• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Made in Abyss Made Us Cry Like Little Babies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I haven't been this sad since Nina in FMA
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Play To Zanarkand to the Mitty death

Cry harder.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
To be fair there's no malice in what BoneDaddy is doing either.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Everything about the Mitty scene was perfect. The animation was gorgeous and thoughtful, the music swelled at exactly the right time, and Nanachi's interruptions before and after Reg did the deed were a one-two knockout punch straight to my tear ducts. I've teared up during especially well done, emotional scenes in TV, movies, and games, but this was the first time I actually had to fight back the urge to all-out cry.

This anime was a miracle and you couldn't ask for a better adaptation. Everyone involved was in absolute peak form, and it gave us one of the most beautifully drawn and composed anime ever. I would even go so far as to say this is what a Studio Ghibli level of talent could do with a long-running TV anime instead of just movies. What a ride. I'm positive that a second season is being frantically discussed over there in Japan.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I swear that I haven't felt that sad in an anime in a while. Made in Abyss is, like this piece says, is an absolute miracle and I'm so glad that I got to watch as it aired. I truly hope that more of this series gets made, though I can understand that it will take some time. I'm now planning on showing my support for it by buying the manga that was licensed recently and buying the home video release when it comes out. Just an all out fantastic job by the staff and the author for this work.
ebv2406

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This show is so great I could give a spoiler[right robot arm] for a second season
lebrel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually wasn't really happy with the introduction of the whole Bondrewd plot angle. The first part of the series was so strong just as "kids versus the Abyss" that I didn't feel it needed a human antagonist.

But yeah, feels. Crying or Very sad
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say, while I was technically impressed with Made in Abyss, it just wasn't really doing much for me on a personal level in the early going. I even briefly dropped it after the 4th or 5th episode. When all of the hullabaloo surrounding episode 10 came out, I decided to catch up and I am so glad I did. The last few episodes were nothing short of fantastic and you can bet your ass I cried my heart out during the finale too. I'm still in awe at how Mitty came across as simultaneously horrifying and adorable (May she finally rest in peace).

I'd like to give a shout out to the soundtrack as well. That kind of thing doesn't usually stick out to me, but Penkin's work was another phenomenal aspect to this series. I'll be keeping an eye out for that name in the future now.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
I actually wasn't really happy with the introduction of the whole Bondrewd plot angle. The first part of the series was so strong just as "kids versus the Abyss" that I didn't feel it needed a human antagonist.

But yeah, feels. Crying or Very sad

Well, in a way, it's still the kids versus the Abyss. Obviously the Abyss changed Bondrewd, and this change into something more monstrous was first seen in Ozen too. Clearly the white whistles have seen parts of the Abyss and been in the Abyss so long that they're not entirely human anymore. The Abyss is the real danger, even when it takes the form of something more human. Just think of him as another beast of the Abyss.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I've literally exhausted myself mentally, emotionally, and physically thinking and writing about this show already, so all I can do at this point is express how f*cking perfect it is to me.
Comparing it to From the New World is apt. As you might guess from my avatar, that is also a show that had a significant impact on me, and if I look back, that might indeed be the last time I felt so intangibly connected to a piece of fiction. If we don't get a second season, I will be incredibly disappointed. As it is, it's brilliant, but a conclusive second season will put it among the greatest anime I've ever seen. And certainly earn it a spot on my Top 10 list.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:57 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I've literally exhausted myself mentally, emotionally, and physically thinking and writing about this show already, so all I can do at this point is express how f*cking perfect it is to me.
Comparing it to From the New World is apt. As you might guess from my avatar, that is also a show that had a significant impact on me, and if I look back, that might indeed be the last time I felt so intangibly connected to a piece of fiction. If we don't get a second season, I will be incredibly disappointed. As it is, it's brilliant, but a conclusive second season will put it among the greatest anime I've ever seen. And certainly earn it a spot on my Top 10 list.

Yea, this was essentially picking up where From the New World left off for me. The mixture of darkness and hopefulness was eerily similar, and the otherworldliness of the concept with the disturbing ideas about loss of humanity was also there. Similarly, the music in both shows was epic, and the ending scene of From the New World pulled the same heartstrings. They feel like cousin productions really. Made in Abyss is already at the same level for me though. Those two sit alone atop my current best of the decade list. Hunter X Hunter 2011 might be in there too if you count remakes. Possibly Attack on Titan too, though I tend to waver a bit on whether that is really just a very great show or at the masterpiece level.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Turning an entire village of orphans into a writhing slurry of fleshy monstrosities certainly does elicit some strong feelings from an audience. Anime is no stranger to bad dad and dad-adjacent figures, but Bondrewd is a cut above the rest.

Actually, (manga)spoiler[not everyone, perhaps not even the majority. It's debatable whether the slimes got the short end of the stick or not...]

Quote:
Mitty's death is upsetting, but Riko sees in her soul the spirit of the White Whistle Mitty wanted to be, and that in turn gives Riko the strength to continue her own journey.

Uh, (manga)spoiler[you might want to read the manga up to the point where they explain the white whistles,] aand you might see that sentence in an entirely new light...

Last edited by Blanchimont on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:37 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

The only thing holding Made in Abyss back for me (I still love it though and give it a 9/10 whereas From the New World is a 10/10) is I'm not entirely convinced its writing for the actual story will be as memorable and profound as the rest of the show. Of course this will depend on the manga and how it develops but what made the adaptation so magical was everything but the story. I mean the art, music, setting, animation, voice acting, atmosphere, and directing were all top notch; which in my mind is what elevated the series beyond its story which is honestly is pretty basic and not that compelling. Compare that to From the New World which was the opposite, pretty mediocre art and animation but a story that was downright masterful work.

So we'll see. I reaaaaally hope it gets a season 2 as it desperately needs it. The first season, while almost perfect in execution, could not really crack into my favorites as it is very much unfinished and when looked at as a whole, was a helluva ride that ultimately didn't go very far in terms of actual narrative.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Feli Kun wrote:
Never understood how this crappy anime got this following its prettt garbage Razz

Cute girls suffering can change anyone's opinion apparently Rolling Eyes

I guess that's why the show was consistently praised from the very start, dominating the reviews and rankings, even before the infamous episode 10 and before any real suffering had occurred.

Oh, wait, that makes no sense.

Side note, not directed at Crunky here: if you're gonna include even vague manga spoilers, can you specifically mark them as such? Sometimes people will use spoiler tags for anime only stuff so it's not always apparent what's gonna be inside it. I'm already familiar enough with the manga so it's not an issue for me, but not every reader is.

So, warning to anime only viewers here, at least right now, don't read ebv2406 or Blanchimont's spoiler tags.

EDIT: Blanchimont added a manga warning before the tags, thanks! Smile

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
There were so many great elements of the show, and I pretty much enjoyed every minute of it. Ozen's character and design was probably the biggest highlight, and it left a big impression on me. Her character design was inspiringly good, especially when she dons her full set of armor. I really hope she pops up again later in the story, this time with an opponent that will be tough enough to properly showcase her power. The foundational feeling I'm left with now that it's over though is pretty much the feeling that hooked me in the beginning: a desire to see what's at the bottom of the abyss and to find out what happened to Lyza. Now mixed with some added blood-thirst for Bondrewd. So I hope it gets a second season, and that the mangaka concludes the story well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3