• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Nineteen19

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if a VHS rip will show up online somewhere.

One can only hope it does and that someone decides to fansub it. It sounds like an interesting little movie.

Quote:
I hate writing about anime people have no chance of seeing; I feel like a tease.

It was disappointing to see that R6 rating, but I'm glad I'm at least aware of its existence. Maybe this will result in someone finding a copy and fansubbing it. I think this is one of those cases where it could be justified as there is no chance in hell this will ever get licensed.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't even find a catalog number for the LD.

You have one day left to contact a Japanese friend to bid it for just 800 Yen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:07 am Reply with quote
You are a tease! But I will continue to read your column Wink
Mr.Diction

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:16 am Reply with quote
Is it terrible that i check the rating BEFORE i read the segment, just so i don't get my hopes up. Sounds interesting though.
hikarichan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
I just searched some old fansub databases... if you knew how to look, you could've gotten a copy of this even at the height of the VHS fansub boom. So I bet there're more copies out there... I wouldn't be surprised if it pops up online sooner or later because of your article. Smile

As for me, I think I'm gonna go watch it now... Wink Well, after the guys're done with Raving Rabbids anyway. Anime smile + sweatdrop Thanks for the tip; I've really enjoyed your Buried Treasure articles thus far (Galactic Railroad was indeed a trip!)
Aristophanes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:03 am Reply with quote
The Challenge is out there fansubbers!!
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Great job, this was the first article to get me really excited.

Please do keep writing about the really obscure anime. I've known of the Nineteen19 OVA for a while have always wanted to see it.

In fact i think it's better to write about stuff that no one else knows because thats the stuff that truly needs exposing. Writing about the truly unknown just raises the importance of this column.

Check out the awesome Ninteen19 to this show is available on Youtube.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Incidentally, I and several of my friends rang in the new year by wearing 80s fashion accessories (I myself had on oversized mirrored shades a la Sylvester Stallone in Cobra) while listening to a cassette tape of Tarzan Boy on loop as we set off multicolored fireworks in a parking lot. It also involved Super Mario Brothers and the movie Gymkata. None of this was done by design or planned out in advance.

Point being, your nostalgia for the 80s as a theoretical concept is a shared one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurboWasis

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The OVA sounds really interesting. I'm a child of the 80's so I would love a chance to see it.

I found a copy of the VHS on Amazon Japan. You can't actually buy it directly from Amazon but there are several sellers offering the VHS.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this show sounds awesome! It's hard to believe they cram that much plot into a 45 minute OAV, but that's the beauty of those old OAVs. When I sit watching these lazily paced 13 episode shows that could have been a 4-episode OAV series, I sometimes start longing for the days of the late 80s/early 90s anime scene as well.

I'm very intrigued by this show, as it sounds like not only a good show but something right up my alley. In fact, for the first time in months, I hopped on the website of my old college's anime club (which I'm on the e-mail list for but no longer belong to and haven't been to a meeting for in like 4 years) to see if they had it in their tape library....only for that part of their site to be down! Oh, cruel fate, how you mock me! Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheHiredAsian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:
Great job, this was the first article to get me really excited.

Please do keep writing about the really obscure anime. I've known of the Nineteen19 OVA for a while have always wanted to see it.

In fact i think it's better to write about stuff that no one else knows because thats the stuff that truly needs exposing. Writing about the truly unknown just raises the importance of this column.

Check out the awesome Ninteen19 to this show is available on Youtube.

Seconded. There's so much old obscure stuff out there that needs exposure. I discovered Nineteen19 thanks to the intro on Youtube but never could find out anything else about it. Actually, there's a number of rather obscure intros on Youtube- Oishinbo, Dragonar, Bari Bari Densetsu, and others.

On a related note, for fans of manga, the Book Off at Shirokiya at Ala Moana Shopping center in Honolulu has a variety of interesting titles from the 80s, possibly even Nineteen19. If you're in Hawaii on vacation (or visiting family) and like 80s manga, make sure to have a box ready to ship stuff home in. You'll need it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
TheHiredAsian wrote:
Seconded. There's so much old obscure stuff out there that needs exposure. I discovered Nineteen19 thanks to the intro on Youtube but never could find out anything else about it. Actually, there's a number of rather obscure intros on Youtube- Oishinbo, Dragonar, Bari Bari Densetsu, and others.

You're right, it's become quite the treasure trove. I love Oishinbo, though I'm saving my stupid comedies for later. (I know it's not supposed to be a comedy, but whenever someone has food related superpowers it's a comedy in my book.) Dragonar has an amazing opening, but the show itself I found to be a little bland. Bari Bari Densetsu looks good.

Anyway, I'm glad people like reading about this stuff. Realize that I'm treading a thin line here between the half of ANN's readership that considers Escaflowne "old school" and the half that are grizzled old fanboys like myself. The former has never heard of Please Save My Earth and might need some coaxing to discover even some older domestic releases, while the latter probably orders R2 box sets fairly frequently. I'm trying to be fair to both sets of readers.

But I'm definitely going to do more like this. Very Happy Thanks for all the comments, guys.

BTW, there's a Book Off here in NYC that's similarly well-stocked with oldies.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I love To-y for 80's rock and relationships. This is another hard to find (a couple good friends of mine bought the LD) show and might also be suffering from music license problems. My friends fan-subbed this one about 20 years ago, although I don't think it made it's way to the digital age, and I will highly recommend it for anyone interested in 19.

TheHiredAsian wrote:

On a related note, for fans of manga, the Book Off at Shirokiya at Ala Moana Shopping center in Honolulu has a variety of interesting titles from the 80s, possibly even Nineteen19. If you're in Hawaii on vacation (or visiting family) and like 80s manga, make sure to have a box ready to ship stuff home in. You'll need it.

I make sure to visit Shirokiya every time I go to Oahu. They also have a nice selection of CDs and import video games. It has sadly been many years since I last went. The last time I managed to get to Hawaii (visiting relatives) I waited in line behind a bunch of kids to get my picture taken with Kikaider! Maybe I'll scan it and use it as my avatar.
roujin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
hmmm this anime seems right up my alley. Hopefully some good fansubbers will take an interest in bringing us this work.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I love To-y for 80's rock and relationships. This is another hard to find (a couple good friends of mine bought the LD) show and might also be suffering from music license problems. My friends fan-subbed this one about 20 years ago, although I don't think it made it's way to the digital age, and I will highly recommend it for anyone interested in 19.

To-y is another all-time favorite of mine. The only reason I haven't written about it yet is that I'm trying to space out the really hard-to-find stuff. I am insanely jealous of your friends ownership of the LD, but at least I have all the songs. (Took buying 3 CD's to do it!) The sheer number of really huge musicians on that soundtrack is likely what is dooming any possible reissue.

I have seen VHS rips of a To-y fansub in the wild, but I hope someone can pull together a remaster from the LD at some point. I hold little to no hope that this one ever gets reissued in any country.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3