• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Platinum End GN 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
After reading Bakuman, it's hard to read Ohba/Obata collaborations without seeing the narrative tricks outlined in the earlier series at work.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I just read through volume 3.

...If they're gonna try to make this an anime, it'd be one hell of a risk to cover what's in there.
TdFern 87

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:28 pm Reply with quote
A lot of people who read Bakuman and Death Note manga, try reading Platinum End but later dismissed this series as another Future Diary, all battle royal and all that. Is it like Future Diary?
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
TdFern 87 wrote:
A lot of people who read Bakuman and Death Note manga, try reading Platinum End but later dismissed this series as another Future Diary, all battle royal and all that. Is it like Future Diary?

It's like it, but worse. At least FD is good for a hate-watch given how serious it wants to take itself while being so bonkers. Platinum End however is so serious and boring, that if you haven't read it, you'll give up in the first volume.

The point where I heard some people stop reading it was with the Metropoliman confrontation, which was an exaggerated mess beyond belief.
Nodz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyFC07 wrote:
TdFern 87 wrote:

It's like it, but worse. At least FD is good for a hate-watch given how serious it wants to take itself while being so bonkers. Platinum End however is so serious and boring, that if you haven't read it, you'll give up in the first volume.

The point where I heard some people stop reading it was with the Metropoliman confrontation, which was an exaggerated mess beyond belief.

Not necessarily. I read until volume 5 and I really like it.
It's not perfect but it's really less messy than Mirai Nikki!
The lowest point being, in my opinion, the low rythm.
But otherwise, it's not "all battle royal" as Mirai Nikki, it's more a battle of good versus evil.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1