• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Apocrypha (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote

Fate/Apocrypha (TV)

Genres: Action, Historical, Supernatural, Drama, Magic, Fantasy

Plot Summary: There was once a Holy Grail War waged by seven Mages and Heroic Spirits in a town called Fuyuki. However, a certain Mage took advantage of the chaos of World War II to steal a Holy Grail. Several decades have passed, and the Yggdmillennia family, who took upon the Holy Grail as its symbol, defected from the Mages' Association and declared their independence. Furious, the Association sent a force to deal with the Yggdmillennia, but they were defeated by the summoned Servants. With the Holy Grail War system changed, war with seven versus seven, breaks out. And so, the curtain rises on the epoch-making Great Holy Grail War.
----------------------------------

New Fate series adapting the light novel coming this Summer. I'm excited as it's been awhile since we've seen Fate again on TV.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:08 am Reply with quote
The show is airing tomorrow, we might be getting a final preview today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote

Premise has been given a bit of an overhaul, now that it's a team battle of 7 on 7 (14 on 14 if one counts the masters as combat capable).

The first battle scene is flashy as expected from works from this group. The golem master featured later in the episode obviously finished his grand masterpiece and it's in the middle of a huge battle with the red team lancer when the scene changes.

Having not read anything beforehand on this, all I can see so far are confirmed identities of three of the servants. Vlad Tepes serves the black team, Mordred is the red saber while Jean D'Arc is a servant for one of the teams.

As for the masters, little revealed about them so far. The priest master has an interesting name but it remains to be seen if he's the person I think he is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
A quick question, does anyone think watching the previous series of Fate would be needed? Getting into this franchise is something I really have been meaning to do, I actually do own Stay Night and Zero, and previously stalled half way through Stay Night like a year ago. Just wondering if I should force myself to finish what I have already, or maybe watch this which could push me to finally watch the rest.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
For the plot in this series, likely not, but for the nuances in regards to summoning and magic, any of the core Fate/Night adaptations would be sufficient.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
First episode gives a brief overview of how the Grail system USED to work and then it gives another exposition on how the system NOW works under the Black team leader. Those familiar with it understand what the changes could mean for the upcoming battles, but those new to the franchise can either take it in/take notes/fast forward to something more interesting depending on how keen they are on world building.

Much of the fun is trying to figure out the true identity of the servants and what powers they've been granted after their summoning. No one really needs prior franchise knowledge for that.
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
A quick question, does anyone think watching the previous series of Fate would be needed? Getting into this franchise is something I really have been meaning to do, I actually do own Stay Night and Zero, and previously stalled half way through Stay Night like a year ago. Just wondering if I should force myself to finish what I have already, or maybe watch this which could push me to finally watch the rest.

I watched Zero without any prior knowledge to the franchise and had no problem following. Afterwards it was UBW and now Apocrypha. The first episode wasn't anything complicated if you were to want to jump right in. Plus if you get lost, I find that forums like this, crunchyroll, and MAL have a ton of people who are quick to fill in any blanks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:56 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
Much of the fun is trying to figure out the true identity of the servants and what powers they've been granted after their summoning. No one really needs prior franchise knowledge for that.

So, like how that one guy with the spikes is most likely Vlad the Impaler?
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:30 am Reply with quote
I checked out the first episode, which, as usual for a Fate/ series, was chock full of exposition (I was expecting that, so it wasn't that bad). Trying to see if I got it all straight:
spoiler[--the last time the Holy Grail war was waged in Apocryphia's world, one of the masters asked Nazis to crash the party ("Nazis make everything better, or at least more exciting!" Should have a TV Tropes page, if it doesn't already. They show up in so much fantastical fiction!).
--The Nazis tried to get their hands on the Holy Grail so they could win the war, but Master Darnic Yggdmillenia (what a name!) used the confusion to take the Grail for himself.
--Darnic hid the Grail for 60 years, during which he researched eternal youth for himself (linking his soul with a baby, yuck!), built up his rogue faction of Mages, and planned to assert his power by fighting the Clock Tower Mages in a revised version of the Holy Grail War--his black faction controls 7 Servants, Clock Tower's red faction controls another 7
--Let the games begin! ]

Does that cover everything?
DuskyPredator wrote:

Nah, there's enough exposition in the first episode to cover everything, and it takes place in an alternate timeline, so none of the "history" of Stay Night or Zero took place in this version, anyway.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Finally watched the first episode. Love the cameos from other Nasuverse works.
Since i read the Strange Fake manga, i suspected the blonde guy was Flat when i first saw him.
Sisigou is also smoking the same cigarettes that Touko Aozaki smoked.
And Waver Velvet is still the new Lord El-Melloi in this timeline just like in prime and Prisma Illya timelines.

From the 1st episode, the animation looks good so far with how Red Faction's bone demons fought against the Black Faction's homunculus and golems. And Mordred helmet is impressive like something from Iron Man.

Can't wait for the next episode.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 am Reply with quote
Simply on the first episode, for my personal viewing experience it was slightly underwhelming.

My issue especially has to due with the opening battle montage which for me stripped away from whatever nuance the character introduction was attempting.

The staff wanted to adapt in a feeling of "look at this cool stuff that we will soon show you!", but it felt like a promotion for some blatant tournament arc series in the worst sense of the word.

Hopefully this is just an off start and the rest of the series runs without any significant stumbling.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Way too much exposition for my taste, but at least we've got it out of the way for a while. I'm a big fan of the Fate franchise (and by that I mean its various anime adaptations since that's all I've seen so far) so I'm sure I'll dig this. I wish ufotable was doing it. A-1 Pictures is a perfectly fine studio, but ufotable really brings a beautiful visual flair to the Fate worlds.

Let the War begin!

DuskyPredator: if you're finding Fate/Stay Night to be a bit of a slog, I would recommend switching over to Fate/Zero. You might find it more compelling. For my money, I'm glad that F/SN was my first intro to the franchise. That adaptation certainly has its issues, but I have found it a useful touchstone for everything that has followed.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote

More exposition, but the animators have decided to speed things up a bit by revealing the true identities of all servants serving the black camp. The identities of some if not all of the red camp are also revealed in this episode (biggest surprise: whose idea was it to summon William Shakespeare as a Servant?! Does he intend to talk his opponent to death or make them die of laughter from his comedies? He's supposed to be Red's Caster but his counterpart is the legendary golem summoner of Hebrew legend so...)

The biggest subplot is the 15th servant Jeanne D'Arc and the role she and her master play in this team battle royale. Shirou Kotomine sees it fit to order a Servant in his own camp to eliminate her, which if unsuccessful is detrimental to the Red cause since Red Saber is playing a lone (if powerful) hand and they'll be a Servant down against what looks on paper to be a very strong Black camp.

The action scene for this week is adequate but nothing special. Viewers already know Red Saber is very competent (compared to her "father" she has better offence and swordsmanship but is less cautious and more complacent which might affect her ability to defend) but the necromancer has a couple of nasty tricks up his sleeve against other masters.

With the action set in Trifas, Romania it's going to be a change of scene from the Fuyuki the franchise fans have been familiar with from the original works. So far it looks good but more has to come before this series can show if it has the same appeal as the other works in the same stable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
I've seen the first two episodes.

Surprisingly, A-1 Pictures adapted the animation quality pretty well so far (I do expect it drop at some point though). In particular, the action scenes were fluid. From the first two episodes, we got introduction of the main characters and even a little bit of Jeanne's background story.

I agree what the others said about the exposition although it did feel necessary to get viewers into the story. I'm guessing there will be less and less of that as the episode progresses. Still a pretty good start overall imo.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:17 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I wish ufotable was doing it. A-1 Pictures is a perfectly fine studio, but ufotable really brings a beautiful visual flair to the Fate worlds.

Ufotable also tends to suck the life out of things, so they wouldn't be good for this. Kara no Kyoukai, Zero and Heaven's Feel are much more dour stories so there it was okay, but they turned UBW, a much more high octane route, into a total slog. While DEEN's movie was heavily abbreviated at least it kept the energy up. Just compare the flat low key line delivery in UBW TV to the impassioned, hot blooded delivery of those same lines in the movie.

{Edit}: Removed entirely unneeded misogynistic comment. ~ Psycho 101
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13