• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Wins Amazon Critics Choice

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
spoiler[And why the heck would they spend time animating Hitler when the movie is about Ed and Al? O.o]

The movie (and the world) isn't just about Ed and Al, though. That's the whole point of the movie, and why the ending is the way it is.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Quote:
spoiler[And why the heck would they spend time animating Hitler when the movie is about Ed and Al? O.o]

The movie (and the world) isn't just about Ed and Al, though. That's the whole point of the movie, and why the ending is the way it is.

Yes, but since spoiler[Hitler isn't really a huge part of the plot (the Thule society is trying to get the weapons of Shamballa for Hitler, but other than that his new order is just sort of a background thing to create an atmosphere to set the story against) I don't see why someone complained about him not being animated. I thought it was just fine with the still frames of him escaping the beer hall.]

Ultimately, the movie is about Ed and Al, only it's about them realizing that the world doesn't revolve around them. But whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:31 pm Reply with quote
But if the Hitler subplot was unimportant to the movie, they could've just animated Hughes talking about Hitler instead of showing static images of it and saved money while still showing some actual animated scene. It's not about whether it's important or not that annoys me about that scene. It's that it's clearly a last ditch effort to save money and it looks really cheap, especially when not even the TV series animated their scenes in that manner, and the rest of the movie was visually impressive and there were other ways they could save money while not resorting to such a cheap shortcut as a last ditch effort.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
But if the Hitler subplot was unimportant to the movie, they could've just animated Hughes talking about Hitler instead of showing static images of it and saved money while still showing some actual animated scene. It's not about whether it's important or not that annoys me about that scene. It's that it's clearly a last ditch effort to save money and it looks really cheap, especially when not even the TV series animated their scenes in that manner, and the rest of the movie was visually impressive and there were other ways they could save money while not resorting to such a cheap shortcut as a last ditch effort.

Ahahahaha.

Do you think with the CLEARLY large budget for the Fullmetal Alchemist movie, they decided to do that scene of "stills" because they were cutting back on animation price?

It was obviously a "story book"/"snapshot"-type scene in which stills were preferrable to convey a sense of history being told in single frames. It had to do with the execution of an idea, not the budget of the show.

The entire post-WWI/pre-WWII aspect of the movie is used to frame the technological/mythical aspect of the Amestris world and plotline of the series, putting things in a perspective that people can understand better, while providing unique (albiet unecessary) conclusions to some of the hanging plot threads from the end of the series. And, to anyone who reads up on their history, it really is an intriguing and fitting way to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The entire post-WWI/pre-WWII aspect of the movie is used to frame the technological/mythical aspect of the Amestris world and plotline of the series, putting things in a perspective that people can understand better, while providing unique (albiet unecessary) conclusions to some of the hanging plot threads from the end of the series. And, to anyone who reads up on their history, it really is an intriguing and fitting way to do it.
But the DVD's "Making Of Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie" extra feature clearly states that the movie's production was rushed, especially in the final stages of the production. You act as if the FMA movie has the budget of a Studio Ghibli film when it's hardly the next Spirited Away. While they could have had a creative decision in mind with the choice to animate those scenes in that manner, it's not all that impossible to believe that they also animated the scene as a shortcut to save on cash, especially since the final stages of the production were clearly rushed. Either way it doesn't change the fact that I still hate the way those scenes were animated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2