• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I like both Kajiura and Kanno, because of the anime I've seen that have used their works, I've always enjoyed the music. I like Kanno's compositions better, though.

The reason for what sounds like crap in Shojo Beat is that Viz Media likes stereotypes, or at least that how it seems to me. Shonen Jump has gown down the tubes, too.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm out of the loop here. Are you talking about the American editions of SB and SJ, or just the magazines as originally written in Japan, that are going downhill? I've never read them, but I thought the American ones were basically straight-forward translations of the Japanese ones.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I'm out of the loop here. Are you talking about the American editions of SB and SJ, or just the magazines as originally written in Japan, that are going downhill? I've never read them, but I thought the American ones were basically straight-forward translations of the Japanese ones.

Well, there is no Shojo Beat in Japan so it would be impossible for them to be similar. Wink

Shonen Jump (U.S.) and the Japanese counterpart (which I think is actually Weekly Jump) are very different. The Japanese version is weekly, has 20 or so different series (one chapter per issue) and is at least twice the size of the U.S. version. I can't compare the non-manga content as I haven't read the Japanese version, but I don't think its much different in the sense that it is mostly just advertising.

PantsGoblin wrote:
Well geez, I thought I was perverted... I didn't even notice that thing about the Solty Rei cover/ad until Zac pointed it out. Guess I'm not quite as bad as I thought (probably am though, this must've been a fluke).

And I'm still one of the minority here that is for Kajiura, as mentioned in that thread in the music forum... Explained my reasons there, and they haven't changed.

Same here, on both counts (though I'm not sure what your reasons are). I'm quite fond of Yuki Kajiura's style, so I don't mind if a lot of them sound similar.

On a different note, ADV's idea of good cover art for Utawarerumono.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
For light novels I still hope tghat some day someone will translate the "True Tenchi Muyo Novels by Masaki Kajishima.

For the Kanno, Kajiura debate, I think that Kanno has has more range because she has been doiong it for much longer and I agree she has the ability to create a score that fits the story very well. Kajiura's trademark style, though similar and highly recognisable, are no less as good as Kanno's. Lets take into consideration if she wasn't as popular, do you think she would have been contracted to do a sound track as many times as she has in her rather shorter career? If you listen to the closing of Chrono Crusade, "Syonara Solitair" you wil soon find that she can also create quite stunning, and moving compositions way out of the ordinary.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Also, does anyone else think Shoujo Beat would be greatly improved if they serialized a re-translated right-to-left version of X/1999 in it?

I seem to remember the editor of Animerica Extra saying that Clamp didn't want to see X serialized in translation, or some such. Unfortunately, since it would be nice to see an unflipped version (although the level of gore in some chapters wouldn't really fit the tone of the rest of the magazine and would probably drive some readers away).
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Quote:
Yuki Kajiura or Yoko Kanno?!?

am I the only one here who doesn't know who either of these two are? The second name looks kind of familiar...Ghost in the Shell I think? I'll have to wiki both of these gals...

1) Yes, you are the only one who doesn't know - they're two of the biggest composers of anime musical scores.

Nope I had never heard of either and I am an anime fan veteran. I just don't pay attention to composers much, though having looked them up I now know I have heard them a lot. I am somewhat amazed that this would be such a debate in anime fandom though. Musical taste is way too subjective to debate.

Great Rant. As someone who recently got into manga I considered a subscription. But after buying one issue I nixed the idea completely. It's simply awful and they are clearly going for a much younger demographic then myself. Even considering the fact that it seems made for younger women and girls it still seems to be perpetuating a horrid stereotype. I wonder if they based their research on what Japanese girl's would like instead of American girls. Or maybe the younger set is a lot more vapid and empty-headed then I ever imagined.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quote
To prove I actually read the whole thread, here's responses to quotes from all over the thread!

Zalis116 wrote:

Speaking of suggestive poses, the Air Gear ad that I'm looking at on the left side of the page has a rather..."interesting" choice of angle on the female character.

Yeah, I hate this current skin because of that. I'm currently browsing ANN at work, and I have the window resized so that I can scroll to the right to hide that sidebar lest someone wander down this aisle of cubes and wonder what the heck kind of freaky site I'm looking at. ANN is generally a worksafe site, it'd be nice if their advertisements (Solty Rei excluded Razz ) would be worksafe as well.

aluria wrote:
As an Anime fan I do not care about the latest fashion and other things that have nothing to do with the manga contained within its pages.

Try being a male reader! The way I look at it, there's still more than enough manga in there to make it worth the $6, but I'd much prefer the articles that expanded understanding of the manga rather than things about fashion that I'm just going to skip.

Hagaren_Otaku726 wrote:

And yes, I join the group of people that wonder why the heck Baby and Me is in here

Umm...because it's good? Man, there's a lot of cold-hearted people around here that can't enjoy such a sweet all-ages comedy. The reference to shota in the rant made me cringe. Does anyone actually enjoy Baby & Me for that purpose? That's REALLY creepy....

JackBassV wrote:

Okay, so a lot, if not most are the same as the US, especially ADV (love the flip side of Azumanga).

Same here, although I also really like the uniformity of the stark white, single character covers, too. I haven't flipped my covers, but I've been tempted.

Mylene wrote:

But, there had to have been some research done before they made these changes. I would assume they're hoping to reach past those just wanting the manga to women and girls that haven't really discovered manga, but are always looking for the next thing in fashion magazines and the like. While I don't personally like the changes, I can't really blame them for wanting to broaden their fanbase. I just don't have to like it.

Shojo Beat has done a stunning amount of research into the demographic of the people who read the magazine...check out pages 8-10 of their media kit. Any changes they made were made with expanding the 'zine's core audience in mind, who I'm sure are mostly not the type to post on anime/manga messageboards.

Strephon wrote:

I seem to remember the editor of Animerica Extra saying that Clamp didn't want to see X serialized in translation, or some such.

Zuh? X/1999 was serialized in Animerica magazine for like 2 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

Well, there is no Shojo Beat in Japan so it would be impossible for them to be similar. Wink

Well, ya learn somethng new every day!

Embarassed
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
To prove I actually read the whole thread, here's responses to quotes from all over the thread!

Zalis116 wrote:

Speaking of suggestive poses, the Air Gear ad that I'm looking at on the left side of the page has a rather..."interesting" choice of angle on the female character.

Yeah, I hate this current skin because of that. I'm currently browsing ANN at work, and I have the window resized so that I can scroll to the right to hide that sidebar lest someone wander down this aisle of cubes and wonder what the heck kind of freaky site I'm looking at. ANN is generally a worksafe site, it'd be nice if their advertisements (Solty Rei excluded Razz ) would be worksafe as well.

Ugh, no kidding. The ads for one of the anime stores (I think it's Anime Nation) drive me nuts. I *really* don't need a topless bikini girl at the top of my screen while I'm on a news site, anime or otherwise. It's a bit frusterating that so many of the ads are completely forgetting that some of us are actually straight females, as well.
Quote:
JackBassV wrote:

Okay, so a lot, if not most are the same as the US, especially ADV (love the flip side of Azumanga).

Same here, although I also really like the uniformity of the stark white, single character covers, too. I haven't flipped my covers, but I've been tempted.

I flip my covers back and forth all the time, particularly with my Princess Tutu set. ...That's one of my own little quirks, though. (I sometimes get into a rut where I change my desktop wallpaper daily.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the first time I've completely read one of these rants. I have read Shojo Beat since it first started.

First of all Shojo Beat always seemed to lean towards younger girls. Perhaps now it has gotten worse, but it did not ever in my opinon "embody the range of interests of the female of the species" which sounds awkwardly put anyways.

I do fully agree about Godchild which I think was one of the best series in the SB lineup. I do also enjoy it's replacement Vampire Knight. I do not understand why anyone would find it difficult to read Vampire Knight in a seralized format. Is it just because it stays on cliffhangers at times? I actually find myself annoyed when an author makes a point at the beginning of every chapter to explain the main plot of the story. This story tends to do at times so it is not difficult to lose track of that.

I do not agree about Kaze Hikaru. It seemed quite rediculous and dull rather than informative to me most of the time. Backstage Prince is just a bad series replacing a bad series.

Baby and Me is a cute story and quite sentimental at times. I really do not understand why so many girls do not like this series. Oh, right I forgot... it's because most of the fans want to see topless male bishie. Which leads perfectly to Nana. Sure others as well as myself do not find it to be their favorite. But, this series is actually one of the most popular of the bunch if not the most.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I read that first question:

Quote:
Hey answerman, how come R1 packaging isn't as cool or good looking as R2 packaging? Every time I see a Japanese DVD it looks better than the Amerrican ones. Why don't the american companies just use the same artwork?

For some reason I get the feeling they might be talking about those cheap region zero bootlegs. Maybe I've just gotten paranoid because so many times I've heard people talk about 'Japanese DVDs' and how much better they are than Reigion 1, they turn out to be talking about bootlegs and don't even know it.

You're right in your reply though. When it comes to anime DVDs, American fans really don't have a leg to stand on. We actually are getting a good deal. Anime in Japan is price insanely high and they take advantage of their obessive fan audience. Kinda ties into that other question about the pillow case actually.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I prefer Kanno, because I have a very eclectic music taste, and she fits that. I also love Maaya Sakamoto, and Kanno composes most of her music. However, Joe Hisaishi is another one of my favorite anime composers. I'm obsessed with the Spirited Away soundtrack, and I love all of the other ones he's done for Miyazaki.

And I've bought some earlier SB, but since I only like Nana (though it's actually my least favorite Yazawa series) and Godchild, I stopped. Now I've seen they've gotten worse, and have removed Godchild, os I have no reason to buy it since I have the Nana graphic novels anyways. I've never been a fashion/makeup type-I don't wear makeup and my closet mostly consits of t-shirts, boy's pants, jeans, hoodies and long, Amish-like skirts. And I don't even try to match Razz

And that Solty Rei cover.....heheheheheheheheh. Me and my friend thought it was hilarious!
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Great Rant. As someone who recently got into manga I considered a subscription. But after buying one issue I nixed the idea completely. It's simply awful and they are clearly going for a much younger demographic then myself. Even considering the fact that it seems made for younger women and girls it still seems to be perpetuating a horrid stereotype. I wonder if they based their research on what Japanese girl's would like instead of American girls. Or maybe the younger set is a lot more vapid and empty-headed then I ever imagined.

It seems to me they're trying to appeal to modern American girls. It seems your understanding of these people put them at a much higher level than they really are, since you were surprised by the content of Shojo Beat.

Man, I hate that freaking girl right to the left of this text box! WTF are you thinking, ANN? I'm not going to watch that "FREE ep!!1!1" just because of that.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
Man, I hate that freaking girl right to the left of this text box! WTF are you thinking, ANN?

That's a typo, right? I think you mean "WTF are you thinking, ADV?" Wink I doubt ANN makes other companies' ads for them.

EDIT: Winky face added to point out I was making a funny. Not a particularly funny funny, but there you go....

Last edited by jgreen on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Man, I hate that freaking girl right to the left of this text box! WTF are you thinking, ANN?

That's a typo, right? I think you mean "WTF are you thinking, ADV?" I doubt ANN makes other companies' ads for them.

I think he's blaming ANN for putting the ad up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7