• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime-Gataris (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Anime-Gataris (TV)

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: anime club, parody, school club, school life

Plot Summary: Minoa Asagaya is a new high school student in Sakaneko Private High School. Despite being a novice to anime, Minoa's classmate Arisu Kamiigusa invites her to make an "anime research club" at school. Through conversations with her classmate Miko Kōenji, as well as various anime-loving upperclassmen, Minoa gradually gets hooked on anime. While they stand against the student council's continuous efforts to disband their club, and they ignore the impending end of the world, they talk about anime, whether in Akiba, or in real-life "sacred place" anime settings, or the hot springs.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

Of course an anime about anime is going to get attention for those who really like anime, and I quite enjoyed the first episode. The characters seem cute in their own ways, and otherwise funny, the show playing with itself not being entirely serious by seeming to throw in some mystical elements like a talking cartoon cat and some sort of mysterious beret. And it did feel very familiar in how Arisu started to gush about anime, I am sure that I have not been too different before.

I feel kind of the need to maybe to understand all of the series that Arisu was mentioning, there were certainly some references to specific anime there, such as Re:Zero. But I also put my attention that she mentioned "Time Travel Shounen", clearly a reference to Time Travel Girl (Shoujo), which I consider a sort of hidden gem that not many people saw, also mentioning its pretty good OP, with specific mention to the fence jump. Wait a minute, need to make sure of something.... well dah, of course it mentioned it, Wao World is producing this show, which also did Time Travel Girl.

Anyway, I do have my on this too as something of good fun.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I can deal with the idea of a talking cat, especially in a comedy about anime. Also so far all the "mysterious beret" seems to have done is go astray into the hands of an individual whose only activity seems to be sitting on a bench and sweating. What does bother me is the butler who appears (and disappears) with the snap of his mistresses fingers. He seems to be attached to the school as he didn't go home with her. I find that freaky.
Quote:
and they ignore the impending end of the world,

I think I have some sort of emotional whiplash here. I will say though that if the world was about to end, ignoring it is about the only thing you can do. It is not like you can evacuate.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

"Bunny girl outfits are needed for recruiting for a club". I get that reference, even the music that was accompanying soon afterwards was very reminiscent of Haruhi's more subtle music. There were a number of other references too, like more recent stuff, which feels more relevant. Got to question what type of person is not team Rem when asked about favourite characters and notes liking Betelgeuse.

Similar to last season's Gamers we also got to see how people in parts of the same fandom can turn pretty aggressive to each other over specific differences. And it actually feels like something I can relate to, the fighting of original vs adaption. A person finding a problem with an anime, which a person responds that something is done in the original that addresses it, and then it kind of feels a bit of conflict when the first think it does not express what the anime does and it can kind of feel like the second is being elite over the original. I am sure we have had it quite a bit in discussions on this site. I am certainly part of the group that mostly watches anime and not the originals first.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

This anime makes me want to have some sort of reference to look up all the references, kind of like someone did with Nyaruko-san in the past. A song started to play when they entered the anime store and I could swear that I knew what it was from, and after a few repeats my guess was on the OP from Akiba Strip, somewhat relevant in Akiba, maybe. A lot of random idols had me think of Love Live, but it could have been lots of things. The part he mentioned about uses of non-weapons as weapons made me pick paper perhaps Cheating Craft (which would be odd), coins: Misaka Mikoto, although even electricity would fit her.

They mentioned the 3 episode rule. And mentioned one of the famous examples of Madoka. Followed by I think Love Live in how success was not instant. Actually goes into a bit of a rant of what episode 3 can be, ironically this being the third episode, all of this coming from the characters wanting to copy an anime that did the club thing, which was accused of only being talking and not much interesting.

A mention of an anime with a favourite speech, it being a reference to Maoyu, which indeed is a good choice of a great speech (I am human). In fact, it seemed the speech later was inspired by that speech, which had me laugh a bit in how they were taking the temp of it and making it about anime.

I think the show actually has a good handle of modern anime, along with being meta. Does it pass the 3 episode test?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It does for me! I think this show is a hoot.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
This show is definitely a keeper! My favorite parody title in this episode was Micross Gamma (predictable, I know!)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Enjoyed the discussion over the importance of disc sales and the role of production committees. Interesting to learn that Erika-senpai and the school council prez had a past together. It seems like the student council's attempts to shut down the anime club really will be the overarching storyline for the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought it interesting that they brought up overseas distribution, along with how Erika went overseas and connected with people (likely USA) over anime. That she went to a cosplaying event, and it felt kind of a genuine. Additionally, not just the wanting to support anime industry with buying stuff, but they are rather expensive and some restraint needs to be used.

Also, I got a laugh out of the anime idol rant, especially from seeing so many myself. Something inherently funny from knowing that it is purposefully exaggerating some of it, but I think also from a sort of place of love. Also got a laugh out of the trying to help other clubs and it going so wrong, the clearly exaggerated cooking club going with an explosion in a later scene you can see the blown out window and wreckage on the ground.

And not without there being multiple references to random other anime, especially Konosuba, someone taking pleasure in some of Aqua's mistakes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Referenced series:
Dub Tone: (Actually not sure)
Sweetness and Champion: Mot like Sweetness and Lightning, a pretty good choice
Ange Visual: My guess would be Ange Vierge, which is kind of little known, but I consider as pretty good.
Ru:Zero: Re:Zero, clearly, which makes me a little annoyed that I did not catch the similarities of the mascot to Puck. Interesting that someone new into the shows would seem to be a fan of it.
Anosuba: Knosuba

Actually planning to go to a local large convention this weekened.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Referenced series:
Dub Tone: (Actually not sure)
Pretty sure that this was shown to refer to Love Live in previous episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Girls und Panzer! The music even having a touch of influence

"Yuri!!! on Nice" Laughing
Wait, was that actually foreshadowing? A little joke where the show was pointing out at looking at foreshadowing where there was none in the girl liking him, but acting as a big fujoshi.

Kai made me feel embarrassed. But I think in a good way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Pretty much right out of the gate it made a Love Live reference with its "previously on Anime-Gataris!", with the group shouting the show title. Even music I think had allusions. What does it say that this segment alone had me laughing in similarity.

AKIBAKO? Oh, an actual Shirobako reference, even mentioning about the race of anime production. At least the dad seems to have come out as an otaku. Classic GUrren Lagan reference. Was that Shirai Kuroko?

The anime they made was pretty charming.
A novel way to use the ED of the show for the in show anime.
And an actual ebnding played out at karaoke, could that be a Luck Star reference?

This show I think is just great in understanding the passion of the genre.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

The track team singing "Hina" clearly influenced by their version of Yowamushi Pedal with the Hime song. Laughing
Okay, things were starting to get weird with the clubs copying anime.

Would this be like a bunch of genre invading this show's slice of life? I am reminded of a joke in Hayate the Combat Butler where characters said Hayate's old school was a normal school, including various random anime tropes. Or like Kill la Kill's random clubs, and the rules of the world are falling apart.

Are some of the characters like aware that they are inside of an anime, and that things can get too crazy?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:52 am Reply with quote
It's an interesting question, DP. The show broke its "pure" SoL genre back when it first introduced a talking cat but for a long time that was the only non-SoL element. It definitely is adding to that with rocket boots et al.

Did not see that betrayal coming. I hope there is some redeeming feature of it other than just, "heh-heh-heh, I've been a villain all along."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

A "just Yui" OP, at least that is what I will call it. It was pretty funny that I think after the episodes had kept inserting clips of Minoa's friend, Yui, that they tried to stretch an entire OP almost entirely consisting of her, to the point where a part of Minoa being chased by a bunch of anime characters has Yui's face randomly thrown over everyone else's.

Things got crazy there, but they found out that the principal made the anime that Yui is a fan of. There seemed to be an interesting dynamic there in talking about the harsh reaction to something (an anime) that people put a lot of work into, and the people who stand by it. I am pretty sure I can look at anime that totally did not work in their first episode, yet somehow turn it around later, and or still being excited with what they could do next.

Anyway, the episode still seemed to play around with the concept that the rules of their reality are breaking, Minoa commenting it odd that the rain coming off of the principal's despair was real, and more hints that there be something with Aurora. Kind of keeping to my theory of the show clearly being about it actually being an anime, and thus the setting can bend to how anime can go. Aurora having been trying to control that, set up as a villain, but I don't know. Also, his backstory he made up totally sounded like a rip off of Osomatsu-san, especially with a focus on Todomatsu having a job at the coffee shop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2