• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
After Inuyashiki, I think I have my schedule for the season set:

Ancient Magus' Bride
BBB&B
Gintama
Osomatsu-san 2
Kino's Journey
Garo Vanishing Line
Inuyashiki
March 2
Juni Taisen
Food Wars 3
Yuki Yuna
Just Because!
Girl's Last Tour
Umaru R
IM@S SideM
MMO Junkie
LLSS 2
Land of the Lustrous
Konohana Kitan
Blend-S
Hozuki 2
Anime-Gataris
A Sister's All You Need
UQ Holder
URAHARA
Black Clover
Two Car
WUG 2
Shobitch
King's Game

Shorts:
Love is Like a Cocktail
Cinderella Girls Theatre 2

Dies Irae in two episode consideration

And Ballroom, Guru Guru, Altair and Youkai Apartment as carryovers, and Boruto, Conan, DBS, and One Piece from long running.

[I hope nobody minds this off-handed comment I’m going to make now in this thread]

Damn, sir. That is certainly quite the schedule you got there. Man, and I though just watching 8, almost 9 anime in a season was a lot, but you got me beat there. Quite a wide range of taste as well. I personally think my taste in anime would allow me to try out most of these as well, but I simply have trouble finding the time to watch them all. In a season, no less. I wish you good luck in enjoying as many as you can.
Gan_HOPE326

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 am Reply with quote
IMHO the thing with Ancient Magus' Bride that seems the weirdest to most of us is the strange contrast between form and content, as well as how it's generally viewed. I personally am not the type to worry too much about a show's 'morals' - if I don't like it I don't watch it but that's it, I don't worry too much about it spreading Bad Ideas - but a lot of people, including reviewers on this website, often are, and for example it is rather weird for me to see Nick Creamer praise this manga (or Guardian Enzo on his blog), when such a skeevy premise would probably warrant a much different reaction from them in a slightly different, less "artistic", context. Now of course there's the possibility that the manga provides a counterpoint to these worries. Not because a story has a disquieting premise it means that it has to be promoting that. But AMB doesn't really look like it has many problems with its premise. The OVAs too portrayed Chise and Elias' relationship as good. There's a difference between "here's a creepy story, we know it's creepy but it's the story we want to tell" and "here's a story. Creepy? Why would you think that?".

Anyway, of all recent anime, for these issues this reminds me most of The World Is Still Beautiful, in that it's got a questionable premise that gets romanticised but also sort of gets a pass by virtue of being all poetic and stuff. Except in terms of animation and art this looks approximately 1000x better than that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:58 am Reply with quote
Well, after watching the second episodes of Konohana Kitan and Just Because! back to back, the former is already dropped. Smile I barely lasted through the episode, and it was enough to know I just don't have the patience or taste for it.

I really hope they pick up JB for the weeklies, because I have a feeling I'm going to need it to help me sort out all the characters and dramas.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

How do you know he's a jerk?

Wasn't that the same kid from the train and the classroom? If not, that's my bad - I thought it was the same guy who hassled him on the train. And fair point on the fireworks thing. Embarassed

On the subject of Ancient Magus' Bride, this is one of the few mainstream(ish) representations of this particular trope in romance fiction, the "captive bride" story. If you google scholar it, you'll see it's one that gets a fair amount of attention in studies of the romance genre, but perhaps more importantly, it's a really popular bodice ripper trope. This is definitely one of the most toned-down iterations of it, even in manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:56 am Reply with quote
^ Now that you point it out, I believe you're right. He felt so much like background noise until the park that I didn't notice him. Also, now that I've read the Spotlight material, spoiler[I guess he is a jerk.] Smile
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Niello wrote:
I'm not too impressed with how they are adapting Inuyashiki. The whole episode just screamed to me as, "let's cut out as much scenes as possible so we can squeeze robot action into the first episode!". I very much doubt that the team has as much confidence in the story as they should if they have to resort to that. The episode feels very disjointed compared to the first few chapters they've adapted, and by that I mean 7 chapters, including the massive chapter 1. That's a lot of cut contents and building up just to get to the action scene. Needless to say, compared to what it could have been, it's rather flat.

From the look of it they are probably trying to adapt the whole manga into a single season (if not then it's even worse, because that'd pretty much prove my point). I'm quite worried the story will suffer from that. While the later chapters which are more action oriented could easily be speed through, they seem to not mind cutting out and butchering the non-action parts. It will holds out because of the strong source material. However, if that's the direction it is heading in, as an adaptation it is quite disappointing. It is especially disappointing when illustrations in the manga during the action scene are able to convey movements better than its animated counter part.

If this first episode was "cutting a lot out" then, strictly from an anime-only viewer's perspective, I think the cuts were correct ones. The episode wouldn't have been near as compelling without covering everything that it did, and extending out the pre-alien part would have been overkill. You have to remember that manga timing and anime episode timing are rarely equivalent (although admittedly this season's AMB does seem to be an exception!).

Still, I'd be interested in a detailed account of what got cut out (with appropriate spoiler tags, of course).

By the end of the first chapter the alien landing already happened. A bunch of the parts that got cut out was after that. Hopefully some of the things will be salvage for later. The parts that were missing are both big and small. My main beef with what they cut out were brief enough that they should have been effortless to include if they didn't rush the episode so much. For example, spoiler[ when his wife mentioned that she was about to call the police because he didn't answer his phone call, or when Ichiro went back to the park and saw the cover up of the crash landing.] There are bigger scenes such as spoiler[ Ichiro walking home together with his son after a chance meeting]. The one thing I'm really glad the anime just ignore is the parts where he saw a bunch of wrong doings before he got changed to a cyborg. That was both repetitive and unnecessary enough that I'm glad they cut it.

What I really think is a missed opportunity is the brief thought Ichiro had on how spoiler[if he's no longer a human call Inuyashiki Ichiro, then the obligation to support his family should no longer fell upon him]. They are juicy bits that add up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
Blood- wrote:
@ Alexis.Anagram - I am not familiar with the Ancient Magus' Bride's source material, but given your display of aggrieved irritation - oops, I mean "boredom" - at what you've seen so far, I highly recomend you give your sensibility a break and drop the show. I really don't see the element you find so annoying - oops, I mean "boring" - going away as it's pretty much baked into the premise.

Soooo you have nothing to add to the conversation other than, "I actually don't know what I'm talking about," and, "Let me put words in your mouth."
You do know you're welcome to speak to your own feelings, there's no need to involve yourself in conjecture surrounding mine.

What is there to add to your attitude? Your objection and viewpoint are clear and won't be changed by anybody else's comments. Given that, there really was nothing left but to mock your pretensious and entirely transparent, "gosh, it's not that I hate this part of it, it just 'bores' me, you know?" Laughing
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
For "MMO Junkie", which Funi voice actress could you folks see playing our leading lady? I could see Monica Rial or Jamie Marchi because it seems like the type of character they would play.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:29 am Reply with quote
I used to watch just about everything. Especially as anime was just about all I watched. Eventually I think it happens to everyone... You get sick of large swaths of genre.

I just can't take grimdark anymore. Certain types of gag comedy has worn out its welcome, even when it's not bad I get bored (Magical Circle Guru-Guru is an example of a quality comedy I had to stop from disinterest)

I think I'm down to...

The Ancient Magus' Bride
BLEND-S
Girls' Last Tour
Himouto! Umaru-chan R
Just Because!
Kino's Journey -the Beautiful World-
Konohana Kitan
March comes in like a lion season 2
Recovery of an MMO Junkie
TWOCAR
Welcome to the Ballroom
(and as always: Detective Conan)

borderline:
My Girlfriend is Shobitch
A Sister's All You Need

possibly dropping (couldn't believe it got two cour):
Elegant Yokai Apartment Life
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Just Because! second episode confirmed my original impression that it's a really good SOL high school romance show. Characters are very naturalistic and I'm getting invested in their individual deals. Here's a relationship flowchart for Gina Szanboti:

Haruto (Baseball guy) likes Hazuki (Trumpet Girl) who doesn't realize he likes her. Natsumi (Redhead) likes Haruto who doesn't realize she likes him. Eita (Transfer Student/MC) apparently liked Natsumi back in the day, but seems to have conflicted feelings about her now - perhaps he's resentful she didn't keep in touch? He seems to know that Natsumi likes Haruto but is being discrete about it. So:

Eita ->? Natsumi -> Haruto -> Hazuki
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
GreatAntibob wrote:
Inuyashiki - Some posts on this now and several staff reviews of the first episode and no mention that it's basically a modernist, anime take on Kurosawa's "Ikiru" (with SF tropes like space aliens and transhumanism tossed in). Seriously, go watch the movie (a seriously good one - maybe Kurosawa's best, which is saying a lot) and then watch this episode again. The callouts are blatant, from the disrespect he gets from his kids, to the stomach cancer, to the scene he's singing on the playground swing set, and ultimately how he finds fulfillment and purpose in a heretofore unsatisfying, meaningless life.

Ikiru streams at filmstruck.com as part of The Criterion Collection for those interested in following this suggestion.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
Its been nice to see the serious discussion about themes in Ancient Magus Bride. It's good to know that anime doesn't have to be something where you just shut off your brain and watch. I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch that and my second round of titles yet, but probably will tonight.
Mhora

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been this excited for a new season in years, seriously years, I need to go back to 2013 with this many first episode watches. Maybe I'm a born-again anime fan! With Kino's Journey and Hoozuki no Reitetsu coming back, the girls in the post-apocalypse, Inuyashiki, Garo, Land of the Lustrious and even the cocktail short I'm already fully booked.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
the only recommendation I have is don't waste your time on Rainy Cocoa. all the first two seasons are is two hours of bad animation and lack of plot, wrapped up in a thin veil of bishonen (made worse by he fact that each episode is 3 minutes and they decided to use half the ep. length with celebrity panels in the second season). seriously, don't even bother.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:29 am Reply with quote
I just love how authors never care to learn even basic facts of reality before attempting to go scientific -- like in Land of the Lustrous anime:

Quote:
Mohs hardness scale rating of only 3.5, they're fragile enough that they shatter easily.

Hardness correlates to fragility, not opposes to it. This means that softer things are less fragile, not vise versa.

Too many people confise strongness and hardness. For example, sapphire is very hard, but also very brittle. And a blob of copper is very soft, you can scratch it easily, but it you will never smash it into pieces unless you will harden it by freezing it to deep negative temperatures.

Last edited by MaxSouth on Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 37