• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
YuruYuri (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote
YuruYuri

Summary from ANN:
Quote:
Right after starting middle school, Akari Akaza joins the Amusement Club which is composed solely by her two childhood friends, Kyouko Toshinou and Yui Funami. Chinatsu Yoshikawa, Akaza's classmate, becomes a member after finding out about the dissolution of the Tea Club. The Amusement Club, situated at the tea room facility since the Tea Club disbanded, has no clear purpose, being free for the girls to do whatever they want.

Episode Discussion Index:

Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8 (not yet aired)
Episode 9 (not yet aired)
Episode 10 (not yet aired)
Episode 11 (not yet aired)
Episode 12 (not yet aired)

---------------------------------------------

Episode 1

I wasn't planning on watching anything this season, but a couple things seemed to be sticking out more than others, and this was one of them. Pretty funny first episode. It's not hilarious, but I still got a good number of laughs and not as awful and cliche-bound as I thought it'd be. It's the faces and the reactions that are really getting to me and putting the smiles on my face. I was expecting tons and tons of yuririffic stuff, but aside from Kyoko's antics (which weren't really bad), it seemed pretty tame, though the big boobed student in the next episode preview could change that. I think as long as they don't go too yuri-sexual-harassment-stuff, this could be a really nice show.

And while I don't think the entire show was hilarious, that scene where Kyoko went into the sister's bedroom put me in stitches.

PS: Kyoko for the win.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I am pretty much dying to see the sister.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if it's an older or a younger sister. An older one would be alright, but honestly, if it's a younger one, I will stick with this show no matter what. I mean, Akari is only about 12 herself, so if she had a sister that was, like, 8, and was that obsessed, I don't know if I'd be able to control myself. Did you see that body pillow? Now imgaine an 8 year old putting the lip lock to it. Hilarious, isn't it? Of course it is.

Although, I hope it's not a 16-17 year old sister, because that could be creepy and weird. It'd remind me of that green-haired girl from Kananemo, and I didn't like her that much because she was just so...pedo. I'm hoping for either 5-8 or 13-14. Or a fraternal twin.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see you have definite standards when it comes to yuri weirdness, my friend.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, does YuriYuri have any yuri in it?

I will probably watch either way but a heads-up would be appreciated.
lelliel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I was expecting tons and tons of yuririffic stuff, but aside from Kyoko's antics (which weren't really bad), it seemed pretty tame, though the big boobed student in the next episode preview could change that.

A rumor goes around that the mangaka actually had complaints from readers it wasn't yuri enough, that's how low it was on the actual yuri. The complaints aren't that surprising though since it actual was published in yuri magazine.

HaruhiToy wrote:

I will probably watch either way but a heads-up would be appreciated.

Yes, it does but show is a more of a moe slice of life with yuri, or umm.... it's more concern with cute antics and slice of life than yuri or relationship advancement having read the manga and seen the first episode.

There just a couple bits of Yuri is what I'm saying.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:04 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

It's hinted at yuri elements, but I have a feeling it'll be mostly light, I doubt it will get to levels of Strawberry Panic. Though I do hope it has a bit of making out Embarassed .

Honestly, this seems like a fun little diversion. And yesh, I also hope the sister is younger.
Scormio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
I'd watch this if there wasn't yuri, but that just makes it even better.

Also, missile boobs
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was very cute and the characters were fun to watch. It looks like it will be a good slice-of-life show with a little yuri twist. Mirakurun~!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
So I was watching the first episode and I was like, where is the yuri again? Which girl or girls are actual lesbians? With a show that it's implied there is yuri that ends up only showing run of the mill yuri-esque antics like oppai grabbing, dog-eyed admiration and glomping, that is not going to pass for me. Yeah of course the characters are preteens, but I think that still leaves room for portrayal of mature relationships. I'm fine with the probable awkward love triangle, but to see a slice-of-life show with a committed pair or a budding relationship would be a refreshing twist. My expectations of this for a title like yuruyuri are already set high, so I hope it doesn't disappoint with simple shoujo-ai pandering.
Joichiro Nishi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
So I was watching the first episode and I was like, where is the yuri again? Which girl or girls are actual lesbians? With a show that it's implied there is yuri that ends up only showing run of the mill yuri-esque antics like oppai grabbing, dog-eyed admiration and glomping, that is not going to pass for me. Yeah of course the characters are preteens, but I think that still leaves room for portrayal of mature relationships. I'm fine with the probable awkward love triangle, but to see a slice-of-life show with a committed pair or a budding relationship would be a refreshing twist. My expectations of this for a title like yuruyuri are already set high, so I hope it doesn't disappoint with simple shoujo-ai pandering.

The thing is that Japan doesn't like lesbians, every openly yuri anime has been a sale deception or a complete flop like Aoi Hana and Sasameki Koto. Fangirls can relate to male characters but male otakus can't insert themselves with female characters and that's the entire point of watching anime nowadays, to search for an ideal relationship with a virtual girlfriend/boyfriend.

Yuru Yuri is what otakus actually buy, 4 cute girls doing cute stuff. The yuri element is just for teasing, it's just a way to preserve the pureness of the potential waifus because the love between these girls isn't real, it's just Class S. They're just waiting to their true love, a male otaku who support his waifu buying every piece of merchandise.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
Damn and I thought Comic Yuri Hime found a market for yuri titles among females and males. Sasameki Koto a flop. That's news to me.
Metaflux

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:34 am Reply with quote
Enjoyed the episode, can't deny that even though genre's like this aren't normally my thing. (EDIT: The Yuri doesn't bother me rather their age, it's kinda borderline [M.S.]) To be honest though I don't even know what my thing is sometimes.

Last edited by Metaflux on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
For these type of shows to work for me they must have, for lack of a better term, heart. At times you can overcome that with comedy but, judging from the first episode, YuruYuri lacks both. I'm going to give it a couple more episodes due to how much I enjoyed A Channel last season, a show that had a similarly lackluster first episode.
lelliel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:

Ouch. From the first episode it looks like it's going to be faithful adaption of the manga, so yeah you're going to be disappointed hard. Here's my kinda review of the manga here.

Also, it's kinda rare for yuri to have actual lesbians. I know that sounds strange but it's true mainly because it either never gets actually confirmed or the character is like "If it's you I'm absolutely cool with it." So yeah, yuri rarely equals lesbians. And here's a post on this topic if your curious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5