• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Don't Streaming Sites Work Together?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reinux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
reinux wrote:
The fact that they only serve the US is more than an "inconvenience."

HIDIVE gets many of the Sentai ones outside the US, and Amazon's own are available on regular Prime Video outside the US, and some other companies have some Strike titles in different regions as well. There are definitely some that fall through the cracks and their service can be very bad in some regions, but the Anime Strike catalog is available outside the US.

I did not know that, lol.

Still, AS doesn't appear to be competing viably for market share, nor does Amazon appear to be trying to.

Acquisitions at this stage of the game aren't always about streamlining operations or products or anything mutually beneficial like that, after all. A lot of the time, it's simply to feed low-value resources to a high-value business.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:35 am Reply with quote
reinux wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
reinux wrote:

HIDIVE gets many of the Sentai ones outside the US, and Amazon's own are available on regular Prime Video outside the US, and some other companies have some Strike titles in different regions as well. There are definitely some that fall through the cracks and their service can be very bad in some regions, but the Anime Strike catalog is available outside the US.

Still, AS doesn't appear to be competing viably for market share, nor does Amazon appear to be trying to.

Acquisitions at this stage of the game aren't always about streamlining operations or products or anything mutually beneficial like that, after all. A lot of the time, it's simply to feed low-value resources to a high-value business.

The only people that really seem to believe that Amazon is attempting to strong arm market share from CR, are those that believe they are attempting to monopolize the anime market. This is despite the fact that there is every indication that they are not doing this, despite having the money, resources, and relationships to do so, if they wanted.

Amazon is basically following Apple’s footsteps. What they really want to do is to keep Prime subscribers within the Amazon ecosystem. The more value and services they are able to offer Prime members, the more likely those members are to stay, and the more “painful” it becomes to leave. This really isn’t as much about the anime market as a whole, but the subsection of the market that are already Prime subscribers. Even if Strike is not profitable itself, and we will never know that one way or the other, if it helps keep Prime members engaged, it will have served its purpose.

Considering Amazon is one of the largest retailers of anime releases on DVD and Bluray, and likely digital as well, I imagine they have a much better idea of how large the market is compared to the rest of us. I’m sure they also know exactly how much of their anime is bought by those who already have Prime memberships.
reinux

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The only people that really seem to believe that Amazon is attempting to strong arm market share from CR, are those that believe they are attempting to monopolize the anime market. This is despite the fact that there is every indication that they are not doing this, despite having the money, resources, and relationships to do so, if they wanted.

Again, I can't speak for everyone, but that's not what I'm concerned about, because, like I said, I don't see them even *trying* to compete for market share, only for share of licenses. That disparity is where the problem lies.

Quote:
Amazon is basically following Apple’s footsteps. What they really want to do is to keep Prime subscribers within the Amazon ecosystem. The more value and services they are able to offer Prime members, the more likely those members are to stay, and the more “painful” it becomes to leave. This really isn’t as much about the anime market as a whole, but the subsection of the market that are already Prime subscribers. Even if Strike is not profitable itself, and we will never know that one way or the other, if it helps keep Prime members engaged, it will have served its purpose.

That's what I've been saying this whole time. We don't disagree here.

The problem is that when you don't even have a direct profit motive, you're a risk to the rest of the industry, because you don't care about your product or its delivery, let alone about the market or the industry.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Vizo wrote:
I hope these streaming networks will provide cable on-demand services. I'd gladly pay for that.

Funimation used to have a cable on-demand outlet, but they got rid of that in lieu of going exclusively streaming. Sentai still has a cable on-demand outlet in the form of The Anime Network, but these days it pretty much has the scraps left over from HiDive and Anime Strike (mostly subs, but an occasional dub from the last decade or so).
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I also absolutely hate the fact that they're still the only site I know that's running a flash video player. It's 2017...what the hell man? I been using HTML5 on youtube since 2010...

I was surprised when I redeemed a digital code for a movie this weekend and chose Vudu to view it that they require Flash for their player.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
The ironic thing is that even without a monopoly in anime streaming, Crunchyroll has a virtual monopoly. This season for instance, CR has 35 new shows, Anime Strike 8 and HIDIVE 3. A customer who can only spend $60 a year on anime streaming will most likely go with CR. But you know what, I like that Crunchyroll controls 70-75% of the anime streaming market because they are the best at it. Monopolies are not good, but CR has not abused their power in my opinion.

{ha ha ha ha ha }

That last line completely killed me. You want examples in alphabetical order or in levels of pettiness? Masking Funimation their lackey should be enough of power abuse... of course that was after whiffing Free off to Diskotek. Thjen there was the "if you license it, we get it for free for four weeks" which has kind of become standard for the shows they get from Funimation... except Funimation can't run sub language tracks at all now. And people wonder why Sentai turned their back on them...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
If we could have a legal streaming site for every song, movie, TV show, etc. from every country today, that would be a miracle. However, even though we might not stop piracy. Yes, we would curb down a lot but not ultimately end all of it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
The Anime Network, but these days it pretty much has the scraps left over from HiDive and Anime Strike (mostly subs, but an occasional dub from the last decade or so).

Oh do they still put episodes up out of order or have moments when they don't cycle in succeeding episodes for weeks?

Ushio wrote:

You know what Mr Sevakis I'll go one step further by saying that having all anime on one streaming service is better competition for consumers than having multiple ones. I don't give a shit about the anime studios

If you don't care about anime studios why watch their products?

Ushio wrote:

A single streaming service is cheaper for me than having multiple so better for me. Having 3 stores in my town selling Pepsi doesn't cost me anything multiple streaming sites do.

Sure provided one of two or stores isn't selling the pepsi for a dollar or so more than the one store that doesn't and you willfully buy from those two stores anyway.

Ushio wrote:

A single streaming service forces the anime studios to release quality product every time so that consumers choose there anime to watch at a trusted level of quality over choosing other studios who may release cheap rubbish. To me is beneficial consumer competition not multiple streaming services.

If you had a single streaming service that featured all content that wouldn't really be a competition since they would have an unfair advantage the other services wouldn't have or be able to overcome.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I agree that competition is ideal for these kind of businesses for the reasons you lay out, but it just feels like in practice that this doesn't exactly encourage quality products. The only positive point for Amazon Strike is that the shows they license are some of the best each season. Their actual service is kinda garbage, with an interface that's difficult to navigate, and it being pretty hard to see all the shows available.

I think that highlights the problem of a monopoly, or close to it, that Justin discussed. Amazon is a giant company with plenty of money to spend, and it's strategy seems to be to buy content, including licensing entire anime blocks without any indication of what the actual shows might be. The problems with the service, like the interface, subtitling issues, late streams, and, of course, the double paywall, aren't a secret, but Amazon is big enough to feel like they don't need to deal with that. Eventually, they'd have enough shows that people want to see that they'll tolerate a less competitive service. That's pretty much the attitude of a monopoly.

Basically, what I'm saying is that even if Amazon isn't a monopoly, it seems to act like one. If that is how they operate when there is competition, it doesn't make me very optimistic about what we would get if they truly were the only game in town.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
The Anime Network, but these days it pretty much has the scraps left over from HiDive and Anime Strike (mostly subs, but an occasional dub from the last decade or so).

Oh do they still put episodes up out of order or have moments when they don't cycle in succeeding episodes for weeks?

Several cable operators have switched over to their newer HD feed, including Comcast, ATT Uverse, and a few others. With that service, multiple entire series are uploaded in the entirety, and you have anywhere for several weeks to several months to watch them. Usually, there is a mix of about 30 full seasons to watch, plus a dozen or so movies.

As for the issues with providers that still use the older week by week SD service, it really depends on the provider. Some upload the episodes with no issues, others don’t. Some every vary from one region of their network to the other.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 am Reply with quote
if they don't give me what i want i'll go grab it online for free.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
Sentai still has a cable on-demand outlet in the form of The Anime Network, but these days it pretty much has the scraps left over from HiDive and Anime Strike (mostly subs, but an occasional dub from the last decade or so).

I never encountered any of that, but not every cable system's Video On Demand is the same.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

{ha ha ha ha ha }

That last line completely killed me. You want examples in alphabetical order or in levels of pettiness? Masking Funimation their lackey should be enough of power abuse... of course that was after whiffing Free off to Diskotek. Thjen there was the "if you license it, we get it for free for four weeks" which has kind of become standard for the shows they get from Funimation... except Funimation can't run sub language tracks at all now. And people wonder why Sentai turned their back on them...

... I'm not even sure what you are saying. First, Funimation and Crunchyroll made a partnership. A partnership requires two companies to agree on the same terms. So how would that be power abuse? Crunchyroll did not buy Funimation nor any stocks in them... so it's impossible that it was any sort of corporate consolidation... Second, What's wrong with them sending Free to Discotek? Third, your next point doesn't even make sense. Funimation has access to every show they license at the same time as CR. They actually send the show to CR to let them stream the show subbed. Also it's not "for free", CR made the agreement to split up licensing costs, so both are shouldering some of the cost. The dub generally just takes more time to produce so comes out a bit later, but they aren't legally required to do so, as they are the license holder. Funimation made the choice to support dubs exclusively, as they felt that's where their business is best handled. They felt that staying in the sub simulcasting business was not in their best interest. So again, where does this point to CR abusing power?
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Best question I've seen in a while and that is sadly a very true fact in the anime business.
leelee85

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
reinux wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
reinux wrote:

Considering Amazon is one of the largest retailers of anime releases on DVD and Bluray, and likely digital as well, I imagine they have a much better idea of how large the market is compared to the rest of us. I’m sure they also know exactly how much of their anime is bought by those who already have Prime memberships.

Well then when will Amazon will start releasing the anime they licensed themselves on blu-ray or DVD or Give it to sentai or Funimation to release it then?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6