• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chihayafuru BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
I was going to say how wrong it would feel for someone other than Bamboo to review this release, but here she is to make it a moot point. It's a nice surprise to read your work again.

Oh, and, uh, the show is awesome too.
moogrin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
I was happy when I heard the English dub would keep the Japanese poem readers, but this review stating that they're spliced in from the Japanese track is incorrect. If you compare the two you can tell the poem readings on the English track are a new recording, and they're not very good compared to the readers in the original track either. It stuck out to me in one of Chihaya's matches early on so I switched to the other track and it's definitely different.

Personally I'm not that satisfied with the subs or dubs, though at least it's better than the terrible manga translation job.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
This review is quite something. Not only is it very lengthy, the love for this series comes through very clearly. I can tell that Bamboo has been waiting a long time for the opportunity to write this review, and I'm glad it's finally here.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Huh! I wonder if this is context dependent. I'm sorry I missed it. I switched between the two language tracks intermittently and didn't notice it when Taichi was reading, or during one of the matches. This is good to know- thanks for catching it. I wonder if they only switched some of the card readings...?

moogrin wrote:
I was happy when I heard the English dub would keep the Japanese poem readers, but this review stating that they're spliced in from the Japanese track is incorrect. If you compare the two you can tell the poem readings on the English track are a new recording, and they're not very good compared to the readers in the original track either. It stuck out to me in one of Chihaya's matches early on so I switched to the other track and it's definitely different.

Personally I'm not that satisfied with the subs or dubs, though at least it's better than the terrible manga translation job.
corinthian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Huh! I wonder if this is context dependent. I'm sorry I missed it. I switched between the two language tracks intermittently and didn't notice it when Taichi was reading, or during one of the matches. This is good to know- thanks for catching it. I wonder if they only switched some of the card readings...?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they kept the Japanese for readings done from a CD, the official matches, and karuta society games, and used English VAs when it's the main characters doing the readings in practice matches.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I was extremely happy to see Bamboo's name on the site again today! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Killerqueen2000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
This looks beautiful. the Cards inside too. I want to buy this . Looks like high quality
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
I was pretty late to the Chihayafuru train but I'm so glad I got on. Although I thought the beginning stretch was unremarkable and it took me a while to connect with the characters, once the show hits its stride it's like there's never a dull moment; every moment and interaction seems to add to the characters and get them to inhabit a richer story. I can definitely validate that final claim in that this is one of the few anime that could get me to outright sob or laugh (or both) depending on what was going on.

This set looks gorgeous, too. I'm actually super grateful for this review: I had no idea Sentai had licensed this.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Obsolete / redundant comment removed

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
Sentai Filmworks has included Chihayafuru Season 2 in its recent announcements for March 2018 - and revealed the contents of their Premium Box Set for the USA market in the process: Store link (subject to regional restrictions).

A date in March, close to the theatrical release of "Chihayafuru Musubi" in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1