• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Rumbling Hearts and Grumbling Tummies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalia555

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:28 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
Unfotunatley, unlike the manga, the Black Cat anime goes downhill pretty fast. That's what you get for trying to cram a 20 volume manga series into 23 episodes of a TV series.

I've read the first 5 volumes of the manga and I"ve lost interest. But the anime seems to be quite a bit different from the manga. In the manga, Train doesn't have a boss. He and Sven are buddies, not rivals, and just take whatever bounties they can to make money. Eve (the blond haired girl on the cover in the review) gets rescued from some rich evil guy in the first volume of the manga, but doesn't seem to even get mentioned in the review. Unless she's become a kimono-clad bounty hunter, but I think that refers to someone else, which would be another huge difference from the manga.
Well the anime starts at a different point in the series then the manga. the first few episodes are not bad, but then it starts to get iffy. The fight scenes, the ones shown that is, are almost all greatly condensed, and they pick some of the more boring parts of the manga to animate instead of the interesting ones. For example, they animate the story with the dinosaur, instead of Train's fight with Creed on the top of the tower.

edit * fixed spelling

Last edited by animalia555 on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
How does that shelf manage to defy gravity and not fall apart?

animalia+ Hitokiri: I'm just wondering why Train is younger in the anime...

Anyway, I'm not sure I can watch Rayearth after this Jojo fan parody
of it.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:25 am Reply with quote
Wow...knowing that my shelf is even a quarter of that makes me feel majorly nerdish, especially considering the fact that most of these folks are staring in awe at what they see.

Did anyone else notice a few non-anime items on the shelf(s)?

Tenchi wrote:
If the snow in Denver half-melted and then froze over into ice the way it does in Eastern Canada, I doubt you could skate on it as it's never nice and even, just lumpy and broken up by footprints and tire tracks.
I know what you mean. Here in the west, after the great re-freezing, we get potholes up to 10 cm deep...and the sad part is, even with potholes like that, we still can't see the road. Albeit, winter wasn't that bad this year, but still, if this is life in Calgary, I'd hate to see Iqaluit...
Avacado Burger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
If bootlegged DBZ episodes from the early 90's (before you could get DBZ on tape) count on a shelf, then my buddy may have him beat. Even without the bootlegs, his collection of the early 90's animes is nothing to scoff at.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Well the anime starts at a different point in the series then the manga.

I suspected as much. I'm guessing the anime starts spoiler[before Train leaves the Organization and this bounty hunter is the girl frequently mentioned in the manga (Kyoko, was it?) as an important person to Train and apparently the reason he left the Organization.]

Quote:

I haven't seen the anime, but I would guess that the anime covers events from before the beginning of the manga (probably in the manga later as a flashback arc). Or its just Gonzo goofing around with the character designs.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:52 am Reply with quote
Damn, I see legitimate Sailor Moon DVDs...
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:33 am Reply with quote
Fate Stay Night Volume 1 : The Advent of The Magi

Damn, in the end, it was really worth it buying this title.

I paid almost 3,000 Philippine pesos (around 55-60 in American dollars) just to buy this thing from amazon.com. Then after waiting for 3 days (shipping time from USA to the Philippines), I had to pay DHL an additional fee of 2000 PESOS with my own monthly savings (damn customs).

After all that frustration, I decided that I won't let this ruin my day so I just popped in the DVD in my Pioneer region-free DVD player and..... wow!!!

This is one hell of an anime purchase. The picture quality is so clear (even on a cheap 480 resolution CRT TV). The level of detail is so astounding (especially when you look at Saber's lovely face on the TV screen). It's just plain awesome.

Aside from that, the English dub track was DAMN AWESOME. I can't even distinguish the voice quality difference between this and the Japanese audio track. Heck, there are select (or a few) times wherein the English dub WAS SLIGHTLY BETTER than the Japanese. One small scene shown that Rin Tohsaka (played by Mela Lee in the English dub) spoke better German when she tried to use her skill (using her left hand to fire dark energy balls ala Reigun-style) against "Berserker" (the servant of Iliya). The Japanese VA can't even complete the German phrase correctly. Just a small observation hehe.

Also notable voices for the English version include that of Archer (Liam O' Brien), Issei (played by veteran Lex Lang) and I'll probably include Ms. Fujimura (played by Julie Ann Taylor) since I think that it's the first time I've heard her taking on an energetic and assertive character role.

As for my top 3 favorite voices, those are female voices and one of them includes Sakura Matou (played by Sherry Lynn although you may not find her in the Ending Credits of DVD volume 1). I did a bit of comparing between her voice and the one of the Japanese (played by Noriko Shiyata) and I've found the English more-suited to my taste because the Japanese one tends to sound too high-pitch while the English one stays slightly (just slightly) lower. Nevertheless, both of them are still considered as *cutesy* so it doesn't really matter anyway as to which one is better.

My 2nd favorite would go to Ayako Mitsuzuri (played by newcomer Minx Lee). I definitely liked her voice. Her voice tone perfectly emulates the voice tone of the Japanese counterpart (which also sounds good). A voice that's pleasant to my ears but I'm surprised that she's only playing a minor role in this show. Still, it represents the classic example on how new talent can exceed one's expectations and this is something that nobody can underestimate.

And for my top favorite for this DVD volume 1, that would indeed go to Saber (played by Singer/Songwriter Kate Higgins). After hearing her voice in Ep.2, I was just wowed on how wonderful it sounded. Perfectly similar to the Japanese one in all aspects that I can think of. It is the first time I've ever heard her voice in anime so I don't know if she is capable of other voice tones (though the biography says that she has done voices for Bleach and Naruto). Nevertheless, I really think that this was the best voice in the show (personal opinion) and I hope to see (or hear) more or her in the next 5 volumes of the Fate Stay Night DVD collection.

Yup that's all I can say for now. I do hope that ANN would do a review on this one (possibly/hopefully within this month) since they would have a better perspective and have better credibility and that they are more critical in judging anime releases on DVD.

I hope to hear the ANN review of this DVD within this month Smile.
Faceman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:36 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
This is more of a logistics question, but remember how there are always links in the Releases webpage linking to the corresponding Shelf Life? Well, now since you briefly reviewed titles like Fate/stay night with the new Shelf Life format, how come there are no links in the Release page?

release#7503

I mean, there are supposed to be a link to the Shelf Life, right?

Oh snap, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I wonder if that can still be done with the new system...

I've noticed that about the entire new layout. The main page news articles don't seem to link to the encyclopedia entries about whatever it's mentioning. That was one of my favorite things of the old layout. Made it a lot easier to check out things, instead of navigating through the entire system.

Also, yay to find someone else saying "Oh snap." My new coworker thought I was strange when I started saying it at work as well.
NZbeedee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
Can't fault Geneon for releasing a Wynton Marsalis DVD. He's a damn fine trumpet player.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the encyclopedia linking is one of the few things I miss from the old layout. It was really nice to be able to look up the entry for an anime when reading a news story, particularly since I've only recently started to really keep up with titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
LantisEscudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I used to have an account here, but I've forgotten the username.

Wow, I'm surprised that my submission got picked for the first Shelf Obsessed. Thank you!

To respond to some of the comments I've seen:

Yes, a lot of money's gone into that shelf over the past seven years, but less than you'd think. RightStuf and Animeigo sales have been very good to me.

It stays up with difficulty. Removing things from the upper half is like playing Jenga at times, so I'm looking to replace the shelf with something physically larger.

Yes, there are a number of non-anime DVDs there as well (less than a tenth), and the bottom-right corner is games. Anyone interested in the full list can look here on DVDaficionado.

MKR was my first CLAMP title, and one of the first series I had on DVD, so it's still my favorite from them. Calling it the "hottest property" might be stretching a bit, given Sailor Moon, Slayers, and Marmalade Boy being around at the same time, but it was incredibly popular, given the amount of merchandise I've seen for it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So it was yours! Shocked

I knew that shelf of yours looked very familiar. Laughing
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Hn, nothing really of interest this week. Of course, Rumbling Hearts is the best out of the selection, I'd have to agree, but it's not really speaking for much when it amounts to little more than a ridiculous, badly written melodrama that you'd find on channel ten when watching a soap opera.

animalia555 wrote:
Unfotunatley, unlike the manga, the Black Cat anime goes downhill pretty fast. That's what you get for trying to cram a 20 volume manga series into 23 episodes of a TV series.

The manga isn't much better as it's pretty much generic as you can get. While it isn't as overblown as Hunter X Hunter is by how much the fans praise it, the manga follows countless clichés of the shounen genre, and the final arc is pretty much a rip-off of the last chapters in Rurouni Kenshin.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:

I haven't seen the anime, but I would guess that the anime covers events from before the beginning of the manga (probably in the manga later as a flashback arc). Or its just Gonzo goofing around with the character designs.

You pretty much answered it yourself. The anime takes the events in the manga and has them take place during what is the flashback in the manga (basically there is no real "time jump"). I don't know how faithful the anime is to the manga since I dropped it around episode eight, but they stuck to the early events chronologically well enough.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
Well the anime starts at a different point in the series then the manga.

I suspected as much. I'm guessing the anime starts spoiler[before Train leaves the Organization and this bounty hunter is the girl frequently mentioned in the manga (Kyoko, was it?) as an important person to Train and apparently the reason he left the Organization.]

Actually I think her name was spoiler[Saya]

Then again, I read Black Cat a year ago (I have to admit a large chunk of it)

I wish my anime collection was that large, haha I would go broke first.

I've already seen fate/stay night, and I found it to be an okay series. It had nice action, but I wanted to strangle Emiya every single time he appeared on the screen.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:00 am Reply with quote
Now that you mention it, I think you're right. I think spoiler[Kyoko was the fire girl] one of the only two things that kept me reading to volume 5, but even she and Eve weren't enough to keep me reading beyond that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3