• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Drastic Character Design Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Martian Successor / Mobile Battleship Nadesico has entirely different character deisgns between the Kia Asamiya manga (which came later) and the Keiji Gotoh character designs in the anime.

As far as Tylor goes, note that the currently airing shorts are also different.
Suisho Kasumi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
A little correction on Cyber Formula: the proper character designer prior to Saga was actually Takahiro Yoshimatsu, while Inomata was only credited with "Character Conceptual Design" (キャラクターデザイン原案), even in the original TV series (similar to how in Code Geass, CLAMP is credited with original/conceptual character design, but Takahiro Kimura is the actual character designer). Inomata did quite a bit artwork for the series (even after Hisayuki took over as chara designer), though, including the LD/VHS/DVD cover art for OAVs and a piece of artwork used in the ending animation of Saga.
By the way, chara designer was not the only change in the main staff of Cyber Formula between Zero and Saga - late Chiaki Morosawa became the sole writer at the same time, and Toshihiko Sahashi replaced Kou Otani as the music composer. These changes most likely have something to do with Sunrise reorganising around the time, and the whole Cyber Formula production moving to another sub-studio in their internal structure (from Studio 7 to re-estabilished Studio 6 between Zero and Saga, then again to newly estabilished Studio 10 mid-Saga) during that process.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Given the results of the last poll, I am apparently the only person looking forward to the new season of Wake Up, Girls!

I was kind of interested on it, but the other day I watched part of a trailer, and the new look completely killed my interest.

relyat08 wrote:
Damn, no Juuni Taisen on here at all, eh? I'm surprised people seem so disinterested in that show. It's basically freaking Monogatari/Katanagatari x Fate/Zero/Battle Royale, for Christ's sake.

I actually just discovered this show a couple of days ago. I am definitely interested. The visuals and attitude intrigue me.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I see this type of thing occur in some of the older OVA's of 80's and 90's; for example in Megazone 23, main characters Shogo Yahagi, Yui Takanaka, and BD have drastic character design changes going into Part II. Bubblegum Crisis (OVA Series) and Devil Hunter Yohko goes through this as well over the course of using different animation character designers for specific episodes whose style is opposite from those from the previous episode(s).
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Damn, no Juuni Taisen on here at all, eh? I'm surprised people seem so disinterested in that show. It's basically freaking Monogatari/Katanagatari x Fate/Zero/Battle Royale, for Christ's sake.

I think there isn't too much intersection there, though.Both sides have plenty of detractors too, so I can see this being passed by people.

Hell, if it wasn't Nisio I'd give it a pass.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I bet I'm like...one of the only people to vote for Clamp's little manga Wish. Cardcaptor Sakura is my second favorite but I just LOVE Wish's aesthetic, the designs of the angels and demons, and the fun and goofy dynamics between all of the characters. It's one series I've held onto forever since buying it as a teen <3

But I'm the only person I know who has even HEARD of it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
@Wingbeats

You are not the only one who remembers Wish. I found it one of CLAMP's more compelling stories. I also voted for it.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
What about Beyblade. The first series changed the designs with each season. Especially between season one and two.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
As mai yukino mentioned, I'm really surprised that the very drastic character design changes of Megazone 23 to Megazone 23 Part 2 wasn't mentioned! Toshihiro Hirano and Yasuomi Umetsu's art styles are quite different from each other, making both parts of Megazone 23 look like they're entirely different stories.
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
In terms of the Clamp poll question: where's the JoJo doujin in which spoiler[Kakyoin lays an egg containing his and Jotarou's son?] :mrgreen:
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
As mai yukino mentioned, I'm really surprised that the very drastic character design changes of Megazone 23 to Megazone 23 Part 2 wasn't mentioned! Toshihiro Hirano and Yasuomi Umetsu's art styles are quite different from each other, making both parts of Megazone 23 look like they're entirely different stories.

Yeah, Megazone 23 was a big one for me. A lot of people loved the change, but I personally found it distracting. It threw off the flow of the story.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The first two I definitely agree with. God, I cannot stand Ash's face, it looks like he has a weird mustache!!

And Sailor Moon Crystal, oh tell me about it, the art/animation for the first two seasons were so horrid, not only did it look like it cost about a single coin to make, Sailor Moon hentai doujinshi and OVA parodies looked better than it!! Even though that horrible low quality animation was one of the bigger things that hurt Crystal, high quality animation wouldn't have saved it from poor writing/characterization and storytelling, why anyone would think the original 90's classic (with the first three seasons being masterpieces despite their flaws) is inferior a modern soulless adaptation of a decent yet flawed manga is beyond me.

Season III's art was better but still pales compared to the 90's Toei's version. It kinda reminds me of Escaflowne's in a way, the characters have big pointed noses.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't know that Magic Knight was made by CLAMP. :O
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
I bet I'm like...one of the only people to vote for Clamp's little manga Wish...

I found a volume of it once in a library, and thought it was pretty cute. However, I found three choices better than it - Angelic Layer (one of my first anime, but not the first), Clover (the manga was so gorgeous in the Dark Horse omnibus release) and of course Cardcaptor Sakura (which I love as a magical girl fan).

relyat08 wrote:
Damn, no Juuni Taisen on here at all, eh?

That just missed the cutoff for me, but I was really excited to see the first chapter of the manga on the Shonen Jump website. I dunno about Fate or the -gataris, but maybe people think Juuni Taisen's being overpromoted a little?
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
The backlash to Sun and Moon's art is mostly a western fandom thing. I haven't really noticed fans on Japanese sites complain about it much, if at all.

-Stuart Smith

If you want to see Japanese fans complaining about everything, go view the matome or LINE news sharing sites. Those were the first places I heard of people complaining about the designs, since they release press leaks and such early as well. Japanese fans were just as weirded out by the designs. NicoDouga and Youtube both had plenty of videos by Japanese fans complaining, too. All I saw in the English fanbase was on Facebook and Youtube, with a few complaints here.

Wingbeats wrote:
I bet I'm like...one of the only people to vote for Clamp's little manga Wish. Cardcaptor Sakura is my second favorite but I just LOVE Wish's aesthetic, the designs of the angels and demons, and the fun and goofy dynamics between all of the characters. It's one series I've held onto forever since buying it as a teen <3

Hardly. I didn't vote for it as my top, but that doesn't stop me from owning all four volumes in Japanese and English, including the newer Japanese re-releases with the new illustrations. Kobato being set in the same world was also a nice touch, too, for both the anime and the manga. As for me, Tsubasa is my favorite manga ever (not because it's technically the best manga or anything, but because I'm a diehard CLAMP fan and it's like a love-letter to me, also having been the biggest single influential work on my life), Chobits is my favorite love-themed manga by CLAMP (forbidden relationships everywhere!), and RG Veda is my favorite classic CLAMP work (I can't help but love tragedies). I had too many favorites here, but I had to choose 3 at most, so I went with the three that have the most personal effect on me as a person, an artist, and a CLAMP fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4