• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime That Almost Were

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
partially

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mew Berry wrote:
I totally would have watched Despera. "Spiritual successor to Lain" is enough to get me interested. Hopefully it actually moves forward eventually.

I'm not going to complain! We did receive NieA_7 and Haibane Renmei in due time; both of which, despite their many differences, servicing their respective themes with the same quiet grace that we saw in Lain.

I would love to see Yoshitoshi ABe attached to anything. Every show he lent his talents to turned out interesting, he has an interesting design style. But he seriously hasn't been involved with any anime since Technolyze, which is like 15 years ago. There is Project D of course, but I dunno if that counts. If I wasn't told he was doing the design work there I certainly wouldn't have picked it as him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFIYgBgYrA0

Also I still hope each year for a new announcement to finish Dream Machine, Kon is missed.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
If I'm remembering right, they did release a Despera Light Novel, didn't they? Always wanted to read that. It's such a shame the project ended in development hell. I've loved everything Konaka worked in. Hopefully, he can get into that after the Digimon Tamers audio drama.
Dream Machine is the other project from the list I wanted to see. Kon was a genius and seeing anything by him, even if he didn't direct, would be wonderful. I still hope for MadHouse to finish the project. I mean, I'm sure nobody thought that Redline would've get finished but here we are.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
But you can be sure there would be a Mattel toy line from it.

There sorta was. The Moon Cycle, which was released during the original airing of the dubbed Sailor Moon, originated from the ToonMakers version of Sailor Moon.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Such a list isn't complete without Natural Born Kittens

Holy crap! Guru Larry was making an anime? Laughing

Last edited by v1cious on Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I actually remember that Satanika video on sale at Suncoast (and horribly date myself in the process).
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
If I'm remembering right, they did release a Despera Light Novel, didn't they?

You're probably thinking about the roman album, which contains a lot of Abe's artwork for the project, as well as interviews and Chiaki Konaka's Despera "novel," which was serialized in Animage, and isn't long enough to really call a novel.

One long-dead project I would've liked to have seen is Mai-mu, a theatrical film announced in 1989 as a collaboration between Shouji Kawamori and Haruhiko Mikimoto, about a country girl going to the city. The project was featured on the cover of Animage magazine at the time. I don't know if this is true or not, but one Japanese site I saw claims that Kawamori lost his will to go on with it after Kiki's Delivery Service came out, as he felt his thunder had been totally stolen.

I found another image here

The other "canceled" anime I'd most want to see is Mamoru Hosoda's "Howl's Moving Castle," as I felt the version of that film that actually got made was a huge mess in its second half.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
As I recall, I added Inspector Lunge to the list, and he placed ninth. Lunge is such a memorable character, particularly that business with his fingers "typing" facts into an imaginary typewriter.

Lunge definitely got my vote. He was the perfect Javert to Tenma's Valjean.

It's an absolute crime that nothing has been done with Dream Machine. Masao Maruyama promised Kon on his deathbed that he'd make it happen, and yet here we sit years later. I know Maruyama has stated since that he doesn't really want to push forward with another director, since then it wouldn't be Kon's own vision anymore, but isn't getting at least part of Kon shining through his last work far better than getting nothing at all?

And yeah, Despera desperately needs to happen too.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
If I'm remembering right, they did release a Despera Light Novel, didn't they?

You're probably thinking about the roman album, which contains a lot of Abe's artwork for the project, as well as interviews and Chiaki Konaka's Despera "novel," which was serialized in Animage, and isn't long enough to really call a novel.

I see. Thank you very much for the clarificaton. I remember finding some translations of Konaka's text online, but never the full thing so I just assumed it was a longer narrative.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Of this list Despera and Dream machine are what bum me out the most.

Hopefully Despera will still get made, I'm not holding my breath for Dream machine after all this time though.
EB01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yoshitoshi ABe mentioned the update on Despera during a live drawing session at Overload 2014 which is in New Zealand — not Australia.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
epicwizard wrote:
If that Hannah Montana anime got off the ground, I'm absolutely positive that it would've run for 48-52 episodes and never see the light of day in the US. Why? Because Disney Channel would've not wanted an anime that they couldn't control or own. An English dub might've been commissioned, but it would've most likely aired on Disney Channel in other English-speaking countries.

Cause of Stitch?

Yep. That, PPGZ (this one aired on Carton Network in other English-speaking countries), and Marvel Disk Wars.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:02 am Reply with quote
The Five Killers could still get made if someone like Trigger were to see it and maybe produce and put it on Netflix
I doubt it though
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Hannah Montana: Thank goodness this didn't come to fruition. What a horrible idea. I could think of more deserving celebrities to get an anime series....
And then there's this, not really an anime but animated. And a season two??
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:05 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Hannah Montana: Thank goodness this didn't come to fruition. What a horrible idea. I could think of more deserving celebrities to get an anime series....
And then there's this, not really an anime but animated. And a season two??

And damn if Adult Swim isn't showing it a lot too. I mean not as much as Family Guy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Hannah Montana: Thank goodness this didn't come to fruition. What a horrible idea. I could think of more deserving celebrities to get an anime series.

Insert "Core in the House" anime joke here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4