• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking: May 28-June 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Well holy cow I didn't know that Deltora Quest was doing that good even if there was two shows off this week. As for Naruto looks like ya can't doubt the little orange guy. I still can't believe that Pokemon is still going strong after 10 years, there's something I can't believe. I always thought that Pokemon was a good premise but damn 10 years and countless games (and all the cards) it's pretty amazing.
hara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It is quite strange what the majority of Japanese prefer. They also seem to be quite conservative given they are watching either classic shows or worn out themes like shounen and magical girl.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:24 pm Reply with quote
hara wrote:
It is quite strange what the majority of Japanese prefer. They also seem to be quite conservative given they are watching either classic shows or worn out themes like shounen and magical girl.

So shows are always in the top ten, beside Naruto and Deltora Quest. And basically that's because they are classic.....there like are Bambi, Snow White, and Fantasia only 500 episodes longer.
Velius

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Never doubt the classics. They are equivalent of the classic disney movies, something that everyone can watch together, hence the large household ratings and the continued success after so many years.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:21 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't realize that Deltora Quest was doing so well. I saw a few episodes and thouht it was pretty good, but hadn't heard much of anything from the anime fan community. Anyway, yeah, like everyone else said, those shows are classic family fun, and classic family fun outbeats fanboy-infactuation of the year, as it attracts a more general audience.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
The one problem with Pokemon is it doesn't have any followers who are older. The people entertained by it are small children. It's understandable they'd continue animating the series, as it's an instant-favorite among little children. The card games can be interesting, though.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:48 pm Reply with quote
SS_Vegeta wrote:
The one problem with Pokemon is it doesn't have any followers who are older. The people entertained by it are small children. It's understandable they'd continue animating the series, as it's an instant-favorite among little children. The card games can be interesting, though.

Not nessecarily, there are plenty of adult fans for Pokemon, just like any series. The only thing is that the show pretty much advertises only to the children rather than the everyone. You also have to remember that those who watched it early on have gotten older, so it does have some adult fanbase, or at least the novelty value. Not everyone "grows out of Pokemon" (I myself am an adult and I still love Pokemon and watch it every week).
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:12 am Reply with quote
Non-otaku oriented series are way more popular than the other. An anime oriented for children, on children's time (09.00 a.m., 18.00 p.m.) would be more watched than an anime shown at 01:30 a.m. Otaku audience is always fewer than the rest).

BTW: I think there's a typo: Deltora Quest is broadcasted Saturdays at 08.00 a.m, not 20:00.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
(I myself am an adult and I still love Pokemon and watch it every week).

You watch Pokemon every week? That's really interesting. It's quite obvious when something's directed at children, but hell, if it's a childhood favorite there's no reason not to like it now.

Quote:
Non-otaku oriented series are way more popular than the other. An anime oriented for children, on children's time (09.00 a.m., 18.00 p.m.) would be more watched than an anime shown at 01:30 a.m. Otaku audience is always fewer than the rest).

Dragonball Z still has a massive "Otaku" fanbase, it was aired during the week around 5PM, and its ratings wiped the floor with Pokemon. In fact, many shows did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1