• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackBassV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:30 am Reply with quote
Arguments over musical tastes are pretty pointless. You'll either agree with the comments or hate the person that made them.

And you're right about R2 covers being better - If you include Europe (the UK to be specific). The US GiTS movie cover was a bit on the lame side, as was Appleseed. The UK versions are either the Japanese or based on the Japanese covers.

Okay, so a lot, if not most are the same as the US, especially ADV (love the flip side of Azumanga).

I read the first few Shoujo Beat, and dumped it, because the stories didn't hold interest even then - except Nana. IT looked like they had already decided that their demographic was pink and cute, rather than a varied and sophisticated group of readers.

JBV^_^
Killer 7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:50 am Reply with quote
Cat on a grill..yummy Twisted Evil
kidchyron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:58 am Reply with quote
Zac said a couple things in the latest column that rang bells in my brain, and I'm figuring this is the place to release the thoughts...

Quote:
I don't know what it is about this squabble (Kajiura vs. Kanno) that gets people so up in arms, but I've seen people nearly come to blows over this one. As far as I know there isn't any real feud between the composers themselves, just hardcore fans who apparently live to fight about it.

Hey, that kind of thing is really nothing new. In Austria back in the 1870s and 1880s, fans of Johannes Brahms and fans of Richard Wagner regularly (by most accounts) got into fistfights over their rivalry, while the composers themselves were (again, by most accounts) respectful admirers of one another.

Quote:
...by the end of the third episode you'll wish they would stop playing that blasted watch theme.

I don't know if anyone anywhere has ever remarked on this, but that watch theme from Noir bears some suspicious similarities to "June," from the piano suite "The Seasons" by Tchaikovsky. I'm not accusing Kajiura-san of anything, just wondering out loud... Wink

Quote:
...to my knowledge, there have never been anime-related "light novels" written by Americans or published in English first.

Back when Tokyopop was called Mixx or Chix or whatever, didn't they put out a handful of short Sailor Moon novels written by Americans? Or were those ports of Japanese novels?
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:07 am Reply with quote
Royal Devil wrote:
Quote:
That picture of those anime fans surrounded by moe merchandise, hugging those creepy body pillows... those guys set themselves up for ridicule by taking that photo in the first place. I mean, it's a Japanese photo, so who knows - maybe they're considered heroes among otaku there, but here? That stuff doesn't fly. Even the anime community here will make fun of you for stuff like that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/levito/Forum/losers.jpg

That one gets me everytime. Laughing

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it. Although I will give the owner of the room props for one thing, it looks like just about every poster on the right side of the room (well, left from the perspective of the people being photographed, I suppose) is Sailor Moon related. And I like Sailor Moon. Yeah, no real relevance, but at least they had nice posters. The body pillows were kind of ugly though.

As for the rant, I'm rather glad to see it. I've been pondering a Shojo Beat subscription, as I am a fan of NANA. However, I've been put off by the random changing out of series that people seemed to like, and the fairly recent article about intended changes (perhaps it was just a post on the forum rather than an article though...) Yes, there are many girls and women who are interested in fashion. However, there is an abundant amount of magazines targeting pre-teens, teens, young women, and older women that feature this focus. Perhaps a manga magazine should focus just on the manga and related information.

But, there had to have been some research done before they made these changes. I would assume they're hoping to reach past those just wanting the manga to women and girls that haven't really discovered manga, but are always looking for the next thing in fashion magazines and the like. While I don't personally like the changes, I can't really blame them for wanting to broaden their fanbase. I just don't have to like it.

Edit: Oh yes, and I prefer Kajiura Yuki. Who cares if the songs are similar? Matchbox Twenty gets away with, why should Kajiura? I'm really just not as fond of Kanno's background music. Some of the stuff with vocals I like, but the rest...meh. There's very little of Kajiura's work that I can recall truly disliking, and usually that's only because it doesn't sound as good without the show running over the top of it (namely, "Les Soldats" which kind of irritates me when I listen to it on the soundtrack, but I like in Noir itself). I don't really know what causes me to prefer one over the other. Neither composers' works really click in with my usual music (alternative rock/punk), so it really is just a latent preference somewhere within me that I can't seem to find a reason for.

Of course, when it comes down to it, I'd probably pick J.A. Seazer over either of them. I love the soundtrack for Utena.

Last edited by Mylene on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Jerseymilk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:14 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Key wrote:

Really, though, both are tops in the field. Can't think of another Japanese composer who as consistently churns out quality work as those two.

Susumu Hirasawa turns out mostly gold whenever he does Anime-related stuff (infact, stuff in general), and it's sort of like a male Kajiura, with Amigas and Thai ladyboys and stuff.

It's really great work which seems to fluxuate greatly between different works and I can't help but reccomend him (one of my favourites has to be the song he made for the Berserk PS2 game. It's called Sign. Get it wherever you can, and infact I think he offers songs and albums from his site, a few are samplers but quite a bit is available for download for a price. ).

It's always nice to see someone else besides me that is a fan of Hirasawa's stuff. His compositions for Millenium Actress were gorgeous. All his stuff is really interesting to hear, not just anime-related. And yes he does have free samples on his site. "Sign" is a very good song, (though I prefer "Ride the Blue Limbo" myself). So I second Steven's recommendation.

I'm sooooo glad someone else saw that in the Solty Rei cover. For weeks I've been thinking the same thing everytime I saw the banner ad whiz by on the cosplay.com site where it's also frequently advertised. I kept thinking I was crazy. >>

As to the issue of that fanboy picture. I remember when that first surfaced, I showed it to all my friends(these are all fellow geeky anime fans by the way), and we laughed our heads off, while simultaneously being a little creeped out. I'm sorry, but as Zac said, if you're going to take a pic of yourself in such a ridiculous and extreme manner, then post it on the internet, expect to be noticed and laughed at. I also think some fans need to lighten and learn to laugh at themselves once in a while. Think about it: We dedicate our funds, time, and interest to Japanese cartoons. There's nothing wrong with it of course, but I agree that it's naive not to expect close-mindedness or ridicule form other people.

As always, the kitty is cute.^^
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
Wow This weeks rant was the best one I ever read and the scary thing is about the rant was I thinking the same thing I remeber looking at an Issue of Shojo Beat And it looked like a total crap fest Stereotyping girls as bunch of boy crazy fashion addicted idiots* *Hell I find it stupid for one I am not even in to boys* so anyways I loved this weeks rant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
oh, speaking of light novels, didn't Pokemon have some small children's chapter books during the height of Pokemania? I'm pretty sure they were original to America. I wouldn't really recommend them, though, they seemed to just be novelisations of some of the more popular episodes.

Yes, they were summaries of episodes. My brother was a big collector of them for some reason.

I liked the rant, Shojo Beat as struck me recently as more of a fashion magazine. I'll just buy single volumes of Nana.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
As a male subscriber of Shojo Beat, I have to say I was definitely turned off by the change into being totally fashion focused. I despise the Beat Girl with a firey passion.

However, it's the manga that got me subscribing in the first place. I was never a fan of Godchild or Kaze Hikaru, though I never really gave the latter a chance. Godchild just didn't go anywhere, like the rest of the Count Cain series. Once Vampire Knight Started I had to subscribe. The series just had great artwork and a cool story (I was also a fan of that "Vampire High" show that ran many years back, so that had something to do with that too).

As for NANA, I didn't really get into it until I saw the live action movie. That made me realize how great the series truly is. The anime works well too, going at the pace of a chapter per episode. Now it's one of my favourite series.

But still, SB needs to shapen up. I don't mind the fashion articles since it is a girls magazine, but I'd rather there be other articles out there.
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"Backstage Prince" with a more meaty story, cease to assume that "Nana" is everyone's favorite piece in the magazine

i don't mind backstage prince actually, though it doesn't seem to go far.
the fashion articles aren't interesting personally but I'm sure someone must like them.
the beat girl look ugly IMO
as for Nana, the story's fine, just dislike the art, most people I've talked to that get the magazine dislike it too.
Vampire Knight is the main reason i even look at SB now.

Kanno's music for Wolf's Rain was awsome and Kajiura's .hack//sign was great so their both good- though i agree that they replay Kajiura's too much throught the series
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling I knew what Zac was hinting it when he made a point of presenting the cover image, but it really doesn't look that way to me. Her shadow clearly indicates that she's to the side of him. Oh well, whatever. I like the artwork.
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:11 am Reply with quote
Great, great rant. The Wyrd Sisters have summed up everything I dislike about Shojo Beat in a nutshell. I've been a subscriber from the very beginning, but each month it's getting harder to justify the expense to myself, I could be putting that money towards collected volumes of Nana and Kaze Hikaru instead.

For the moment, I'm hanging on, but if they make another unfortunate substitution on the order of 'Backstage Prince' I'm just going to cut my losses and go.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I was going to mention the Sailor Moon novels Tokyopop released, but I don't think those count as "light novels" since they're just novelizations of the TV series episodes. Are the FMA novels considered canon? As for the rant, people think all girls are into fashion and the like because that's just the way society has been conditioned to view them as. It's the same way why people assume that all boys are going to be into action films and sports. What I want to know is why doesn't anyone criticize Shonen Jump for featuring nothing but action series? Isn't that also continuing to feed this stereotypical image that all boys like nothing but action? If you're going to criticize one magazine for stereotyping a gender you should criticize the other for doing it just as much. Anyway, if you want Shojo Beat to stop stereotyping women, then stop buying the magazine. If more people stop buying the magazine, eventually they'll get the idea that people don't like what they're publishing. I do agree though that we need a new shoujo manga anthology that isn't so stereotyped and one that's more appealing to manga fans in general and not just girls because there are a lot of guys out there who like shoujo manga too but could care less about the latest fashion trends, but I think we need more manga anthologies in general.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Oronae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Are the FMA novels considered canon?

Somehow (Though I don't know whether they are or not officially) I don't think so. If you'll notice there's a huge discrepancy in how alchemy works between the manga and the first novel. Notice how the town's entire reason for trying to get the philosophers stone revolves around being able to create gold? Now remember what Ed did to fool Yogi in the manga. Oh, That's right! You don't need to have a philosopher's stone to transmute gold it's just illegal. It's this sort of massive continuity holes that make it hard to accept the novel as canon (Though it was used in the TV series[with the same mistakes included]).

Also, does anyone else think Shoujo Beat would be greatly improved if they serialized a re-translated right-to-left version of X/1999 in it?
the_windcaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Mylene about the Utena soundtracks... though while Seazer's duel choruses are certainly unique and I enjoy them alot, Shinkichi Mitsumune's background music for that show is simply amazing and wins out over any individual project that Kanno or Kajiura did in my eyes.

Outside of that, however, I really don't lean too much toward Kajiura or Kanno. I'd have to say Kanno is the better composer, as it's true that Kajiura's sound doesn't really vary. However, I do really like the sound that Kajiura has, so she usually wins out that way.
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I am in love with Yuki Kajiura but I agree that it would be foolish to say she has even remotely the same depth of styles that Yoko Kanno does. They are both my personal picks for best anime composers (I'm also pretty fond of Kenji Kawai and Taku Iwasaki), but on musical breadth, Kanno wins.

On the other hand, I find myself much more emotionally attached to Kajiura's stuff for whatever reasons, and the soundtrack for Petite Cossette is absolutely amazing. So while Kanno has greater variety, Kajiura works like "Akatsuki no Kuruma" and "I Talk to the Rain" are tracks I'll never get tired of.

Plus, I don't know if it's my imagination or not, but on the whole it seems like Kajiura's tracks require more familiarity with the series to get the full emotional impact than Kanno's tracks. I can see an outsider enjoying the Cowboy Bebop soundtracks more immediately than the Noir soundtracks. It could of course, be due to any other number of factors..any ideas?

Also, props to the people who mentioned the Utena soundtracks. Great stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7