• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kakegurui Anime Has Original Ending

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axbox360

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:
GMArcturus wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:
ETX wrote:
And just like that it's on my dropped list. Shame as I liked the manga a lot.

I mean you could watch 11 episodes since they adapt the manga pretty material pretty well in my opinion, then go back to reading the manga. This 12th episode might be interesting to see just because the manga author drafted the script according to this article. I'm just going to think of it like an alternate reality ending, because I'll still be reading the manga after the anime ends anyhow.

Why would someone do that? Either start with the manga and move to the anime if the anime goes all the way through the manga or just stick with the manga. Going from moving pictures with sound to a book in the middle of an arc doesn't make any sense.

What? I've been reading the manga since before the anime came out and have been way ahead of the anime material for a long time. I still enjoy the anime adaptation because of the animation, color, voice acting, sound effects, and so fourth.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
I´m pretty glad that anime creators are welcoming more anime-original content, understanding that they DONT NEED TO COPY THE SOURCE MATERIAL.

Now, can we have more anime series not adapting exactly 1:1 the source material, and including more anime-original content please? That´ll make the industry better

What are you talking about? If the source material is really good why would the anime adaption make up random original material and cram it into the show? Especially if it's not done by the original author, that typically ruins the original author's plans and story flow. Are you saying filler content is good? As in more anime should have Naruto levels of filler? I rather not get unnecessary filler. Original endings often aren't great either.
The only possible way you make any sense to me is if you're talking about minor changes, like anime is a different format so it should be done a bit differently than the manga, an anime for example should often times show you things instead of explaining them to you like the manga does, because you can show things through animation that you might normally have to explain in a book. Along with several other things. But it sounds more like you want massive big changes that would probably just make the story worse. I'm not certain how that would benefit the anime industry.

Canon content like Fairy Tail's manga can be bad too. There I said it. Never liked this anime anyways.
DreamyReality

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
Ratings must have been poor for the series which is disappointing because it's highly entertaining.

No, I don't think so. I read a few articles that came out this month that this series is one of the top most popular series of the season (which isn't saying much though since it's still not THAT popular, and none of the summer seasonal anime is that popular). It's just that, like someone else said, they're making this adaption for the intent of promoting the original source.
PulsarSmash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Kinda figured the anime would have an original ending. As long as its somewhat conclusive I think that's fine. They can always bring it back for a second season if the demand is there.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:21 pm Reply with quote
And there goes season two... Thought this was popular and was selling enough.
Alcest

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Is this newsworthy? The vast majority of manga adaptations have original endings...
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Alcest wrote:
Is this newsworthy? The vast majority of manga adaptations have original endings...

Well yeah, if it was something like Isekai Smartphone getting original ending, it wouldn't matter.
But when it's a show that's good or actually interesting, chopping it's head like this making a sequel almost certainly impossible, it's newsworthy I think.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Alcest wrote:

Well yeah, if it was something like Isekai Smartphone getting original ending, it wouldn't matter.
But when it's a show that's good or actually interesting, chopping it's head like this making a sequel almost certainly impossible, it's newsworthy I think.

I don't think comparing it to Isekai Smartphone to prove your point helps, as this series was really fun in the beginning, but began to feel stale mid-season (just like Smartphone). I could feel how much they were rushing things and started to lose interest. I never read the manga, so since they have no plans on making a second season, I'm glad they wrapped things up... even if they STILL left a bit of a tease at the end.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:
Alcest wrote:

I don't think comparing it to Isekai Smartphone to prove your point helps, as this series was really fun in the beginning, but began to feel stale mid-season (just like Smartphone). I could feel how much they were rushing things and started to lose interest. I never read the manga, so since they have no plans on making a second season, I'm glad they wrapped things up... even if they STILL left a bit of a tease at the end.

Well... that's your personal opinion of the show, the news are meant for all the fans and most were enjoying it. What I said regarding Kakegurui, is that the general audience like it more than dislike it(at least western audiences) and when an anime that most people thought was successful gets the original ending("axed") it's newsworthy. I compared it to Smartphone and I still think it's a valid comparison cause if Smartphone is a bad anime without a doubt and it's being adapted without original content, means it can still get sequels and Kakegurui which is a better anime, getting an original ending like this removing chances of sequels is ludicrous.
Nick4x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Nick4x wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:
Alcest wrote:

Well... that's your personal opinion of the show, the news are meant for all the fans and most were enjoying it. What I said regarding Kakegurui, is that the general audience like it more than dislike it(at least western audiences) and when an anime that most people thought was successful gets the original ending("axed") it's newsworthy. I compared it to Smartphone and I still think it's a valid comparison cause if Smartphone is a bad anime without a doubt and it's being adapted without original content, means it can still get sequels and Kakegurui which is a better anime, getting an original ending like this removing chances of sequels is ludicrous.

And just as you said, calling Smartphone "a bad anime without a doubt" is your personal opinion of the show. Your opinion of either show is no more valid than mine. I don't view Kakegurui as a better anime because I personally felt it became lackluster during the third gamble, around the same episode Smartphone began to hit a lull in its appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I liked both shows overall, but neither one really developed much after they hit a certain point. They just kept rolling without giving the main characters any genuine feeling of development. They were both very much "go with the flow" anime, which in all honesty suited Smartphone much better, as it wasn't trying to be anything serious. Kakegurui, on the other hand, felt like it wanted to have its cake and eat it, too, with some decidedly eye-rolling gambles and masturbation scenes side-by-side its "show what it means to be a human" analogies (which it never followed up on in any meaningful way).

Kakegurui is a fun, yet very flawed anime, and while your opinion of it may be higher than that of other series, that doesn't make those series inferior. They're just not to your tastes.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Nick4x wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:
Nick4x wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:
Alcest wrote:

And just as you said, calling Smartphone "a bad anime without a doubt" is your personal opinion of the show. Your opinion of either show is no more valid than mine. I don't view Kakegurui as a better anime because I personally felt it became lackluster during the third gamble, around the same episode Smartphone began to hit a lull in its appeal.

Don't get me wrong, I liked both shows overall, but neither one really developed much after they hit a certain point. They just kept rolling without giving the main characters any genuine feeling of development. They were both very much "go with the flow" anime, which in all honesty suited Smartphone much better, as it wasn't trying to be anything serious. Kakegurui, on the other hand, felt like it wanted to have its cake and eat it, too, with some decidedly eye-rolling gambles and masturbation scenes side-by-side its "show what it means to be a human" analogies (which it never followed up on in any meaningful way).

Kakegurui is a fun, yet very flawed anime, and while your opinion of it may be higher than that of other series, that doesn't make those series inferior. They're just not to your tastes.

I knew you would reply more or less that, I get what you are saying, you don't like it that much so it shouldn't be newsworthy.
What I was trying to say is that, it's considered newsworthy by the general audience, your opinion doesn't matter just like mine doesn't matter as much as yours. The news are meant for all of "us" not for you and I alone, so in general people like it more than not so it's newsworthy generally speaking even though you don't think so. I used Smartphone cause "us" westerns doesn't like it very much, well it's a fact the average is 6 for it and Kakeguri was an 8 before this last original episode, but it's just general opinion.
Now personally speaking I like Kakegurui more than Smartphone, more or less because of the opposite of what you like of Smartphone. Well I hate anime that doesn't make an effort cause I refuse to believe that there are shows that are purposely made to try to be bad or not that good, but that's just my line of thinking, but if you prefer Smartphone more I have no problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2