• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime That Almost Were

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I quite frankly think of canceled anime as a wasted opportunity. Even the anime I'm less likely to enjoy could promote talented staff. Oh well, it can't be helped.

As for gender, statistics on the taste of demographics is useful and fun.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Hannah Montana: Thank goodness this didn't come to fruition. What a horrible idea. I could think of more deserving celebrities to get an anime series.

Sailor Moon: Why did they ever conceive this horrid concept anyway? Seriously? Takeuchi would have burned the Toon Makers studio to the ground had this actually happened.

aquaofthewater wrote:
I'm surprised they didn't even include Warrior Nun Areala as an Honorable Mention.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jimzSaxe6Y

^That was actually pretty good, thanks for linking that. That would have made for a great late 80s/early 90s show. It has all the rebel dark demon attitude material down perfectly.

The new poll: I definitely enjoyed Altair so far, despite some major problems with how the Japanese VAs can't pronounce Turkish words (no surprise there), and how the subbers can't seem to spell Turkish words correctly (they likely have no one fluent in the language). I look forward to more, and down the line, I hope the show gets an English dub and possibly a Turkish dub.

Gundam Twilight AXIS was a surprisingly decent hit for what amounted to a short story, and it was told in such short bite-sized episodes. I liked it.

The old poll: As if there were any doubt as to who the greatest detective in anime is (though I'm sure Shinichi would say he's still nowhere near Sherlock's level yet). And speaking of the legend, I'm glad Sherlock Hound also made the list for the 18th spot. Can't forget his great show (they should release more figures for it besides just him though).

Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
As I recall, I added Inspector Lunge to the list, and he placed ninth. Lunge is such a memorable character, particularly that business with his fingers "typing" facts into an imaginary typewriter.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Sailor Moon Most Sailor Moon fans who've been around long enough have seen the pilot video of the American cartoon/live-action hybrid Sailor Moon proposed by Toon Makers and shopped to Saban and Bandai as potential Fox Kids programming.
The pilot seemed really interested in making the "Sailor" part of the title make literal sense.

Like Saban with the Power Rangers, the idea was that, even if you threw the original Japanese plot out the window, as long as the heroes had the same costumes, the doll/toy marketing could be imported into the US.

And yes, everyone's seen the video of Laughing Boy busting a gut over the convention footage over the last fifteen years or so, that one site even interviewed ToonMakers producer Rocky Solotoff for....the Rest Of The Story:
http://www.animefringe.com/magazine/01.06/feature/2/index.php3
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Such a list isn't complete without Natural Born Kittens
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember when the plethora of ToonMakers Sailor Moon cels popped up and were sold on E-bay. I didn't know the history behind their appearance was because the original owner's storage facility was in the process of being cleared due to criminal charges.

The transformation sequence for TM Sailor Moon was rotoscoped, with them using a model for the hand motions and then tracing over that for the final cel. I did pick up a couple cels from Sailor Moon's attack, which sort of looked as if she would be throwing a boomerang at the enemy. Prince Endymion looked atrocious wearing pink and carrying a big stick, and Jupiter...wow...just...Google. That horrible shade of pink lipstick they gave her was not the worst part of that character's design.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
If that Hannah Montana anime got off the ground, I'm absolutely positive that it would've run for 48-52 episodes and never see the light of day in the US. Why? Because Disney Channel would've not wanted an anime that they couldn't control or own. An English dub might've been commissioned, but it would've most likely aired on Disney Channel in other English-speaking countries.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
That Sailor Moon sounds horrible and the pic looks like a character from that awful Darkstalkers cartoon from 1995.

It looks as if it would have been more Western than anime. And it likely would have offended both Japanese and American audiences. But you can be sure there would be a Mattel toy line from it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:10 pm Reply with quote
But there is a Hannah Montana anime. It's called Kodocha. Di$ney saw the show fansubbed, when AX was based at their hotel in 2000, and the rest is history. Cool
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Vibrant Wolf wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Man, I would've loved to have watched Despera and The Five Killers.

agreed. someone should totally put them into production.

Not sure the version wouldn't been the same with different directors.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
The old poll: As if there were any doubt as to who the greatest detective in anime is (though I'm sure Shinichi would say he's still nowhere near Sherlock's level yet). And speaking of the legend, I'm glad Sherlock Hound also made the list for the 18th spot. Can't forget his great show (they should release more figures for it besides just him though).

I had actually forgotten Giraffe-friend--Not that she was a great detective, and nowhere in Hound's league, but still needed some representation on the poll.

As for Hound, now that Crunchyroll has it streaming, I no longer have to guard my OOP Pioneer DVD's under lock and key.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mew Berry wrote:
I totally would have watched Despera. "Spiritual successor to Lain" is enough to get me interested. Hopefully it actually moves forward eventually.

I'm not going to complain! We did receive NieA_7 and Haibane Renmei in due time; both of which, despite their many differences, servicing their respective themes with the same quiet grace that we saw in Lain.

I haven't watched either of those, but I really should.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I've still miffed that the Alive anime(anime#10077) got cancelled when Gonzo fell apart in the middle 00s. I read the manga all the way through and it was actually pretty good for shounen battle series. There was enough unique about it to keep me interested all the way through.[/url]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Hannah Montana: Thank goodness this didn't come to fruition. What a horrible idea. I could think of more deserving celebrities to get an anime series.

Who Fred Figglehorn Razz

epicwizard wrote:
If that Hannah Montana anime got off the ground, I'm absolutely positive that it would've run for 48-52 episodes and never see the light of day in the US. Why? Because Disney Channel would've not wanted an anime that they couldn't control or own. An English dub might've been commissioned, but it would've most likely aired on Disney Channel in other English-speaking countries.

Cause of Stitch?
Nojay

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Yoshitoshi ABe published a series of annotated illustrations (I wouldn't call it a manga) that was the basis/home/storyboard of Despera. 1920s steampunk crossed with Steins:Gate and a dash of Lain and set dressing leftovers from Terry Gilliam's Brazil, from what I could figure out.

Which kidney do you want for this to be real, left or right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4