• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Does The Flower Blossom? Boys-Love Manga Gets Live-Action Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
:< It seems like live action adaptations cost less compared to anime given how many live action adaptations we're getting of BL vs. anime of BL.

I'm happy it's BL but I'm a bit disappointed it's live action instead of anime.
Nauxil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Agreed. I would be a lot happier with an anime adaptation too, but this is better than nothing. We can only hope for an anime adaptation...
Songster01

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Have to agree! I just prefer animation. Still, if it's done respectfully, I will probably support it. Sounds like it avoids the worst tropes that are usually a turn-off for me, so I will now give the manga a read!
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Echoing the wish that it was an anime adaptation. Most live action BL adaptations are usually very awkwardly performed and directed and therefore hard to watch. The very slight exception was the live action of Doushitemo Furetakunai but only because of Masashi Taniguchi's very solid performance. Even then, the love scene was pretty cringey.

I wish they had chosen to adapt Yūutsu na Asa (Blue Morning) instead of Does the Flower Blossom?. There's more meat in Blue Morning's story and it's a period piece. Does the Flower Blossom? is much fluffier (and almost boring) in comparison.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Didn't recognize the English title of the series until I looked at the preview image and noticed it was Hidaka Shoko's art. If they are going to adapt one of her series, my preference would also be for Yuuutsu na Asa, but I would want an anime, not live action. I prefer my bl in 2D and really have no interest in live action.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:
:< It seems like live action adaptations cost less compared to anime given how many live action adaptations we're getting of BL vs. anime of BL.

I'm happy it's BL but I'm a bit disappointed it's live action instead of anime.

It definitely is cheaper to go live-action, but a part of it is that adult women are the demographic quadrant least likely to buy anime of any kind; even josei/ older-targeted shoujo mostly gets live action adaptations rather than anime.

Which is a pity, since they're usually sub-par, especially the BL ones. Plus you lose out on the pretty art. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1