• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Licenses Death Note Anime for Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IvoryBirch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Why Viz, though?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "ZOMGG!!!11!! BLEACH AND NARUTO WERE BTUCHED!1!11!!!!!!11!" children, I was just looking forward to buying a Death Note artbox, given the potential it would have. Viz generally handles their properties well, but the one thing about them that has ALWAYS irritated me in regards to their product managment is their inscessent (sp?) lack of artboxes.

This is a slight suprise to me though. As far as I know, Viz has never had a Madhouse title. Honestly, my money was on Geneon. Ah, well. Artbox aside, this is just as good.

As previously mentioned, it's a Shounen Jump title, so Viz was almost certain to get it. They'll also probably get Nana (another series by Madhouse), since the manga runs in Shojo Beat, but I'm mostly just speculating on that one.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
dojikyo wrote:
From what I've read the first disc of Full Moon didn't have subtitles for the songs at all and the Saikano's opening and ending weren't subtitled.

The problem is that there is only one subtitle track. They didn't dub the song on in the dub, so Mitsuki speaks English but sings in Japanese. However, because there is only one subtitle track, you have to either turn the subtitles on at the beginning or manually turn it on when the singing starts. This is crap because countless titles have had multiple subtitle tracks and many (if not a majority) of anime DVDs have one for just signs and text, which could just as easily be used for just the songs.

As for openings and endings, its not just Saikano. Viz used to not bother subtitling openings, endings or any songs at all.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
but the one thing about them that has ALWAYS irritated me in regards to their product managment is their inscessent (sp?) lack of artboxes.

Artboxes while they are a nice thing to have to hold your DVD, I rather have a good release with correct subtitles and extras then to have an artbox to hold my DVDs. If your really desperate you can always get Paul Champage to make you a custom artbox to hold your DVDs.

ICv2 wrote:
The Death Note DVDs, which have not yet been scheduled, will be the English dubbed version; the download will be the subtitled version.

I really hope that mean that the while the DVD will have the dubbed version that also there will be subtitles. Or else Viz is banking on the idea that casual fans don't care about Japanese language track, and is hoping the hardcore fans will support there Downloadable version of the show. I hope there is some clarification about this in the coming days, and that it's just that article doesn't get the information across straight.
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I want to throw my hat in with the rest of those who are supporting Viz in their decision to make this available via download. Death Note is the first series (other than Diebuster) that I downloaded as episodes were released, so if they were going to do this I'm glad they started with this series.

I for one hope they make loads of money off this. That way it'll encourage other companies to do the same with other high-profile series. Plus if this method does catch on, though there's no way it would kill fansubbing, I'm willing to bet it would curb it quite a bit.
kaos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I really hope that mean that the while the DVD will have the dubbed version that also there will be subtitles. Or else Viz is banking on the idea that casual fans don't care about Japanese language track, and is hoping the hardcore fans will support there Downloadable version of the show. I hope there is some clarification about this in the coming days, and that it's just that article doesn't get the information across straight.

I really can't think of any good reason why Viz wouldn't include the subtitles. Unless they are trying to make fans download it and buy the DVDs too. Then I would agree that they are trying to cash in and don't care about fans. But seriously, I can't believe they would pull that. Or maybe I just don't want to.
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

ICv2 wrote:
The Death Note DVDs, which have not yet been scheduled, will be the English dubbed version; the download will be the subtitled version.

The more I look at that sentence, the more it looks to me like one of those sentences that started out saying one thing and wound up saying something different after it was rewritten a few times (possibly to make the verb in the first half match the second). I don't think the intention was to imply that the DVDs would only contain the subbed version, but unfortunately that's how it comes across. I'd be more concerned if the line were an exact quote from a Viz rep, at any rate. (Anime on DVD is reporting it as "DVDs will contain an English language dub," which is more likely the intended version of the information.)

Look at it this way: It won't cost them much more to put the already-existing subtitles on the DVDs, and by doing so they greatly increase the range of people who've already paid for the downloads who might buy the discs as well. Therefore, it's the course of action most likely to bring in the most money, and therefore the action a successful company is most likely to take (even if that isn't explicitly their goal).
Kiriska

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:49 pm Reply with quote
http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/9891.html

They've got the DVD rights too, though no release date has been set on it yet.
MDMAX980

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:40 pm Reply with quote
kaos wrote:

I for one hope they make loads of money off this. That way it'll encourage other companies to do the same with other high-profile series. Plus if this method does catch on, though there's no way it would kill fansubbing, I'm willing to bet it would curb it quite a bit.

I'm pretty damn sure they will. Going on the $2 average per episode everyone's using, how many users do you think watch this show? going off of fansub.tv, there's 709 viewers. 709 x $2 = $1418. Assuming they're working as fast as they can once it's released and shooting for the same release time frame as the fansub groups. They can't worry about cleaning it up and changing the signs or names in the show. Too much man power and time would be wasted.

So, $1418 just from the 709 on fansub.tv. those on the torrents, i've seen as many as 3000 or so on one episode for Death note. 3000 x $2 = $6000 for a total of $7418 and i'm pretty damn sure there's more than 3709 viewers of this show out there. If anyone has a more accurate figure, please say so. These are just estimates. If they're smart and only use a small crew to work on this show under Viz, then they'd be making a lot of money.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
From what I've read, this has the potential to be a very interesting little experiment. I'm all for Viz's approach in this manner, and hope for good results. However, I'm afraid that the die-hard, never-buy-the-R1-release types will continue on their quest to find their free fix. Still, though, it's nice to see that a company is starting to make its own moves regarding the fansub market.
MDMAX980

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:48 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
From what I've read, this has the potential to be a very interesting little experiment. I'm all for Viz's approach in this manner, and hope for good results. However, I'm afraid that the die-hard, never-buy-the-R1-release types will continue on their quest to find their free fix. Still, though, it's nice to see that a company is starting to make its own moves regarding the fansub market.

I agree. It's a first for the anime industry. we all get antsy in watching the series and it takes an average of 6-9 months to legally get them in America. Viz is making a big leap in this process by directly offering them to us. Still, I believe there should be a rebate of some sort when we buy the DVDs. Chances are they're going to use the same system that iTunes uses and limit the share power you have so it stays on your computer only or iPod.

I'm excited to see how this turns out Very Happy .

kaos wrote:

It won't kill it. Let's say other companies do catch on. each episode would be the single episode price ($2 that we've been using in these forums). How many fansubs does the average anime fan watch? even if it's 4, that's $8 a week to keep up, $32 a month just to keep up on the anime. A lof of fans will see this and stick with the free fansubs. the Price of them adds up for us. Then the companies will have to think of some way to make it worth paying the money, such as the rebate idea for the DVDs.
DekarMaximGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't read much of the topic (Sorry!), so if this was already mentioned, sorry.

I think the easiest and best solution to this would be to have a Pay-by-the-month subscription type thing. Let's say, once you subscribe, you can download any and all episodes currently available is their database, if you decide to delete an episode, or your finger slips or something else, you can re-download at any time.

They could also add the same kind of protection itunes music has, where it can only be played on a certain amount of CPU's.

This, of course, would be a down the road type thing. If they decided to truly go all in to this, they could be subbing 2-3, maybe more shows per week. And if, let's say, monthly subscription is 20$, you COULD, if you wanted to watch all the shows, be saving plenty. It would depend on the consumer whether or not they wanted to re-subscribe or not as well. Let's say Death Note was the only show on you currently cared to watch the sub of, and it ends. Nothing else looks interesting, so what do you do? Cancel the subscription. No more paying until you are ready to watch a new sub.

Obviously I am missing some details and such, but I think an idea like this would be perfect. Heck, even if they charged more, you, theoretically, could have a large database of anime to choose from in due time. And if it get's too big or something, they could change the Anime available to download every week. But that would be a ways down the road.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:07 pm Reply with quote
If they're pulling some 'Mwahahaha, you need to pay for the download AND the DVD if you want both language tracks, but if you only want the DVD and not the dub you're screwed!' stunt, it'll annoy me GREATLY, but since I dont live in the US, I can only wait for a Madman release anyway. And if what I fear IS the case, I'll have to trust Madman to put both audio tracks on the dvds (I mean Madman NOT releasing Death Note would be just plain retarded) since the subtitled downloadable version isnt available here anyway...
*prays for that*
MDMAX980

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
If they're pulling some 'Mwahahaha, you need to pay for the download AND the DVD if you want both language tracks, but if you only want the DVD and not the dub you're screwed!' stunt, it'll annoy me GREATLY, but since I don't live in the US, I can only wait for a Madman release anyway. And if what I fear IS the case, I'll have to trust Madman to put both audio tracks on the dvds (I mean Madman NOT releasing Death Note would be just plain retarded) since the subtitled downloadable version isnt available here anyway...
*prays for that*

I doubt it. Viz won't pull some crap stunt like that. they know better. At least I hope they do.....
Charred Toast

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
If this works it will be a good thing for Anime. Not for cheep jerks who want something for nothing. If you want to watch Death Note for free wait for it to be on Adult Swim.

The more profitable anime becomes the more anime will be released both in Japan, and out. The more money companies that license anime can make the more money the Japanese companies can ask for the license. The more profitable anime is the more companies will make anime.

For those that think they will be able to continue stealing free fan subs, I think you are kidding yourselves. I willing to bet that there will be a crackdown on groups that illegally sub licensed material. I would not be surprised if they even put pressure on Japanese companies to crackdown prior to them licensing anime.

What I would like to see is anime released legally subed within a day or two of airing in Japan for about $2.00 each. You will still have an option to wait for the DVD release. Oh, I hope it comes out in HD as well.

To the guy who wants to sign a petition: You are funny. That would be like signing a petition to Wal-Mart saying they should let you shoplift because, well you like their stuff. You act as if you are doing someone a favor by watching fansubed anime, and the only one you are helping is yourself. Why should any company care that you got cut off in mid-story? If it were not for those money grubbing big corporations in Japan there would be no anime (or are only the companies that license anime money hungry?).

To the people who say they will not buy non-physical media: Well it worked for music. People were stealing music like crazy until the crackdown came, and music was available to download legally. It is going to happen with video as well. There needs to be a legal alternative. If you are willing to download fansubs, then you must not mind watching non-physical media. Physical media will be phased out over time. Just ask your local music store. Oh wait, it went out of business.
Shinogu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:14 am Reply with quote
I have no interest in downloading it cause i think it is dumb how they can just license death note. If they have a dvd it better have japanese in it and the voices better not be horrible, just like naruto but we won't talk about that. That is the only way i will buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7