• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Don't Streaming Sites Work Together?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
A partnership requires two companies to agree on the same terms. So how would that be power abuse?

That assumes both companies go in with exactly equal power and need of each other. If Company A needs Company B more than Company B needs Company A and they both know it, Company B is in a position to demand conditions that favour themselves more, and Company A ultimately has to choose between the unfavourable conditions and not having the partnership. Sometimes they choose the unfavourable conditions and later discover they'd have been better off without the partnership.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
leelee85 wrote:

Well then when will Amazon will start releasing the anime they licensed themselves on blu-ray or DVD or Give it to sentai or Funimation to release it then?

We don’t know. We don’t even know which titles, if any, that Amazon has more than just streaming rights to. It’s just as likely that Sentai, Funimation, or someone else could license those rights from the Japanese companies, rather than having to go through Amazon. Until something is announced, or one of the titles officially solicited, we don’t know.
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:02 am Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

And this objection seems to be unique to the anime viewerbase. Steam doesn't have every video game, and Netflix/Hulu don't have every US movie and TV show, yet you don't see the same kind of "Unless one service has EVERYTHING, I'm going to keep on pirating" mentality in gamers and fans of Western entertainment.

Not entirely true; there are lots of people who are annoyed at how many services you need to subscribe to in order to watch the top live action shows. If you want to watch Star Trek Discovery, you have to have a specific subscription; there are some shows that are only simulcast on Hulu, some that are only available through HBO Go, etc. If anything, this is a problem that is only recently starting to affect anime. Remember; in recent years, Game of Thrones seasons and episodes have been the most pirated.

Then there are those whom cannot afford sites like Netflix, or legal downloads. That gives them only two options: pirate sites, or physical stores (which may not have a good selection).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
Perhaps more importantly, we should ask the following: why does Amazon Prime's Anime Strike continue to have the double paywall? Why does Hulu still insist on having limited commercials for the $7.95/month subscribers? Why does Netflix not do weekly anime simulcasts outside of Japan? Before people answer with things like "because ads help run the site" or "that's what the licensing agreement said", remember this: all 3 companies have over $1 billion. I think they are big enough to have a single monthly premium to air uncensored, weekly anime streams in their respective available territories.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:

I never encountered any of that, but not every cable system's Video On Demand is the same.

I know it cropped up a few times with Time Warner cable which was pretty rough when you didn't have internet access to just jump online to watch elsewhere.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
leelee85 wrote:

Well then when will Amazon will start releasing the anime they licensed themselves on blu-ray or DVD or Give it to sentai or Funimation to release it then?

We don’t know. We don’t even know which titles, if any, that Amazon has more than just streaming rights to. It’s just as likely that Sentai, Funimation, or someone else could license those rights from the Japanese companies, rather than having to go through Amazon. Until something is announced, or one of the titles officially solicited, we don’t know.

Well a good chunk of there shows are aniplex and pony canyon so they will likey come out though them.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
leelee85 wrote:

Well a good chunk of there shows are aniplex and pony canyon so they will likey come out though them.

The question was about shows that Amazon licenses themselves, such as Bahamut Virgin Soul. Not the Sentai, Pony Can, or Aniplex shows they’ve streamed. We already know who will be releasing those on home video.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:

I never encountered any of that, but not every cable system's Video On Demand is the same.

I know it cropped up a few times with Time Warner cable which was pretty rough when you didn't have internet access to just jump online to watch elsewhere.

Ohhh...Time Warner Cable. That explains it. At The Anime Network forums, there did seem to be frequent problems with TWC, I think more so than with any other cable company TAN did business with.
Ushio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
[quote="BadNewsBlues"]

Ushio wrote:

You know what Mr Sevakis I'll go one step further by saying that having all anime on one streaming service is better competition for consumers than having multiple ones. I don't give a shit about the anime studios

BadNewsBlues wrote:

If you don't care about anime studios why watch their products?

I watch anime I don't care who produces it just like I don't care who makes my TV as long as it's good value. When I go to the cinema the company that made the film is irrelevant.

Ushio wrote:

A single streaming service is cheaper for me than having multiple so better for me. Having 3 stores in my town selling Pepsi doesn't cost me anything multiple streaming sites do.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

Sure provided one of two or stores isn't selling the pepsi for a dollar or so more than the one store that doesn't and you willfully buy from those two stores anyway.

again all those stored are selling the same product and the competition is on price that isn't how streaming services work they each have unique product.

Ushio wrote:

A single streaming service forces the anime studios to release quality product every time so that consumers choose there anime to watch at a trusted level of quality over choosing other studios who may release cheap rubbish. To me is beneficial consumer competition not multiple streaming services.

BadNewsBlues wrote:

If you had a single streaming service that featured all content that wouldn't really be a competition since they would have an unfair advantage the other services wouldn't have or be able to overcome.

It would be competition between those making the content who want people watching there content to get higher fees from Netflix that's the competition we need not 'competition' that means I'm paying $8 each for 4 streaming services instead of $20 for 1.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
You didn't have to go to separate book stores to buy a Random House book vs. a Hachette book.
Though it's not like Amazon didn't try to bring that about!

Kadmos1 wrote:
Perhaps more importantly, we should ask the following: why does Amazon Prime's Anime Strike continue to have the double paywall? Why does Hulu still insist on having limited commercials for the $7.95/month subscribers? Why does Netflix not do weekly anime simulcasts outside of Japan? Before people answer with things like "because ads help run the site" or "that's what the licensing agreement said", remember this: all 3 companies have over $1 billion. I think they are big enough to have a single monthly premium to air uncensored, weekly anime streams in their respective available territories.
They may have over a billion, but they didn't get rich writing a lot of checks. And even all that money doesn't allow them to air uncensored versions that don't exist while the shows are airing on Japanese TV.

Kougeru wrote:
The more people branch away from Crunchyroll, the more likely I would assume my dreams of their quality going up to be better. I also absolutely hate the fact that they're still the only site I know that's running a flash video player. It's 2017...what the hell man? I been using HTML5 on youtube since 2010...

animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-04-22/.101345

Quote:
In a Reddit AMA from last year, CEO Kun Gao was asked directly why they don't support HTML5 video, and at the time he cited contractural reasons: they are required to protect their video streams AND run ads, and right now Flash is the only sane way to do that. HTML5's protected streaming was (and really, still is) so hard to implement that it remains out of reach for many companies, and video advertising over HTML5 is still not ready.

Top Gun wrote:

I don't think you've spent enough time around gamers. A lot of people were extremely annoyed when EA started making their titles exclusive to their own Origin service, and I don't know a single person who enjoys needing to create a useless UPlay account for Ubisoft's library, even when playing them through Steam. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if a decent number of people just decided to pirate those titles instead. The majority of PC gamers want everything in one Lord Gaben-run place.
Admittedly I don't spend a whole lot of time around gamers, but limiting the scope to PC games is moving the goalposts closer for the video game industry. Do gamers insist that Nintendo Switch and other console games run on PCs, or vice versa? Do gamers insist that Steam carry retro games from the 80s/90s/00s? Not that I know of -- they seem (or seemed) okay with getting modern PC games from Steam, and old SNES games from the Virtual Console or whatever it's called now. Otoh, anime viewers hate on CR and other legal services for not having enough oldschool anime (while curiously also calling the one-week delay for free viewing a critical deal-breaker), and wouldn't accept a legal site that specialized in a broadly-popular genre and era of anime like shounen/action/adventure made after 2010.

Beyond that, gamers accept that individual games still have monetary value, while anime viewers want to drive the price of episodes and entire series to negligible ranges by insisting on unlimited access to as much as possible for as little as possible. That wouldn't be so bad if it were just anime streaming, but now they want streaming sites to include download/ownership options as well.

Ushio wrote:
I watch anime I don't care who produces it just like I don't care who makes my TV as long as it's good value. When I go to the cinema the company that made the film is irrelevant.
If the studios and production companies suffer a decline in revenue, as might happen under a "single-monopoly-streamer" scenario, don't you think the quality and quantity of the anime you watch would take a corresponding hit?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Admittedly I don't spend a whole lot of time around gamers, but limiting the scope to PC games is moving the goalposts closer for the video game industry. Do gamers insist that Nintendo Switch and other console games run on PCs, or vice versa? Do gamers insist that Steam carry retro games from the 80s/90s/00s? Not that I know of -- they seem (or seemed) okay with getting modern PC games from Steam, and old SNES games from the Virtual Console or whatever it's called now. Otoh, anime viewers hate on CR and other legal services for not having enough oldschool anime (while curiously also calling the one-week delay for free viewing a critical deal-breaker), and wouldn't accept a legal site that specialized in a broadly-popular genre and era of anime like shounen/action/adventure made after 2010.

There have been no shortage of gamers who have expressed the desire for Nintendo to go the software-only route and publish their titles on other platforms, or even PC. It'll almost certainly never happen, of course, but the opinion exists, because people are reluctant to buy a new hardware platform primarily for a single developer. And Steam has a massive number of retro games available, going back to the DOS era (hell, they have Zork), as well as emulated retro console titles like much of Sega's Genesis library. One of Steam's main competitors, GOG.com, started as Good Old Games and was originally exclusively dedicated to retro titles. There's a huge demand for this in the PC sphere, just as there is on consoles.

Quote:
Beyond that, gamers accept that individual games still have monetary value, while anime viewers want to drive the price of episodes and entire series to negligible ranges by insisting on unlimited access to as much as possible for as little as possible. That wouldn't be so bad if it were just anime streaming, but now they want streaming sites to include download/ownership options as well.

PC gamers are all about Steam's absurd holiday prices; I think every one of us using the service has a huge backlog of games we picked up for dirt cheap. And GOG was built on offering DRM-free game downloads that can be downloaded an unlimited number of times. They've managed to make it a successful business model while offering titles from huge publishers like EA and Ubisoft. They're basically my dream model of a legal download-to-own anime service.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:

It would be competition between those making the content who want people watching there content to get higher fees from Netflix that's the competition we need not 'competition' that means I'm paying $8 each for 4 streaming services instead of $20 for 1.

.....You paying for 4 different streaming services is kind of more of a problem of your own making then it simply being the fault of the companies who create and run those streaming services.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

.....You paying for 4 different streaming services is kind of more of a problem of your own making then it simply being the fault of the companies who create and run those streaming services.

At least paying for 4 services all in the same month is. A lot of cost issues could be resolved if people would loosen up on their "must see every series the same day it comes out in Japan" requirement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6