• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: She and Her Cat GN

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:20 am Reply with quote
Hmmm,,,too slow huh. I have a habit of reading books before sleep, this is not gonna make me fall asleep instead, isn't it.

Just kidding, I do consider myself a patient person, as long as the heartwarming story isn't TOO fluffy, I am on board
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Since my gf and I have 7 cats I suppose this is a mandatory purchase for us right?
WingKing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Question for Rebecca, if you know: I've watched both the original short and the 4-episode TV series, which had some story differences with each other. Is the manga's storyline closer to one of those or the other, or is it mostly another new version again?
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
This manga is rather disappointing. I'm seriously depressed and would have killed myself if not for my dog, the plan is still to do so once my dog dies. I picked this up thinking it could be somewhat relatable and I must say, this manga was written by someone who obviously doesn't understand what it's like to have no one but your animal companion. everything about it felt contrived.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Since my gf and I have 7 cats I suppose this is a mandatory purchase for us right?

This and Plum Crazy, and don't think my 5 cats (and 102 lb dog) and I won't be checking to see if you've done your reading!

WingKing, I'm not entirely sure, not having seen all of them, but my understanding is that this is basically its own retelling.

Sir Daniel, in all honesty, I'm not sure that was really the story's intention, because she did have her mom and that one friend, so it was never truly about her being entirely alone. But I can see where it would be disappointing in its portrayal, because animals really can be our lifeline. I'm glad you have your dog.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
The short series on Crunchyroll hit a little too close to home and it was amazing. Does the manga follow the series, the movie or is it its own thing?

Sir Daniel Fortesque wrote:
This manga is rather disappointing. I'm seriously depressed and would have killed myself if not for my dog, the plan is still to do so once my dog dies. I picked this up thinking it could be somewhat relatable and I must say, this manga was written by someone who obviously doesn't understand what it's like to have no one but your animal companion. everything about it felt contrived.

I am happy to hear your dog brings you the comfort and strength to keep going. I hope he lives for a long time, but please seek help. The plan you have is not the answer if anything were to ever happen to your animal companion.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

This and Plum Crazy, and don't think my 5 cats (and 102 lb dog) and I won't be checking to see if you've done your reading!

I'll see your 5 cats and large dog and raise you 6 more outdoor cats we feed. =p At one point we had 6 indoor cats and my dog that visited often. She was older at the time and my parents half retired (dad second time) so she stayed with them as they could be around more. Only 10 min away and she came over like every weekend. She was only 75-80lb so you got me there lol. Though we do want a Leonberger. If we get one of those we'll have our cats ride him/her to your place and salute you heh. I'll check out Plum Crazy at RightStuf and see what it's about.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
^Five is actually a pretty low number for us. Laughing We lost three eighteen year olds, a seventeen year old, and a fourteen year old in the last year, so it's been rough.

Good for you guys for feeding all of those outdoor kitties! We've got three excellent shelters that keep our feral population under control (TNR, baby), but if there's a stray who wants to come in, they inevitably show up on my doorstep. (Even a lost ferret once, which was weird.)

I hope you get your Leonberger! My guy is an English lab; just a particularly tall one. He's actually at his right weight - when we found the poor baby at the shelter, he was 50 pounds overweight. Shocked
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
^Five is actually a pretty low number for us. Laughing We lost three eighteen year olds, a seventeen year old, and a fourteen year old in the last year, so it's been rough.

Good for you guys for feeding all of those outdoor kitties! We've got three excellent shelters that keep our feral population under control (TNR, baby), but if there's a stray who wants to come in, they inevitably show up on my doorstep. (Even a lost ferret once, which was weird.)

I hope you get your Leonberger! My guy is an English lab; just a particularly tall one. He's actually at his right weight - when we found the poor baby at the shelter, he was 50 pounds overweight. Shocked

My old girl, RIP, was a black lab & chesapeake mix. Got her as a pup from a coworker of my dad. Their female got knocked up so they were giving away the pups. Only pet I've had that was not a rescue in some fashion. At one point we had our 6 and 2 foster cats that due to age and health stayed for 6 months. One went to my gf's coworker and the other stayed with us til he passed after the 6 months.

We don't know where the bloody outdoor cats came from. Had a colony show up a few years ago, and then over time they left. We were down to just one but the damn fat black bastard male that roams around hadn't left. So the cycle started again. The 1 female became 3 and this spring.summer it's now 6. That's after I caught 4 litters this year and the rest of one l;ast year. Need to get a T&R group here again to fix them lol. They follow us around outside and hang around our back patio a lot. Or under the foundation during winter. We shouldn't feed them cause now they won't leave, but we're soft touches.

We've also fostered a dog that randomly showed up a few years ago (got her a home), found homes for some kittens, had a few baby birds fall down our chimney we helped, and via my work (Vet tech) I raised a baby squirrel once. It's like there's a damn beacon the size of the eye of Sauron above our house or something leading them here.

And as I type this one of the outdoor cats is meowing outside the front window now.
catandmouse

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I have 7 cats, I think I want to read this one.
I have Junji Ito's Cat Diary. It's a pretty funny story of his interactions with the cats and he wasn't even a cat person.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1