• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Broccoli Reports 70% Drop in Profits in 1st Half of Fiscal Year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
That sucks.
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:42 am Reply with quote
After seeing their anime list, I'm not even surprised.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:57 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
After seeing their anime list, I'm not even surprised.

Aside from UtaPri and Z/X, most of their notable properties are from years back, so not surprised either. What I could glean from their Japanese Wikipedia page the company has been pretty mismanaged. It doesn't help that their merchandise isn't exactly renown for its quality, which I unfortunately have personal experience of in the form of few of their anime figures...
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
I imagine the only things that are keeping them afloat at this point are Uta no Prince-sama and what (probably small) profit they get from selling merchandise through their online store for licenses they don't own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
XSp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
Sad to see... but if I'm honest about it, I think the time I consumed and watched their content is kinda far in the past... early DiGi Charat (me kara beaaam), Pita Ten and the one title that I still feel is an underdog and is still among the best parody animes for me personally, Galaxy Angel.
I'd want for the company to prosper for it alone, but it's been too long a time from it's period.

Of course there's also Gamers to think about... I want it to still be there when I manage to go back to Japan. Razz
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
Time to bring UtaPri game overseas, and hope the UtaPri Mobage brings in big money.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Curiosa: Takaaki Kidani founded Broccoli in 1994. In 2007 he left to form the company Bushiroad which has been successful in its own right, mainly in trading card games and videogames but has also been involved in many anime production committees.
It might be a coincidence, but the decline of Broccoli started around the same time...
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Curiosa: Takaaki Kidani founded Broccoli in 1994. In 2007 he left to form the company Bushiroad which has been successful in its own right, mainly in trading card games and videogames but has also been involved in many anime production committees.
It might be a coincidence, but the decline of Broccoli started around the same time...

Not a coincidence at all. Broccoli has been a zombie company ever since really.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm curious why their yearly estimation was so dang high. I mean, what the hell gave them the idea they would be pulling in that much when they don't really have any active franchises at the moment? And even UtaPri had no new anime this year at all. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
UtaPri has fallen to EnStars and I7. It spawned a genre, and now fans are realizing it's not that great.

Kamigami no Asobi is amazing, but it's... over. Like, they're not making anything new of it, and they sort of can't.

I'm sure than 90% of any high profit they had in the past few years was from UtaPri. In 2015, I went to Japan and UtaPri was everywhere. Last December and January (16-17), there was a lot more idol stuff, but it was like eight different series, not just one.

I'm pretty sure the rest are healthy, but... UtaPri was never that good. Now that there are alternatives...
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
They need to make new stuff or try and revamp older stuff. A reboot of Galaxy Angel could do really well. I have a huge love for this company and hope they can come back from this somehow.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Aren't these the folks that actually go after their fans?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
Aren't these the folks that actually go after their fans?

I can only find one article where it is mentioned they go after UtaPri related doujin goods, and that was 3 years ago. Do you have info on something else beside that?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It seems that Broccoli's seemingly-sole dependence on UtaPri has taken its devastating toll.

A total shame, as I enjoyed watching Di-Gi-Charat and Galaxy Angel from years earlier. Sad
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Broccoli has made some good anime shows over the years but they have become a bit limited. Hopefully they can turn things around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2