• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation Clarifies Status of Possible FunimationNow App on Nintendo Switch in Statement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
HOW ABOUT DISTRIBUTING ANIME IN SOUTH AMERICA FUNIMATION?!
WE ARE TIRED OF WAITING A WHOLE YEAR FROM VIZ MIDIA TO BRING ONLY 1 ANIME AND OTHER DISTRIBUTORS HERE ARE A CRAP IN THE LICENSING DEPARTMENT... Mad
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:06 am Reply with quote
Funimation can only service territories they have the rights to. Go yell at your local distributor for the Funimation app.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:23 am Reply with quote
Talk about a non-answer.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
The Switch doesn't even have Netflix yet so I don't expect a much smaller company's video service to be released any faster.

Netflix executive: “In the case of the Switch, they (Nintendo) were very focused at launch not on video-use cases, but on gaming cases, video was not a priority for them,”
SleepOverFunction

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
The Switch doesn't even have Netflix yet so I don't expect a much smaller company's video service to be released any faster.

Netflix executive: “In the case of the Switch, they (Nintendo) were very focused at launch not on video-use cases, but on gaming cases, video was not a priority for them,”
That statement is as much as a non-statement as the Funimation one when you consider that there's a Nico and a Hulu app on the Switch already. It's clear that is a money situation that is preventing Netflix to be on the system.

Nintendo has stake in Nico douga and Hulu has Julian Eggebrecht which was the ex-president of Factor 5 so they have a good relationship with Nintendo.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Considering how well the Switch is doing more companies need to start developing video apps for it.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
BringBackUzume wrote:
Funimation can only service territories they have the rights to. Go yell at your local distributor for the Funimation app.

There's a problem here. FUNimation has the rights to Latin America for a number of titles, due to a lot of times the Japanese packaging North America and Latin America as one region. Yet, they have not streamed in those regions, for reasons I don't understand. Seemed like even Crunchyroll had to twist FUNimation's arm to let them stream in Latin America for My Hero Academia (a show that FUNimation has the World Wide rights to, and initially omitted Latin America from CR's streams). I can confirm on my side that some titles they absolutely have the rights to for Latin America, but haven't done anything with them, and it's absolutely frustrating.
sputn1k

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:22 pm Reply with quote
formcomp wrote:
That statement is as much as a non-statement as the Funimation one when you consider that there's a Nico and a Hulu app on the Switch already. It's clear that is a money situation that is preventing Netflix to be on the system.

Nintendo has stake in Nico douga and Hulu has Julian Eggebrecht which was the ex-president of Factor 5 so they have a good relationship with Nintendo.

Nintendo does not own a stake in Niconico. Niconico is fully owned by Dwango, which in turn is fully owned by the Kadokawa Dwango holding.
Hulu Japan is fully operated by Nippon TV - they just licensed the name from Hulu US after absorbing Hulu's own Japanese operations a couple of years ago.

Either way, Nintendo likely opted to work with these 2 partners simply because they are Japanese, and Japan is their core market. If you onboard a video partner, you will do so in your most important region, dealing with people who speak your language and follow the same laws.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
WE ARE TIRED OF WAITING A WHOLE YEAR FROM VIZ MIDIA TO BRING ONLY 1 ANIME AND OTHER DISTRIBUTORS HERE ARE A CRAP IN THE LICENSING DEPARTMENT... Mad

Yeah no. F THAT!

How about fix the freaking app first. It’s an embarrassment and a land mine of bugs throughout the app. You aren’t missing much anyway in its current state.

(And besides,Funimation doesn’t even have the rights to do it anyway. You are barking up the wrong tree)
SleepOverFunction

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
sputn1k wrote:
formcomp wrote:

Nintendo does not own a stake in Niconico. Niconico is fully owned by Dwango, which in turn is fully owned by the Kadokawa Dwango holding.
Hulu Japan is fully operated by Nippon TV - they just licensed the name from Hulu US after absorbing Hulu's own Japanese operations a couple of years ago.

Either way, Nintendo likely opted to work with these 2 partners simply because they are Japanese, and Japan is their core market. If you onboard a video partner, you will do so in your most important region, dealing with people who speak your language and follow the same laws.
Aah, unless they sold those they did buy stakes on Dwango: https://www.google.com.br/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2013/11/15/5108696/nintendo-buys-stake-in-niconico-owner-dwango and I believe the Hulu deal is mostly focused on the US side. In fact the hulu app is not even available in Japan as far as I'm aware.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
ARC-1300 wrote:
Weird Guy wrote:

Yeah no. F THAT!

How about fix the freaking app first. It’s an embarrassment and a land mine of bugs throughout the app. You aren’t missing much anyway in its current state.

(And besides,Funimation doesn’t even have the rights to do it anyway. You are barking up the wrong tree)

The FunimationNoiw app is the only app on my PS4 that crashes, the only one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1