsewhere who lack emotions for some reason. The emotion thing might be something that drains the marked ones, so elsewhere they remove the emotions so that they can be weapons, and unmarked people on the Whale also partake to be fare in giving marked people a slightly longer life.

It is also pretty despite the show's environment apparently being oceans of sand.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 am Reply with quote
It's been quite a while since I watched a first episode that was as captivating as this. I hope it keeps up with this level of quality and interest. I might actually watch this ep again since I feel like there were a lot of implications to pick up on.

The one thing I don't quite like is the animation. The backgrounds, color schemes, and character designs are quite nice, but the motion itself is kind of lackluster.

A lot of exposition, but it was interleaved pretty well, and it fit into context of the main character being a record keeper and writing for people in future times to understand the context.

One of the themes I seem to be getting here is the ability care about the distant future, or about things that are grander in scale or in time than yourself. It seems the marked, with their short lifespans are forced to live in the present as opposed to those who live longer. It makes sense for the longer lived ones to be in charge, but i think this might also be a bit of a metaphor for certain kinds of inequality in work, where the 'lower' ranked people do all the hard and dangerous stuff, while the 'higher' ranked ones just benefit from it and expend others' life for their own gains.

I like the culture these people have, and how it is different form our own, but it's not being portrayed yet like it's either utopic or completely dysfunctional.

That ED song is really amazing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
Well, the show is done with introductions and is really shifting gears. Episode two leaves us on quite a shocking cliffhanger. spoiler[I hope Sami survives getting shot, though since she is a childhood friend character her odds of survival are not great.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1