• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Circle Guru-Guru (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote

Magical Circle Guru-Guru (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Magic, Fantasy, Shounen
Themes:

Plot Summary: Mahōjin Guru Guru is a light-hearted show aimed at older children, although it contains occasional toilet gags and some innuendo that might startle western parents.

Mahōjin Guru Guru is a parody of early Role Playing Games, particularly turn based games such as the Final Fantasy games. The narrator speaks in place of the dialog in such games and this is one of the comedy elements of the show. Often RPG-style information boxes are displayed on screen along with accompanying narration in the traditional RPG style. The overall goal of the main characters, Nike and Kukuri, is to defeat Giri, the ruler of the darkness. Since the anime is based on a RPG, several side quests need to be completed before they are able to locate him.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

I haven't seen the original Mahoujin Guru Guru before but this was fun.

The RPG style art and the storytelling looks really entertaining. The visual quality looks like older animation but I think works fine for this show. Nike is a fun character introduced so far imo. Somewhat hotblooded but entertaining to watch.

I find the comedy to be amusing in this first episode as well. Definitely a keeper for now. Kukuri is also so adorable and I like both the main leads already.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Seems that it does benefit that by so many jokes, that some of them are going to be a hit to you. My favourite of the first episode was when they were given 800 rin for equipment, where Kukuri then equipped the coins by putting them on her face.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

It really kind of feels like it is hitting a stride with some of its jokes, that many of them hit in spite of there also being quite child focused jokes too, like all the fart jokes. The dog reveal probably got me more than it should have, it was pretty funny when I think it was that Kukuri was saying that it was the last straw. And that the letter had bad handwriting because of course it was written by a dog. And I think also in how they have an instant response to hit something that is pretty creepy, like when she hit that weird teddy bear thing. Or in how Kukuri was so against having her hair cut, she did look a little cute afterwards, but I also was thinking she looked like Gohan. I quite like Kukuri's character. Or how Nike was being scammed, because apparently all it takes is boobs. Which reminds me how I found it really funny in the earlier episode he could not remember her face.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

It is not fair to have the one scene where Nike gathers his courage in fighting the axe wielding opponent who keep throwing the axe by himself throwing it off the mountain, and then have Kukuri ask for her clothes back and the fairies to bring the old man's. That had me laughing so much I started coughing.

Or in general how the old man was used in this episode of the fairy village, where the fairies all clearly hate him. And other examples I think that I like of Kukuri being unreasonable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I can't believe it took them this long to make fun of the fact that heroes in RPGs are thieves with the weird habit of looking through everyone's things. Which worked great with how we found out earlier that Nike's class is apparently thief.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Oh, a new OP and ED, that is a pleasing bit of news in the show's continuation, with a bunch of new characters hinted. I haven't really said it enough, since it is not the sort of show I think warrants a lot of posting, but Magical Circle Guru-Guru has stayed pretty consistant in getting me to laugh in the episodes. I greatly enjoy the humour on display. Special mention this week in Kukuri trying to create a new magic by inspiration of a cute cat, only to have the cat poop and thus create a cat monstrosity (it makes a terrible smell), which automatically got added to her book as a sort of record of her legacy which Kukuri was determined to remove. Or when the townspeople needed a drum, old man North put forward that maybe they use his stomach, where the people showed no hesitation to start punching him with no restraint. Along with general additions of things like ultimate light magic move: Cool Pose.

And I maybe want to back up to some of the recent episodes, which had things like demon Kukuri, which was kind of adorable in being mischievous, along with other sorts of Kukuri, like the play with musical bit. Or Nike being no slouch either, myself liking the cat monster costumes they both had, and the curse they suffered for a bit to the detriment of poor Toma. All these change in arcs themselves always manage to do something fun with our duo.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

This episode had kind of a different, more thoughtful. Repeated time plots are not really anything new, but this was pretty cute. I think especially cute on how shows like this can thrive on things not changing, and the show made a point about change being important. Kind of reminds me of some of my favourite parts of this show is seeing what new outfits our duo gets in the arcs, a particular one being the monster village outfit, but the plant clothes had some moments.

Probably not actually relevant, like different cases or I am not thinking through properly. But the demon in this episode seemed to be stuck by the magic barrier, which is explained as being part of Kukuri, but it kind of sounded like they helped the demon escape from something from before the island, which regardless was probably Guru Guru magic. But it kind of makes me think of how they said that Giri, the main villain, had been locked away by Guru Guru magic, like it was something they mentioned that the woman of the tower meant to do. So in this episode did they accidentally actually release Giri or some other threat? Gimple did come in at the end about something bad has happened?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Who would have thought it, in addition to the retro sort of references or jokes the show normally does, these new old folks had references like from Sword Art Online and a Death Note reference. And again, the heroes always seem to attract weird old guys, but these supposedly cool or sexy guys were funny. And then Nike had his own impression of their relationship. Laughing

Somewhat happy not to see Nike's ultimate hair move.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

I wonder if it is bad that when they were teasing what Giri would look like, that spoiler[my thoughts indeed went straight to it being Old man North], although that was apparently what the spoiler[deal was of with Kukuri]. There actually was a kind of cool battle reveal, that the spoiler[Kukuri in the battle was a copy created by the spell that supposedly failed].

Also, thank god at the ending, because otherwise that was going to be a total piece of hogwash. Gipple would be sick to his stomach.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

And it has ended. That was a lot of fun. I think fun is the biggest part of this show, along with its sweet moments, and then parts it would purposely do the opposite (Nike was spoiler[most concerned over needing to poop] during the final battle). Nike and Kukuri are incredibly fun characters, that I liked their bratty childish nature at the start, the growth they had in the end, and everything in the middle, with their many fun adventures. Especially all the weird things, those things are irreplaceable. Got a certain enjoyment from the joke that got pointed out at the fact they kind of collect a bunch of weird old men. Pervy jokes even get a laugh, like that bit where Kukuri saw what Nike was up to while she was in her training arc.

The last episode also had a return of everyone from earlier on. I know that this version is a much or accelerated version of older one, and maybe at times it felt like it went through stories pretty quickly, but the show always kept a fun and new atmosphere, never let itself get stale. I was worried about this retro looking style at the start too, but I don't think it ever actually made itself cumbersome, and am particular fond of moments it would intergrade things like 8bit graphics to play around the game aspect the show is especially having fun with. And certainly the show always seems aware of things that could be a problem, like Toma might be a bit bland and the show calls his character out on it. No hiding that it made fun of various things, but I think it also wanted to express a love of them too.

Anyway, I give this a rating of Very good (8/10), I really enjoyed my time with it. And one of the series I would actually like to get some merch. Maybe like something of cat Kukuri, that was my favourite (especially with her and sometimes Nike in animal mode).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1