• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Death Note Anime for Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
If they're wanting to release each episode "soon after it airs in Japan," then they better get crackin' and quick. They're about fourteen or so weeks behind and the series is already more than a third of the way finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of in the same ship as The Xenos, as series/albums that I really, REALLY like I prefer to have optical media copies of. Hard drives can be flaky and delete buttons can be pressed, y'know.

However, I'm insanely curious to see how this plays out. If something like this goes over well (i.e. a sub-only, downloadable version), then we're about to enter a whole new world. Props to Viz for having the stones to give it a try. Let's support 'em, yeah?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
you see? THIS is what they should be doing.

bravo Viz, i hope other companies follow their example. now just put them at a reasonable cost.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I know this is obnoxious and predictable for me to bring this up, but is it possible for ANN to confirm whether or not these downloads will be made available in Canada?
TheKurodaVagrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I object to this.

Several of my friends and I have been following the series religiously since the show began (I read the manga before the show and was hooked to that, too). I find it particularly disgusting that Viz has picked up the show midway through. This is essentially extortion; thousands if not millions of fans who have been enjoying the show through fansubs have been grabbed because of the intense, gripping, thrill-a-minute nature of the show. And now we are nearing the climax, and we have been cut off and have to pay to see the rest of the series. There will likely be no other means to see the rest if Viz keeps a close eye out for dissenters.

This situation just reeks. They have a dedicated audience worldwide and they are going to use our addiction to fill their pockets. Smart business tactic, but it's not in the best interests of the consumer. In fact, it seems typical of big businesses to do this.

There are people out there who see this show as a reason to live. That's how hooked people are to this.

On top of that, this will likely be pricey for the consumer, as all licensed anime is for no fair reason. In addition, I hate paying for intangible objects. Especially data held on a known-to-be-lossy and delicate medium.

I would not have as large a problem with this if Viz grabbed it at the first episode.

If there is a serious petition to sign against this, I will sign it.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:38 pm Reply with quote
TheKurodaVagrant wrote:
Personally, I object to this.

Several of my friends and I have been following the series religiously since the show began (I read the manga before the show and was hooked to that, too). I find it particularly disgusting that Viz has picked up the show midway through. This is essentially extortion; thousands if not millions of fans who have been enjoying the show through fansubs have been grabbed because of the intense, gripping, thrill-a-minute nature of the show. And now we are nearing the climax, and we have been cut off and have to pay to see the rest of the series. There will likely be no other means to see the rest if Viz keeps a close eye out for dissenters.

This situation just reeks. They have a dedicated audience worldwide and they are going to use our addiction to fill their pockets. Smart business tactic, but it's not in the best interests of the consumer. In fact, it seems typical of big businesses to do this.

There are people out there who see this show as a reason to live. That's how hooked people are to this.

On top of that, this will likely be pricey for the consumer, as all licensed anime is for no fair reason. In addition, I hate paying for intangible objects. Especially data held on a known-to-be-lossy and delicate medium.

I would not have as large a problem with this if Viz grabbed it at the first episode.

If there is a serious petition to sign against this, I will sign it.

i'm pro-fansub and all, but this is just whining. you're getting subs by PROFESSIONALS right as they come out. how many fansub groups can say this?
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i'm pro-fansub and all, but this is just whining. you're getting subs by PROFESSIONALS right as they come out. how many fansub groups can say this?

And that is exactly why I think that Viz is doing this for the fans, and not just to fill their wallets. I mean, come on man! It's just a measly $2! Can you afford $2!

Anyways, I never meant to be so sappy with my last post, It's just that I think that Viz does more for the fans than they do for themselves, and I think that's the right attitude is all.
TheKurodaVagrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Yes, but fansubs are free, and they also care to include cultural micro-lessons where there are gaps. Most fansubs I've seen actually are better than the professional ones because of things like timing and even basic grammar and spelling, along with the aforementioned notes.

On top of that, I'm a near-broke college student. We don't even know the price yet, and as it has been mentioned, some pay-per-download services can cost $5.00 per episode. This isn't iTunes, you know.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:04 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
v1cious wrote:

And that is exactly why I think that Viz is doing this for the fans, and not just to fill their wallets. I mean, come on man! It's just a measly $2! Can you afford $2!

is that 2 dollars confirmed? cause if so, no one has any reason to complain about this, other than greed.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh get real you whining little pu%%$y. I'm a broke romanin student and I would gladly pay 5$ per episode for a show I love and would get legaly if I could. All this "i'm aginst it" thing is just whiny little brats who are upset at a company who is protecting THEIR PROPERTY, and in doing so all t\you little brats won't be able to get you free fansubs. Here in Romania 5$ is 15 RON, and with 15 RON you can buy a Mc'Donnald meniu. So all i would be giving us is a lunch at MC, and I would get an episode of Death Note.....seems fair to me.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Oh please. I was watching the fansubs as well (and I'm also a poor college student), but I think this is a fine idea. Maybe what's in the "best interests of the consumer" is to give away things free, but in the real world people need to eat, and food costs money. It's not as if the people at Viz are Scroodge McDuck, swimming in their vaults full of cash.

While I'm not going to download-to-buy (I agree with others, I want hard copies!) download-to-rent sounds like a great way to keep up with a series as Japan gets them, with professional subtitles. (I do like the cultural notes that fansubbers do, but I'd rather lose those and keep away from the random swearing fansubs tend to have as well.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TheKurodaVagrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Okay, fine, it's nice that they aren't just ripping it out of the fansubber's hands and making the rest of us wait for the series to come out dubbed, but I still think it's a pisser to jump in and claim it in the middle of the series. The same thing happened to School Rumble 2 (with the exception of pay-per-download) and that left me pissed and bitter.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I think what you have to realize is that the show doesn't belong to fansubbers. It belongs to the people who made it in Japan. If they want to agree to let Viz offer it for download in the middle of the series, then it's their right to do it. *shrugs*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
So even if they are $5, that's still not a whole lot! I am a poor collage student too, and I can tell you, $5 is REALLY not a whole lot!

I am a crazy fansub watcher as well, and I do agree with you on why they are so wonderful, but that still doesn't change the fact that they are illegal. Even though I don't care that they are illegal and still download them for various reasons, they still are. Thing is, I watch them because they are faster, and not because they are free! And if I can download them for a measly $5 legally with the series at the same point as the fansubs, why download fansubs? (Because they are free doesn't count.)

That's why I think this is a great move by Viz. They are the first, and hopefully not the last, licensing company to do something like this, and for their fans nonetheless! On the other hand, from my point of view, if you'd rather download the fansubs, go ahead! Just make sure you support this series you love so much by paying for it at the same time.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Meh, actually, $5 is kind of a lot. I mean, it's about the same price you'd pay for a DVD, but with a DVD you get an actual, physical object that you can watch on anything with a DVD player, plus you have both subs and dubs, extras, cover art to drool at, and sometimes some nice inserts in the DVD box. $5 really is too much.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7