• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night (TV 2005).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Fate/stay night (TV 2005)

Genres: action, drama, magic, supernatural, thriller
Themes: fighting, legendary warriors, mythology, school, spirits, survival game

Plot Summary: Shirou Emiya lost his parents in a fire when he was young and was later adopted by a sorceror by the name of Kiritsugu Emiya. Although he was full of admiration for his adopted father and yearns to become an ally of justice, Shirou has limited powers and was unable to become a strong sorceror like his father. That is until one fateful day, he was drawn into the Holy Grail War and had to summon a female "Servant" known as Saber in order to protect himself.

It turns out that the Holy Grail War involves a series of battles among powerful sorcerors to fight for the possession of a relic that will grant one's wishes, the Holy Grail. There are altogether seven "Masters" who can summon their respective "Servants" from different classes known as Saber, Archer, Rider, Berserker, Lancer, Caster and Assasin. These "Servants" have to hide their names in order not to reveal their weaknesses to the enemies. The story revolves around Shirou and his entanglement in the Holy Grail War.

Available on HIDIVE.
----------------------------------

I just watched Fate/Stay Night today and I'm enjoying it. I'm glad I let all of you sucker me into this one. Wink Very Happy Of course, I've only seen the first DVD of it, but I'm liking it...so far!

Shirou Emiya is perhaps a bit of a typical anime character: naive, ignorant of his powers etc. but has a really powerful Servant. Saber is a Servant who is a bit cold in personality but seems to be immensely strong for her relative size.

At first, due to the words of her incantation of summoning, I thought that I wouldn't like Rin Tohsaka but she does seem to have a a decent heart, since she save Shirou's life. And her Servant Archer seems to be a capable and amusing fellow.

I do not like the little girl Illya. Someone needs to get the brat ASAP.

I like the idea spoiler[that the Servants are Heros of the Past. Illya's Servant is Hercules for example. ]I thought that I knew who Saber was, but when I went and read previous threads, I found out that I was wrong. spoiler[I thought she was Joan of Arc.]

enjoyed the music in this series as well. Of course, I have the habit of not really "hearing" it but I have to say that it didn't jolt me out of what I was watching and go "WTF?" I HATE it when I'm watching something and the music becomes...obnoxious and jarring...and I'm jolted out out of my concentration of and involvement in the anime or movie and begin thinking about the real world.

Like I said, I'm enjoying this and I'm looking forward to the rest of it. While I read the previous posts, I'm still not understanding some of what was said but I'm sure that I will gain that knowledge as the story goes on. I'm really looking forward to it! Very Happy
omar235

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
spoiler[I thought she was Joan of Arc]

You know I thought the same thing mostly because I wasn't aware that there were stories out there spoiler[saying that king aurthor could be a women in disguise] have to give it to the creators for keeping me guessing on that one. Wink I think you will begin to understand things as the anime progresses. Illya actually grew on me...she might grow on you after their encounter with her. Going back to whether you will understand some things I heard that the game does a better job explaining things since the anime only covers one of the three stories.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Fate/stay night's an odd bird, really. The anime, on its own, is actually really good in the end, barring a bit of weirdness here & there (the spoiler[magical CG mana dragon] and the...spoiler[oddly out-of-character things they have Caster do to Sakura,] for example). And in terms of adapting the first third of the original game (the Fate scenario, Saber's route), it's incredibly faithful. If you've liked it so far, you're almost certain to enjoy it to the end.

Unfortunately, in terms of being a complete Fate/stay night adaptation, it's a bit troublesome. The three scenarios that comprise the original game—Fate, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel—each work as parts of a whole, despite being alternate tellings of the same story. Each one provides separate pieces of the puzzle until the whole thing becomes clear. So while the anime's almost strict adherence to the Fate scenario works wonders in terms of showcasing that one scenario, it ultimately leaves out crucial details. Anything that was formally addressed in Unlimited Blade Works or Heaven's Feel is left to vague and uncertain hints in the anime, including Archer's origins, Rider's entire backstory (leading her to look like spoiler[a brainless drone] in the anime, which particularly got on my nerves), Caster's & Lancer's own histories, True Assassin (who doesn't even exist in the anime), the history of the Matou family (and spoiler[Sakura's magical little secret]), and the true origins of the Grail War.

In terms of telling you what you need to know about the Grail War basics and about the chemistry between Shirou and Saber specifically, the Fate/stay night anime is very nicely done and is a very nice adaptation of the original. But you'll probably need to do a bit of reading up on Type-Moon lore to know just what the rest of the characters' deals are, as the spotlight seldom shines on anyone but Shioru and Saber.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, Ihad no idea about that, do you think they will possibly make the others into OVA's or something? Because I was wondering about Archer and Lancer the whole time and was a little aggrevated that they didn't really tell much about either.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't count on any new Fate anime anytime soon. As I've heard it told, the anime series was meant to follow Fate, while the manga will follow Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel will be a radio drama or something along those lines.

Meaning somebody damn well better cough up the money for a manga license pronto. And somebody else better have plans to corner the US anime radio drama market. I needs me some Archer and some spoiler[Dark Sakura.] Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I was good this time and read what Wikipedia had to say. Shocked Embarassed

I have to say, it's times like these that I was that I was a gamer!

I think I have a better grasp on the subject and I think that I'll go back and read some of the previous posts. Thank goodness there the discussions sticky! Helped me find the other threads quickly.

I know you hate these sort of questions, Nagisa, but have you heard anything about anime adaptations of Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel? It would certainly make sense to me if they would make anime out of those.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
I wouldn't count on any new Fate anime anytime soon. As I've heard it told, the anime series was meant to follow Fate, while the manga will follow Unlimited Blade Works, and Heaven's Feel will be a radio drama or something along those lines.

Really? I tend to not care for manga that wasn't manga to begin with, but I would definitely read the Fate/stay night manga if it's another story of the game (since I figure the likelyhood of me playing the game anytime in the near future is pretty unlikely). I'm a bit disappointed in how unlikely it will be that I will get to hear the radio drama, but I'd really love to hear that (in a language I can comprehend).

On the anime, I enjoyed it a lot when it started, but it settled into routine as it progressed. I liked the ending a lot, and the action scenes were exciting to watch, but there were a few things I saw from the game CG that I was pretty disappointed I didn't get to see animated, though I really think that spoiler[hideous CG dragon] was a bit jarring. I loved the music though. Also helped establish my interest in Jyukai.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:40 pm Reply with quote
They could've waited a little longer to put out Fate/Stay Night here and put the radio drama on the DVD's like what FUNi did with Burst Angel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

I know you hate these sort of questions, Nagisa, but have you heard anything about anime adaptations of Unlimited Blade Works and Heaven's Feel? It would certainly make sense to me if they would make anime out of those.

Nagisa already gave his opinion on that in the post above yours.

I would love to see either of the other two scenarios animated someday (preferably by Kyoto Animation or Bones), but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon, if ever.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

I would suppose you're referring to the manga title that is in the encyclopedia that is following Unlimited Blade Works, correct? SO do you know if the manga and the anime are on a different course, because I've read the first two volumes of the manga so far. I really like how it's picked up with the second volume, too bad these things take FOREVER to come out with a new volume. I'm still waiting on Melty Blood volume 2 Evil or Very Mad
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:11 am Reply with quote
After I finished the first DVD I immediately went online and ordered 2 Saber PVCs. I didn't know anything about the series previously, but really found it amazing from the first disc. I'm glad to hear Nagisa's encouraging words about the rest of the series and also loved Tsukihime. It's funny I like this series since I tend to not really care for harem anime, and avoid dating sims. The relationship between Shirou and Saber reminds me of Shana where there is a genuine concern about the other persons connection with humanity which resonates with me. The main characters of the Type Moon series don't constantly daydream (and drool) about the entire female cast. Maybe it's because of this, or the high fantasy elements, that I like Type Moon over shows like Love Hina and Chobits. I will also agree that the music for this series is awesome and Kawasumi (Lafiel) playing Saber is a perfect match.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:17 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
SO do you know if the manga and the anime are on a different course, because I've read the first two volumes of the manga so far.

Fate and Unlimited Blade Works are fairly similar when they first begin, but begin to diverge around the point that they begin building up to their respective "midboss" characters. With Fate, it's Rider and Berserker, whereas Unlimited Blade Works's midboss is Caster. It's also around that time that spoiler[Archer begins to distance himself from Shirou, Saber, & Rin.]

Or at least that's how I remember it going.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
In response to an earlier post of yours:

Nagisa wrote:
Meaning somebody damn well better cough up the money for a manga license pronto. And somebody else better have plans to corner the US anime radio drama market.

I'm sure if they've been able to get Tsukihime over here as an English adaption they'll bring over the other big Type-Moon title. Just a matter of time, don't you think?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:06 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Just a matter of time, don't you think?

But...but I want it noooooooooooooooooow. Sad
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:14 am Reply with quote
This is why it's best to know Japanese at this time of your life, so you don't have to wait forever Wink But I feel your pain, man. I know how it is to just WAIT on stuff to come out. I so want to get Melty Blood, but it's going to take time before I can figure out how to get it over here, on top of setting up hardware so the game is compatible with my stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4