• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Death Note Anime for Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm concerned most about video quality.

If the quality is worse in any way than the fansubs, I'm not forking over a penny for this.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Quote:
the fact that they do everything in their power to make sure they give us a true to the original

In anime, perhaps. They are notorious for editing their manga quite frequently, and often it makes little sense. What point is their in editing nudity in volume 20, when there was already worse six volumes earlier?

Quote:
very well done dub to pleas the FANS

A lot of the dub aspect is subjective. The Bleach dub is a mixed bag, IMO, from the portions I've seen. While the Full Moon dub wasn't too bad (I don't remember much of what I saw nearly a year ago), there is no signs & songs only subtitle track, meaning dub viewers won't know what the heck is being sung or what signs say unless they turn the subtitles on. It seems they used to not even bother subtitling songs at all, and that was a big concern among us Full Moon fans before the first volume came out. That is NOT a "well done dub" and that, along with a quarterly release, certainly does not "please the fans".

People make mistakes, no one is perfect. As inconviniant as it is that they made those mistakes, they STILL at least tried. It doesn't necesseraly mean that they did a crapy job, just not as good as they could have, but still good enough. And don't blame them for the VERY few edits they made to Naruto (including Opening and Closing credits), that was Toonami, NOT Viz.

As far as the manga edits go, sure, if they are going to edit nudity, they might as well edit all of the nudity, but do you really need your precious little nudity so much? Same goes for their FMA edit. I mean, so what if he was tied to a stone tablit instead of a cross!? He was tied to something, and that's all that matters!!!!!

The point is, they don't really need to be 100% perfect at what they do to please the fans, they just need to try to be, and as far as I can tell, they do.

Also note that if they really didn't care, Toonami Jetstream wouldn't be free.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, this is the first time I've ever heard about legal downloads, guess I shouldn't limit my world to ANN. Though I can see some people complaining about this, especially if you're a high school freshman who doesn't have a credit card to get these with. $2 an episode is not that bad though. In fact, you'd be paying less than to buy the DVD at that price. If it's $5 though, you might as well just get the DVD when it comes out (whenever that may be).
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:

As far as the manga edits go, sure, if they are going to edit nudity, they might as well edit all of the nudity, but do you really need your precious little nudity so much?

If it was there originally, then yes. Otherwise, you get the Amazing Nippless Woman. She was still nude, she just didn't have any nipples and it just looked bizarre. It also gives me concerns about upcoming material and I'm a bit worried they may change something else.

Quote:
Same goes for their FMA edit. I mean, so what if he was tied to a stone tablit instead of a cross!? He was tied to something, and that's all that matters!!!!!

4kids tried with One Piece too. I guess that's all that matters, as long as they give it to us. Rolling Eyes

This is getting off-topic, and I'm not going to post anymore on Viz's manga editing. The point is they do it, and it doesn't make the fans happy. That's why your statement was so laughable.

Quote:
The point is, they don't really need to be 100% perfect at what they do to please the fans, they just need to try to be, and as far as I can tell, they do.

It is laughable to suggest people be satisfied with sub-par products just because "they tried". We aren't paying for them to "try" we are paying for them to release a quality product.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, I probably would rather buy the DVDs or watch it on TV than pay for it online, and I probably would rather watch the fansubs at the same time as the other two, but I still think that Viz is at least trying to find a way to please the fans by doing something like this.

They have the right idea, but if they could find a way to stream for free for a limited time like they do with Toonami Jetstream, that would defenetaly be a lot better. Thing is, they probably couldn't find a way or couldn't get permission to do it, so they had to charge money for it.

Just remember, we still don't know the cost of the episodes yet, so don't be too quick to mathematically determine what would be cheaper.
kolibri

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I mentioned this in the other thread that got abandoned when this one mystically appeared Rolling Eyes but it's something that hasn't really been brought up - and that's DRM (= digital rights management for those not in the know).

Let's face it, there's gonna be some - and we don't even know at this point what kind of technology we're going to be looking at. Is it going to be streaming (limited to broadband users) or is there some kind of downloadable file? If so, what kind of DRM it's going to have? Can I burn it onto a CD/DVD and play it on my DVD player? Can I only watch it on my computer, and if so are there going to be limitations on operating systems - Windows only, perhaps? If I buy it, how many times can I download it? How many computers can I play it on? Can I make backup copies of it? Can I print nice covers for it? Can I leave is as inheritance for my kids?

I very much believe in video-on-demand and this is a great step towards getting what we've been whining for forever, but it all depends on how well Viz will handle the issues involved (mainly cost and technology). Death Note is going to be a guinea pig, and it's not going to be perfect, probably far from it. But downloads is going to be the future of TV, and this is very exciting news.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:35 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

[

4kids tried with One Piece too. I guess that's all that matters, as long as they give it to us. Rolling Eyes

This is getting off-topic, and I'm not going to post anymore on Viz's manga editing. The point is they do it, and it doesn't make the fans happy. That's why your statement was so laughable.

Quote:

It is laughable to suggest people be satisfied with sub-par products just because "they tried". We aren't paying for them to "try" we are paying for them to release a quality product.

Okay, I agree, this is off topic, and I am sorry I even started this stupid discussion in the first place.

This will be the last thing I will ever say on the matter:

Don't you dare compare Viz with 4kids, okay! 4kids messed around with things like story, music, and charicters to present the series the way THEY wanted and not the way THE FANS wanted. They didn't even TRY to please the fans.

Viz only edited a little content, and even though it was unessacary, it STILL had nothing to do with anything! So why make such a big fuss!?

That's it! No more on the subject! Once again, I apologize.
energydan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I was kinda hoping that another company would have gotten Death Note. Viz isn't bad, but I don't like their DVD releases. I'd rather see someone release it who will do a nice Limited Edition release as well as the standard DVDs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yaay! Ouran is still free as a bird! FUNimation better not screw up now, lest Bandai, Geneon, or ADV summon the funds to bag it.
Pake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm in favor of them doing this, as I love to follow series as they air and later on purchase the DVDs depending on how the series ends. The only issues I have are concerning the price and the quality. I'd LOVE for them to do the smart, fan-friendly move of making the quality a bit better than what the fansubbers are doing, while also creating a rebate system like someone mentioned on page one. If we bought the subbed versions for $2 online, they have the ability to track them and then allow us to print off $2 rebates for each episode purchased (so 4 episodes would give us a nice $8 rebate). In the end, they would still turn a profit, plus a bit from the interest they would be able to collect from the online purchases.
TsubasaSeraphina

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:

This will be the last thing I will ever say on the matter:

Don't you dare compare Viz with 4kids, okay! 4kids messed around with things like story, music, and charicters to present the series the way THEY wanted and not the way THE FANS wanted. They didn't even TRY to please the fans.

Viz only edited a little content, and even though it was unessacary, it STILL had nothing to do with anything! So why make such a big fuss!?

That's it! No more on the subject! Once again, I apologize.

I agree in some ways, just not the reasoning, we shouldn't compare VIZ and 4Kids becuase their target markets are totally different; VIZ is aimed at us teenage-to-early adult die-hard anime/manga fans (this is a generalization, of course) who know what we want and why. Think about it, do most of you go buy some random anime or manga for no apperant reason without already at least knowing what you're looking for. In my expirience, most people who purchase DVDs and mangas usually already have seen or read at least some, if not all of what their buying. Hell, I download tons of manga, read it, and then delete it, but I usually go and buy the stuff I really like. 4kids is... uhh... for kids -- kids who probably have little-to-no other knowledge about anime and may not even realize that what they're whating is even considered anime (not that you can really say it is, after 4kids is done butchering it....).

domino wrote:
Now THIS is more like it. Finally a company doing something smart to stand up against fansubs. This is exactly what I want from a company -- a subbed-only release that I can watch soon after it airs in Japan (while it's still "fresh" and open for discussion).

I don't think they are trying to make a stand against fansubs, just trying to get some extra caxh becuase they know not everyone will buy DVDs, in fact, the anime DVD market is very small-- there's only a handful of stores that even sell them; you can usually find them at DVD-stores, like Sam Goody and, of course, anime stores, but department stores and those watchmacallits like Walmart rarely carry any but the most popular adult-swim related stuff and maybe some Miyazaki. It's not like they really sell alot, even if you mention a series that's been lisenced in America (DVD only, not TV) to the average "anime fan", it's likely they won't know what it is.

Anyways, in alot of ways, fansubs are beneficial to companies like VIZ, and a number of them have made statements to say so. It allows them to gauge the popularity of a series, among other things...

TheKurodaVagrant wrote:
Yes, but with those episodes, you get physical media. This is just pure data, hopefully, unless they slip some sort of DRM software into it that auto-deletes after a certain number of views or a time period.

I didn't think of that, but DRM is relativley easy to trick if you know how.

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Meh, actually, $5 is kind of a lot. I mean, it's about the same price you'd pay for a DVD, but with a DVD you get an actual, physical object that you can watch on anything with a DVD player, plus you have both subs and dubs, extras, cover art to drool at, and sometimes some nice inserts in the DVD box. $5 really is too much.

I might pay $2-3 IF it's subbed, dubbing would kill it for me, but $ is too much for me. $2-3 adds up, but it probably won't feel like to much over a longer period of time. Anyways, people who think VIZ is just thinking of the fans, you're wrong, sorry, but that's the sad truth.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
Yaay! Ouran is still free as a bird! FUNimation better not screw up now, lest Bandai, Geneon, or ADV summon the funds to bag it.

I would be thrilled if someone other than Viz gets it. Geneon, Funi, ADV, Bandai... any will do. I suspect someone already has the license and its just a matter of who and when they will announce it. I suspect it will be Viz (sadly), but I would be happy to hear someone else announce it. I give even odds to the others except Bandai, which seems much less likely to go for this type of series.
subaru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:50 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
It sounds like a good plan to me, to allow people who are following the series as it is released in Japan to continue to do so. It will be interesting to see if it works out as well as is hoped.

If they are not charging for too much, it should work. Maybe, the end of fan-subbed-era is really coming.
smoochy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:47 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Hmm, this is the first time I've ever heard about legal downloads, guess I shouldn't limit my world to ANN. Though I can see some people complaining about this, especially if you're a high school freshman who doesn't have a credit card to get these with. $2 an episode is not that bad though. In fact, you'd be paying less than to buy the DVD at that price. If it's $5 though, you might as well just get the DVD when it comes out (whenever that may be).

ADV has done some, but they made the mistake you mentioned with charging 5$ an episode.

I think this'll help them get more to buy it, then people like myself who love owning something will buy the dvd.
Dark_Glaive

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If they DRM this, I'll be forced to continue to use fansubs. I refuse to pay for something I can't play on Linux.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7