• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Coyote Ragtime Show DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:50 am Reply with quote
I thought the first episode was complete dog-crap, but I was actually thinking about giving this a second chance since I have a softspot for idiotic action stories. Not so much after reading your comparison of the latter episodes...
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote
Hahahaha.

When I saw advertisements for this show, I asked Yotsuba what it thought of CRS; ironically, I got unanimous concensus that the show was outrageously terrible. Now, if a legion of savage, bitter, divisive Anonymous could agree on something like this...dare I say more?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
I had a feeling, as soon as I saw the first episode, that this show wasn't exactly....aiming for my demographic. This review basically confirmed that. Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saviour Atrhun Zala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
It wasn't as good as I thought so I got bored after the first episode. It's not as funny as Azumanga Daioh that's for sure.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:16 am Reply with quote
Doesn't sound like a deep or well developed anime, but I think I'll probably still pick it up. I enjoyed the first episode for what it was and the anime looks like it could be a good anime, although not a great or amazing one and frankly my anime collection could use a few more quick more dumbed down series that I can just throw in for entertainment on a boring night. If it was a long series I'd probably pass, but since it's short the investment is small so I can justify the cost.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:

When I saw advertisements for this show, I asked Yotsuba what it thought of CRS; ironically, I got unanimous concensus that the show was outrageously terrible. Now, if a legion of savage, bitter, divisive Anonymous could agree on something like this...dare I say more?

You asked the "EVERYTHING SUCKS RRARRRGGGHHH" crowd what they thought of a show and they replied "IT SUCKS RRRARRRGGGHH" and somehow that "opinion" is worth something to you?

I'm not defending the show - I haven't seen it - but why in the world would you put any faith in what a mass of angry anonymous internet teens have to say?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
I enjoyed the first episode for what it was and the anime looks like it could be a good anime

If the rest of the series was anything like the first episode, I would have filed it under "guilty pleasure" instead of "snore fest". The first episode is easily the best episode (unless the last two were of a similar nature as I never saw the last two episodes and have no desire to do so) and none of the others are nearly as entertaining.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, seeing as how I have nothing against slower paced shows I'm not to worried about it. If I wanted a guilty pleasure action series I'd go for One Piece or Naruto or one of the many other shonen series out there that could fill that role. I'm really not expecting anything spectactular or impressive and if it were a longer series I'd probably skip past it. But really, it's just 13 episodes and the premise does interest me to some degree and while some say it sucks others liked it so I'm willing to give it a go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm not defending the show - I haven't seen it - but why in the world would you put any faith in what a mass of angry anonymous internet teens have to say?

Very true, but don't you have to think that if a lot of people don't like then perhaps there more to it. But if it was an angry internet mob then you do have to be little less trusting. Personally I saw the first episode when it was all over ANN and I liked it. That said after reading the review, I am probably going to just rent this instead of buying it, but we'll see after I get a chance to view it. Different strokes for different folks right.....
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I personally like Coyote Ragtime Show. It was one of my favorite action shows to come along last year. Good, fluffy action fun. Yeah, cliches abound, but nothing wrong with a cliche done well. Expecting masterful depth out of everything you watch is kind of laughable. The show is for entertainment, and does what it does well.

Plus, can you really deny that Swamp's intro is one of the best character introductions ever?

As for the reviewer's take on the GigaBanks episode, I take it you also hated the Ocean's Eleven movies for the same reason?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You asked the "EVERYTHING SUCKS RRARRRGGGHHH" crowd what they thought of a show and they replied "IT SUCKS RRRARRRGGGHH" and somehow that "opinion" is worth something to you?

Well, thing is, over there somebody will always step up to say a show was good or decent, or more often than not the general opinion of a show will be split 50-50 and the thread about it will melt into infighting between trolls and trollier trolls. For 4chan to unanimously agree—in all complete seriousness—that something sucks is a freakishly rare occurrence even for them.

4chan isn't a good place to get a specific, definitive 'yay' or 'nay' on a show, but little moments like this are rather interesting to note (especially considering that everywhere else I've checked with the exception of this forum has similarly stamped the show as "abysmal" with an absolute lack of dissention). Sometimes even idiots like 4channers can make a statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CGord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I watched the 1st episode. Wasn't good, wasn't bad. Having your badass named "Mister" is pretty anticlimactic. Good graphics.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
For 4chan to unanimously agree—in all complete seriousness—that something sucks is a freakishly rare occurrence even for them.

If memory serves me correct, the entire weapons board (/k/) actually DISOWNED the series in favor of Black Lagoon.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the series. I basically passed this one up but now I might want to take a look just out of interest. But it will be the last thing on my list of things to do.

From what I read of the plot line (based on that inteview that was posted awhile back) it sounds like, 'Treasure Island'. I'm surprised no one mentioned this. And that premise has already been done. 'Outlaw Star' did it and did it well in a futuristic setting when compared to 'Treasure Planet' (there was a comparison review done on this some years ago). But I think they might have been trying too much on it and some things might have not been tied up in fans eyes.

Think about it. A guy name 'Coyote' knows a little secret and everyone is out to get him and his best friend's daughter because of something they know about. Sound familiar? And he's an outlaw but chances are he's looking sort of the surrogate father figure.

I'm sure the series will have more going for it but seems most like it because it's a girls and guns show with action and violence and very little plot. Which is not such a bad thing. After all everyone's got to have their "guilty pleasures" as well as their interests.

As for me I'll check it out. Either I'll like it or I won't.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm sure the series will have more going for it but seems most like it because it's a girls and guns show with action and violence and very little plot. Which is not such a bad thing. After all everyone's got to have their "guilty pleasures" as well as their interests.

Well, it had the 12 sisters going for it, but they don't do much after the first episode or two.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2