• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gravity Rush 2 Game's Online Service Ends in January in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
That is a shame. I enjoyed the first game but I have yet to play the sequel. Hope to see some details behind the online shutdown.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I never got much use out of the online component to the game. Shortly after I got the game, the online portion was down for maintenance, and I finished the game before it was back.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I love this game. Easily one of my favorites to come out this year next to Berseria, Nier: Automata, and P5. It basically improved on nearly every aspect from the first.

Quote:
I never got much use out of the online component to the game. Shortly after I got the game, the online portion was down for maintenance, and I finished the game before it was back.

Same. I don't think I ever used the online features aside from the one or two times it was explained how in game. I just played the main story.
Bonham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame. Gravity Rush 2 is up there with Zelda for my favorite game of the year so far, and while it was a small, small component and wasn't necessary for completing the game at all, the online added a nice bit of flavor with the treasure hunts, seeing other players' ghosts and photos, competing against records in the challenge missions, etc. Considering it's merely okay sales for a AA niche sequel, it's sucks that Sony won't keep online up, but hopefully more people pick it up before and after the online portions are taken down.

I imagine they'll patch in a randomized element for the Delvool trench mine.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
So will players be permanently locked out of Dusty Tokens and their rewards when this happens? That's a shame if so.

I really wish these games had gotten more attention. They're very unique in today's gaming world. The second gave me a bit more frustration than the first, but I still hold the series up as one of my all-time favorites.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
I did not start the online events until I found a natural treasure after completing the game.
After following the prompts and taking a photo and uploading, I finally got some Dusty tokens!
I then started doing all the hunts I was sent, challenges, and photos.

I really liked the treasure hunts, finding the exact location based off a photo hint was surprisingly enjoyable, and then trying to take a hint photo of the same treasure that would be even better for someone to pinpoint it (you got even more Dusty tokens if someone found the treasure from your hint)

I thought I would never get to 6000 for all the awards.
I think it was in April, they greatly increased the amount of Dusty tokens, and the number of online events I was sent increased dramatically, usually 10 or so a day, sometimes more.
I ended up around 176 on the total Token leaderboard (I think around 60k Dusty tokens), then the number of hunts started drying up as people moved on, and I stopped checking and playing back in July.

Fun stuff, but if very few people are still playing, the online events do not work anyway.
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I really made use of the online features, even though they were kind of neat (especially the treasure hunts). But if they're increasing the amount of Dusty Tokens and giving this much of an advance notice, I guess I found another "grind while listening to podcasts" game.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
Considering it's merely okay sales for a AA niche sequel, it's sucks that Sony won't keep online up, but hopefully more people pick it up before and after the online portions are taken down.

If the online servers are being shutdown this quickly, that indicates it did far worse "merely okay"
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Might've gotten a purchase from me, but I wanted to pick up the first game first. The remaster came out, but it didn't have a physical release in Canada, and the US physical versions were exclusive to Amazon only and they would not ship the product here.

I'm hoping for a wider physical re-release with 1 & 2 as a collection as a greatest-hits version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1