• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Watch Afro Samurai Episode 1 Now

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is HOLY SH*T. That was freaking awesome. The second fight at the beginning spoiler[when he shattered the bullet and it killed the guys behind him.]

and later the weapons master spoiler[had a rapid fire crossbow/grenade launcher!!!! plus the monks RPG backpack.]

spoiler[All the people that we're gonna get to see take on Afro seem scary, and that chick with the old guy is HOT]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Praetorius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I am liking this, so far. The animation is really good, too. I liked when he split the bullet, also. Very Happy
LuzAzul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. The animation is very nice and Ron Perlman is in it, and that's an automatic plus for me.

Last edited by LuzAzul on Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Necrontry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
It looks interesting. If I have time I will probably watch it on Spike. Did they ever say how many episodes are being made?

Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
The second fight at the beginning spoiler[when he shattered the bullet and it killed the guys behind him.]

and later the weapons master spoiler[had a rapid fire crossbow/grenade launcher!!!! plus the monks RPG backpack.]

Definitly agree the fight scenes are pretty damn good. Hopefully it won't be all the show was about.

Personally my favorite character is the comic relief side kick. He talks and does nothing, but his commentary is, all be it cliche, but funny.
CGord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Necrontry wrote:
It looks interesting. If I have time I will probably watch it on Spike. Did they ever say how many episodes are being made?

5?
Riyousha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
After watching the episode, I have to say. IT WAS TEH BOMB! And yes the bullet part was so amazing. I give it two thumbs up. It was very excellent. Cool

Oh yeah. And a strange thing I noticed from that streaming episode was that there was a trailer for a movie called Norbit (starring Eddie Murphy). That trailer made me LOL, though. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zutto

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
sounds awesome to me...I got to check it out. Oh, wow the show is rated "M". If anyone has seen it before, are there any sex or nude in it?
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote
It was like Samurai Champloo, but not good like Samurai Champloo. If I can keep streaming the episodes, I'll watch it through to the end, since there are only five of them, but I'm not going to stay up until 11:30 every Thursday night to watch this.

Basically, it was a bit too American for me, and more or less seemed to only be about mindless violence (in that there was hardly any explanation).

Besides all that, what's the full story behind this show, anyway?
coffee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

Besides all that, what's the full story behind this show, anyway?

Why don't you just check the encyclopedia? anime#5275

And my thoughts on this series are "Is there anything Sammy J can't do?"
I'm interested in the story somewhat, if they stream the rest for free I'll watch them, but I don't think I'd buy the DVD(s) for this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
icepick314

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:37 pm Reply with quote
AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

i can't watch it because I'm in Japan!!!!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
God Gundam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Damn, this show is just as gory as Gantz, and it's airing on basic cable. Albeit late night cable, but still.

One thing I want to clarify - in the interview with Samuel, he says that the story is in a post-apocalytic age. I guess that's why the characters have cell phones and electronic binoculaurs and stuff - it's the future.

And was that Samuel as the comic relief sidekick? Kinda strange that they'd have him play two characters who work together, but whatever. Maybe we'll get a "I've had it with these motherfuckin' samurai in this motherfuckin' land!" or something. Laughing

This show is okay. I agree about streaming the rest of the episodes; I don't think the show's good enough to stay up late for, and I sure as hell ain't buying the DVDs.
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:42 am Reply with quote
Really cool to watch, but a little bit confusing and it seems like it's rushing into things very fast. I think it's going to be a standard fighting anime with a simple revenge plot. One thing I noticed with this anime is that the sound is just as good as the animation. The animation is already Samurai Champloo with OVA quality animation, since it is pretty much an OVA, but the sound is also extremely well done. Very cool to listen to/watch, but I'm having trouble getting into the plot or characters. The sidekick was funny too even though I have no clue who he is or where he came from. More character back-story would be nice.
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Well they do need to make it a whole lot of flash and not let anything pesky like a story get in the way so people will watch the show and
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
i wonder why they streamed the epsidoe before the premire...i could understand if they did it after but before...? it seems odd.

i'll just wait and watch it on tv
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Yukionna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDD number 2!! LMAO and he's African American too Haha *ahem* can i ask, how can you be a samurai and be african american? this show seems really retarded and a sowrd cant just slice absolutely everything, Like, Come on!
-still cant get over the number 2 thing- xDD
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4