• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Flying Babies TV Anime Unveils Visual, January Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
While stylistic, also pretty poor looking.
I hope the style will be more polished for the final product, especially the awkward noodle torsoes.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Change the art back to it's original art, please. It looked infinitely better.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, the old designs were clearly better and detailed. The newer visual looks...Fresh but doesn't really cut it. It seems to get progressively worse.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:17 am Reply with quote
I like the new designs. I'm glad they changed them. The old designs looked horribly generic. The new ones remind me of the Grrl Power OAV.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the new designs are a huge improvement. They look like they'll lend themselves to fluid animation, which is going to be really important on a show about dancing.

And just as importantly, they look different and appealing, while the old designs look like the same generic moe characters we've been seeing for a decade now. With more and more anime coming out each season, shows need to be able to stand out somehow, so this is a smart move.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Posts removed. By all means criticise the anime, but don't make it personal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
re: the new designs are the only good ones, for basically the reasons wyvern said. this art has 100x more identity than anything else i've seen about this show so far, and i'm kinda in love. i'm not sure if the show will actually look like that though.

(gotta make sure not to use harsh personal language like 'dweeb' this time Anime cry so hard to be civil on the internet please understand mods)
Selipse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Dunno why my comment was deleted too, so I'll leave my two cents again.

Wyvern wrote:
Wow, the new designs are a huge improvement. They look like they'll lend themselves to fluid animation, which is going to be really important on a show about dancing.

I agree. This is pretty much what my previous comment said but in greater detail.

Big disagree to the "moe" meme, though.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So, what? Judging by the comments, pretty sure there's some people here that attacked me for liking moe and having a big disagreement on my opinion regarding the difference throughout each art style, which I fortunately have no chance of seeing since I was busy. Ever heard about the "to each his/her" perhaps? And if another poster feels that the artstyle doesn't resonate with them so it is their right to say whatever the heck they pleased? (without resorting to personal insults, that is.) It's a pretty simple mindset. I don't like how the arts looks now, and please just don't resorted toward running head strong to that moeshit meme because believe it or not, some people like those so called generic artstyle, plus it's harmless unlike some part of anime out there that people tend to bashed me for if I were to called it out in the open. Statement of preference is all there is. I do agreed the new visual looks unique but at the same time, just looks so unpolished, to state in a deeper perspective. I'm no art connoisseur so all I can comment about depends purely on what I'm seeing visually. Just gotta wait for a trailer or two.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
What are you talking about

Edit: When your argument is "generic things are good" I think you should not be surprised when people disagree with you pretty strongly
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Whenever you find an anime that doesn't look like anime, you can be sure people will immediately favor it for not looking like anime.

I'm reminded of an amusingly condescending review of an anime I recently watched, and somehow managed to enjoy, despite the reviewer's evident assumption that fans of generic moe would not: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=133027
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 pm Reply with quote
^Which is something I personally found strange, considering anime is basically just animation produced in Japan and can really consist of all kinds of art styles. I thought the old art style for this was appealing and I feel much of the same with this new one. I’ll wait to see more staff for this series to be announced before having anymore thoughts on it.

Arale Kurashiki wrote:
Edit: When your argument is "generic things are good" I think you should not be surprised when people disagree with you pretty strongly

I don’t think that was the other person’s argument and was instead talking about not insulting others by name-calling when one disagrees with them.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
I get the sentiment that it's nice to get a break from the current dominant look. There is quite a bit of variation even within modern moe CGDCT shows, but I guess there's no point getting into that; it'd be like discussing craft brews with me, since I don't particularly like beer.

Generally I'd expect a show to stand out with its writing, rather than by looking unusual - it would be just as easy for Hollywood to use bizarre makeup and costumes to make a film stand out, but no one complains about looking at generic ordinary live action people. More than experimental human character designs, I'd like to see more anime characters who are spiders... well at least now there's one CG show to look forward to.

That said, I'm down for a totally different CGDCT as long as it's still cute. Personally I feel kinda iffy about the left side of the image, but the right side looks promising. Though I feel instinctively worried for the health of the girl at far right. Is making the eyes EVEN BIGGER a good way to move anime forward? She does look cute, like Sailor Moon or Itaru Hinoue characters do if you don't think about it too much.

My initial reaction was that this is a high-stakes gamble; either the extra attention draws in viewers and revenue, or you turn people away because, as everyone laments, general audiences tend to want more of the same, the stuff they're used to. Or maybe both factors cancel one another out.

"the old designs look like the same generic moe characters we've been seeing for a decade now"

I don't get this timeframe. I'm a big fan of Kenichi Sonoda's 80's anime girl designs, and they look moe to me just like the modern look. I always figured my first moe girl was Sasami from Tenchi Muyo. Flying Babies is a departure from all of that, whether for better or for worse.

Oh man, somebody hire Sonoda to design a CGDCT slice of life show, I'd be all over that Laughing
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I like the new style! They also used it for You Can Enjoy! as well and it looked pretty good there. I guess it would probably help make the dancing stand out more and be pretty fluid.

You Can Enjoy!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDPnm0Yyus&t=
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
That's not even the same kind of design, they don't look like anorexic noodles in your vid.
And "being different" doesn't mean it's good. Sure, it can be nice if they break from the "dominant looks", but ugly designs are ugly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1