• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dance in the Vampire Bund DVD/Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
This review is another example in excellence and shows why Theron is my favorite reviewer, since his candid approach to the issue lacked any personal opinion while being understanding enough to describe elements some of his readers will find offensive.

Because as we all know, the best feature of any reviewer should be a lack of personal opinions... Rolling Eyes A review is an opinion.

But I think I get what you mean: that he didn't instantly dismiss the series because of its blatant loli elements (every last piece of promotional art for this thing has had a naked or nearly-naked prepubescent girl in it, so don't kid yourself) and looked at its other features and found a lot of good in it. But this doesn't mean he "lacked any personal opinion," it means he "had an open mind going in." That is something you want in a reviewer.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Anyway, my issue with this show was that the writing was really stupid. I remember in the second episode in particular, spoiler[Mina has been built up as this super powerful vampire, but she ends up needing rescue from this super weak spider/vampire-hybrid thing? Why?]

I was never entirely sure if the writers were just making her vulnerable to give Akira something to do or if she was deliberately acting vulnerable to play up to Akira. I'd like to think the latter, but the probability that it is the former was one of the biggest factors in keeping me from rating the series higher; I thoroughly detest seeing otherwise-stronger characters (especially female characters) being made vulnerable just for the sake of allowing them to be rescued/protected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Key wrote:
Given some of the content, I can certainly understand why some VAs wouldn't want their real names associated with it.

It is not surprising your forgiveness can extend so far, but it's one I can not share. I find this practice uncomfortable, especially since I am prone to take a greater interest in a series for VAs I enjoy. Personally, I'd rather they not do the project at all rather than try to deploy a ridiculous escape avenue.

I'm going to stream an episode or two of this (or watch it all on Netflix, should it get there) just to see if this vampire tale is something I'm interested in. The last thing I want is a series riding on the coattails of the current vampire crap spewing out of Hollywood... again.

As for the "loli" debate, I've already dismissed the cancerous opinion having found most of those spreading it are the same who get upset at anime featuring little girls wearing swimsuits during a beach episode. This review is another example in excellence and shows why Theron is my favorite reviewer, since his candid approach to the issue lacked any personal opinion while being understanding enough to describe elements some of his readers will find offensive. It's not often people say it, but thank you for this, given how touchy the subject is around here.

Personally, I've no rush to see this one, but it's nice to know Theron put a "B" grade on it. That's a good sign I'll enjoy it once I do get around to it.

Now, for a complete question out of the blue: How do you pronounce "Theron"? This has been bugging me for well over a year now, and it's just time to ask.

honstely you should on funi..it's a really good show and I was even shocked by the ending... but If I didn't watch the show on the streaming site first i wouldn't have bought it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dawgstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:32 pm Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
Pretty sure Alpha LaGrange is an alias, and Carmen Smith probably sounds like Colleen since it probably is her. A lot of these actors don't want these shows attached to their names, for obvious reasons. Another of the actors is listed as "Vlad Imir," obvious giveaway more than the others.

It is a little odd what they will and won't put their names to. Colleen was the lead in Rin, for heaven's sake. Stephanie Young was in Rin, too, but is listed differently in Sekirei. I wonder what kinda standards they use.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Because as we all know, the best feature of any reviewer should be a lack of personal opinions... Rolling Eyes A review is an opinion.

So you reply with a comment displaying your inability to understand context?

Quote:
But I think I get what you mean: that he didn't instantly dismiss the series because of its blatant loli elements

This has nothing to do with dismissing the series, an option he does not have as a paid employee here. What I'm saying is he can form his opinion without the all-too-common bias thrown in...

Quote:
(every last piece of promotional art for this thing has had a naked or nearly-naked prepubescent girl in it, so don't kid yourself)

...a task you clearly cannot imitate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I liked the show enough to buy it - I certainly dug the visual slickness. Normally, I would be sort of looking forward to a second season, but after reading the first eight volumes of the manga and struggling to make my way through the ninth, I'm a bit dubious. Assuming a new season would stick somewhat to the manga, we'd have to contend with spoiler[a werewolf friend of Akira who looks like a chick but is a dude and worse - oh my God, so much worse - Akira's supposedly cute little brother shows up as well.] Plus, everybody just seems to act so much sillier in the manga.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:16 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
So you reply with a comment displaying your inability to understand context?

No, I'm replying to a comment that demonstrated the usual inability of forum-goers to not get that reviews are opinions. We want reviewers to have "personal opinions," and praising people for not having them makes no sense. Speaking of which...

Quote:
This has nothing to do with dismissing the series, an option he does not have as a paid employee here. What I'm saying is he can form his opinion without the all-too-common bias thrown in...

...bias is part of reviews. I'd accuse Theron of being overly biased towards fan service, which is why he's one of my least favorite reviewers. Knowing the bias of the reviewers is part of how you take the review, as absolutely true for you or with a sizable grain of salt.

Quote:
...a task you clearly cannot imitate.

I just said it has loli elements in its blatant display of prepubescent nudity, not that it was bad or that I think it automatically makes the series reprehensible. I've given series with loli elements a chance before and really liked them. And honestly, the main reason I didn't try this one (because I like vampire stories a lot) is not the loli elements but how deathly sick I am of Shinbo at this point and his constant reuse of the same visual bag of tricks over and over again, and I'm pretty sure I will not like it for that reason.

But yes, if you think this series doesn't have loli elements, you are kidding yourself. At the same time, there are series with some loli elements that are very good, and reviewers need to measure a series by all its elements, particularly story.
Veers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Pretty spot-on review. Queenly!Mina was definitely the highlight of the show, but for me her manufactured vulnerabilities (and that boring as hell first episode) were a dealbreaker and really pulled the story down. Normally I like SHAFT's stylistic direction, but I agree that the Shinbo treatment was overdone on this show; in particular framing shadows and facezooms felt overused--but the action scenes were pretty much all awesome. Worth a watch, but not a rewatch.
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Worth a watch, but not a rewatch.

Yeah, that's how I feel. Definitely a series I'm going to be selling off without qualms. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it that's for sure. Originally I was just going to watch it on HULU. (Free is always nice right?) However, when I went to watch it and saw a statement on HULU about it being "edited for american audiences," I thought.. Pfffffft.. I'm not going to watch anything edited. I went out and bought it. Someone will be super happy I'm sure, to see it back on the shelf used for dirt cheap! LOL. Razz
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
xScar wrote:
Pretty sure Alpha LaGrange is an alias, and Carmen Smith probably sounds like Colleen since probably is her. A lot of these actors don't want these shows attached to their names, for obvious reasons. Another of the actors is listed as "Vlad Imir," obvious giveaway more than the others.

I did consider that ("Alpha Lagrange" does sounds awfully fishy, doesn't it?), but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt in the review. Given some of the content, I can certainly understand why some VAs wouldn't want their real names associated with it.

Greg Ayres did say that some voice actors used aliases for this show. And he asked that people not call them out on it. He said they did it for a reason, and it's best to respect their wishes. I completely understand with a show like this...

In other news I pretty much agree with your review. You nailed it Theron (as you usually do). I really liked this show, but it's quite uh....loli-ish at times. And the creepiest thing of all was the relationship between the boy and the older high school girl. She's like 17-18 years old, how old is the boy? Still a great series, very edgy. And I love vampires. But just like the manga, Akira is a real bore. He's a little better here, but still not an interesting lead. Mina is the real star.

Oh and that first episode was AMAZING. A perfect way to start the show!! LOVE IT! Brilliant start.

Last edited by Prede on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Greg Ayres did say that some voice actors used aliases for this show. And he asked that people not call them out on it. He said they did it for a reason, and it's best to respect their wishes. I completely understand with a show like this...

I have no respect for unexplained reasons why it is okay to get paid for working on a series like this but not okay to attach your main name to.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

I have no respect for unexplained reasons why it is okay to get paid for working on a series like this but not okay to attach your main name to.

He explained that being attached to this show could cause problems for some, one example was a school teacher. If it became well known he/she was in this show, it would be hard to explain it to the higher ups. It is a very, uh, mature show. Also he said if everyone tries to post who is really in this, then you can bet on them never being in a show like this again.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Greg Ayers did say that some voice actors used aliases for this show. And he asked that people not call them out on it. He said they did it for a reason, and it's best to respect their wishes. I completely understand with a show like this...

that's if your implying Greg Ayers can actually act but that's just me being a dick, then again he is the guy that wants to bring over all the anime is really against torrenting/fan-subs... I find that to be a bit ironic.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote
There's nothing to explain. It's acting. Better yet it is just voice acting. I can bet those actors value their paychecks enough to work on whatever Funimation hands them be it RIN or Cat Planet Cuties. If those actors had the wherewithal to turn down projects that might upset the PTA then they would not have to bother with creating aliases.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm generally not a dub watcher, but I like the idea of moderately experienced, and occasionally talented voice actors being in this show more than having to hire pr0n stars as voice overs. They're used to using aliases and are already far removed from PTA member approval, so an ecchi show about vampires probably wouldn't phase them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6