• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Recovery of an MMO Junkie (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:14 am Reply with quote

Recovery of an MMO Junkie (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes: NEET

Plot Summary: 30-year-old Moriko is single and recently became a NEET after quitting her corporate job. Tired of the real world, she decides to reinvent herself as a handsome male character on the internet.
----------------------------------

Episode 1

What do you know, that was actually pretty good. Having this set with a female lead who is around 30, making her firmly an adult, actually feels kind of fresh all things considering others examples we have seen. Moriko has things about her that simply feel human. What she has done does not seem exactly healthy, but neither has it been made some big joke, and without really saying anything you can kind of get a grasp of why she has gone into the escapism of the game.

There is a bit of reversed gender stuff here, where she has taken a male avatar, while the girl avatar in the game she has got a connection with has is a man. With how it is done it in some ways feels like what Netoge could or should have been, and that is without feeling a reliance of something like fanservice or harem antics. Because the little romance they have here is actually pretty cute. And there is something more about feeling we really are getting that this is Moriko in the driver seat than her becoming Hayashi, I like it.

The animation really does not seem to be anything special, but really it probably does not have to be. I did think some of it showed some cute charm.Total a little thing, but I am pretty sure that the big rat boss she kept losing to was totally a reference to Raticate, just a different face and yellow like the other famous Pokémon rodent.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
What the heck is a Christmas chicken?? Lol And she tries to set the mood for herself by putting a candle next to her single Christmas chicken leg!

This episode was pretty adorable. Don't know exactly what direction the series is going in, but it seems to me like one of those stories where it hits the fan at like ep 7 or 8, and the characters are left to pick up the pieces and better themselves for the remaining episodes. At least, that's what I hope it will be. But, it could just as easily be a subtly charming comedy, which would honestly be good too.

At first, the art kind of really bugged me, but as the episode went on, I thought it sort of added to its charm. So long it doesn't get much worse, it should be fine. The sound, however, I'm iffy about. There were certain scenes that were deafeningly quiet. Moments with zero sound even though characters were moving and gesturing. It's a small complaint, though.

Anyway, definitely checking out episode 2.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think this content would be better served in a shorter 8 -10 minute webisode format.

It is cute, but some scenes seem to drag on and not for any real benefit for narrative or intended emotional impact.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
Quote:
What the heck is a Christmas chicken??

Reportedly, Kentucky Fried Chicken is big on Christmas Eve in Japan.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Yeah, I really like Moriko's character, she is working up as a favourite of maybe the season. There is something pretty charming about this dynamic. Kind of let out a laugh at how he apparently actually knocked her out, where as much as it could be taken as a cliché, I liked it, and sweet about their unknown connection. And her anxiety about finding out she sent an email at 2 in the morning feels somewhat familiar for some reason. They are also doing some pretty interesting things with what is apparently being done via keyboard for the more natural conversing. Cry emote spam.

So far I am feeling pretty confident with this one. Even if I am finding myself feeling impatient that they get together or find out already, but it feels like a nice building up so far. Okay, if I knock a women out I will totally give her my number.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:08 am Reply with quote
There's way too many things I identify with in this. But even that aside, it's just charming my socks off.

C'mon, girl, he's seen you at your worst, with no make-up, ratty clothes, and a cold on top of that! Having dinner with him can't be any worse even if you come as you are. Very Happy But dat face in her imagination, lol.

Already I want to binge this. I don't mean wait until it's aired and watch it, but I want to watch it all now! Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
I think "charm" is a great way to describe this show. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be watching an anime where the MC is a woman in her 30s. The other thing I'm liking is that so far there are no antagonists. Everybody is pretty cool. I am curious as to how a supposedly "authentic" Japanese guy like Yuta has "natural" blonde hair, though.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Yay, the show is pretty fun and fluffy. It makes me wanna root for our heroine. Also cool that our heroine is voiced my Mamiko Noto. I've always liked her soft voice. The opening is friggin' awesome.

I agree with FenixFiesta that some scenes drag on, but that hasn't bothered me all that much yet.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm not much of a beer drinker, but after watching episode 3, I really want a beer.

Dude is totally stalking her. Very Happy This is my favorite series (in terms of most looking forward to it and devouring it immediately) this season. Every episode presses some personal button or another.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 3 was another good episode. I think that this might be my favourite show of the season.

I am going to maybe put forward the idea of what happened to her at her previous job. I think it seems likely she was being overworked, perhaps just from a could not say no situation, or that it was mentioned she filled in for some of her boss's work, that her boss was pushing their work onto her. Could it be the other lady in the photograph? The same one in the ED where Moriko looks like she walking past Yuta and then the other way when she is coming, which I thought was just her bring awkward. That part had me wondering if we might see Moriko work with him, and yet apparently she already was within the same company, I kind of hope we might see some progress, but I don't know how it might disrupt the setting of the show. It does seem that Moriko and Yuta unknowingly partners in a previous MMO, that they have a big red string of fate.

Kanbe also seems interesting. Are we going to see a little bit of a love triangle?
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
Loved the part about her previous employment.

Man she really punted on that date.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:24 am Reply with quote
Moriko spazzing out over Lily-san was so cute.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
Now the main guy's workplace buddy just happened to work at the same place as "MoriMori-chan." Has the manga-ka run out of absurd coincidences yet, or will it turn out that every game character is the avatar for someone in her neighborhood? Perhaps the convenience store clerk? Relying on unlikely coincidence to fuel a story is not my idea of good writing.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the green-haired convenience store clerk is the green-haired guild guy (not the light green haired one with the braid).

And I can understand that these all seem like wild coincidences to you, but having experienced equally unlikely coincidences back in my AOL text rpg days (people finding out they lived in the same city and knew each other irl, etc.), it's easy enough for me to buy. But such unexpected revelations tended to really screw things up in the game, since a lot of people had a hard enough time keeping ic and ooc separate without such extra complications. I hope it turns out better for Moriko and Yuta, et al. Smile
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I also think they are rather wild coincidences, but I don't mind. In fact I want MoriMori-chan and Yuuta to have more chance encounters in the real life.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4