• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Drastic Character Design Changes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
I notice that the 1990s reboots that are Dirty Pair Flash and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 are absent here.

Personally, I preferred the look of the characters in 2040 to those of the original OVA.

I don't mind most of them, but what they did to Nene was unforgivable!
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
It's very cool to see Future GPX Cyber Formula mentioned.

One thing about that series that has the drastic art changing going for it is the series progresses roughly six going on seven years story time in the span of the first 37 ep TV series to the final OVA "SIN".

After all, If I am not wrong, Asuka and Hayato got engaged. They are not fourteen anymore.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote
The XY series had the most well-refined production values in comparison to other sagas of the Pokemon anime in my opinion, but it was not without some animation errors either.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
Though I didn't vote for it, I too have fond memories of Wish. And though I couldn't give it the vote either, Miyuki-chan in Wonderland remains a fave from CLAMP. I have both the anime and manga, and just thinking about either makes me chuckle even now. I really wish at times that these polls would allow you to choose the top three, especially off a long list.
Zork

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
The difference in character design that struck me was Kuribayashi of GATE. The manga version of Kuribayashi looked as if she could beat up an entire platoon. The anime version looked as if she belonged as an extra character in a Love Live! or Idolm@ster episode.

What struck me as especially strange was most of the other GATE anime characters looked pretty much as their manga counterparts. Confused
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Drastic Character design changes but there's no mention of My Romantic Life is Wrong as I expected!? I really love the designs of the first season, from beady eyed Hachiman to perky yet focused Yui. And then everything was softened for season two. Hachiman's eyes got larger and his constant sneer was changed to a look of a disinterested slacker with sleepy eyes. The changes in the other two leads were more subtle but since the whole shows hinges upon that initial feeling of disgust characters get when first meeting Hachiman, making him into a kind of non threatening background character rather than outright social reject was not the way to go.

As an aside that face of Misty in the thumbnail is starting to disturb me. It's like she got into a teleporter with a "Have a nice Day!" smiley face...

Favorite CLAMP work of all time? Code Geass.... 50% of a successful animation production starts with character design and this is CLAMP at their best. Also, leaving the story up to someone else is a good idea.... keeps the creep factor down
Suisho Kasumi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
It's very cool to see Future GPX Cyber Formula mentioned.

One thing about that series that has the drastic art changing going for it is the series progresses roughly six going on seven years story time in the span of the first 37 ep TV series to the final OVA "SIN". Although the first series is a TV series and the remaining four OVAs they progress in a linear story line, unlike other circa series that had say a TV and OVA running alongside (Tenchi, El Hazard, Battle Athletes, etc).

The best way to think of the art change is similar to the Harry Potter syndrome, where you see a character "growing up" of sorts with the story both literally and figuratively.

Yeah, but even considering that characters age, the art style shift between Zero and Saga is still drastic. I mean, Kyoko is twenty something IIRC, so she shouldn't change that much during the few months that passed from the end of Zero, but I barely recognized her when watching Saga for the first time. Though at least Bootsvortz got some convincing excuse for his redesign (newer cybernetic implants). There were some lesser design changes between each series, both to acknowledge characters growing up (the opening of Zero nicely shows how Hayato changed from the start of TV series to that point) and for other reasons (Hisayuki slightly re-designed most of the characters again after Saga ended, which is when pretty much all of the cast is already adult so not that much need to adjust for age, and in particular changed Kaga's scar, which was always crescent-shaped until then, to more realistic hookish shape), but the Zero-Saga transition redesign is the most striking.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, so no mention of Dragon Ball Super... I think it was worth to be in this list.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Hmm, so no mention of Dragon Ball Super... I think it was worth to be in this list.

Did GT also have a weird character design change as well to it?
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Nah, the designs were the same or to be accurate they were improved here and there I think, cause it was newer.
GT had the same vibe as Dragon Ball and Z.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
I caught the last Kino series thinking it was something else but found it interesting, if not a bit depressing. It did seem to end in the middle of the story.

I'd have to say that xxxHolic was my favorite CLAMP series. It was one of the most adult oriented shows and had an interesting supernatural quality about it.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:
Xiximaro wrote:

Nah, the designs were the same or to be accurate they were improved here and there I think, cause it was newer.
GT had the same vibe as Dragon Ball and Z.

What ultimately killed GT was the horrible story line to it, I mean I think that's what makes it worse to me than Super. While Super may look different at least I can get through it's stories unlike GT's. While the animation looks improved the story really doesn't work for me to GT.
Actually there was some character design changes in GT I didn't remember liking was Trunks or Vegeta, just I mean look at Vegeta's hair.

But yeah first major half of GT I can legit not watch or get through as it's really awful. All that planet hopping.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4