• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-12]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Julia-the-Great wrote:
Exhibit A:
Tsubasa Chronicle

This is one show that DOES take a break between seasons for a few months, but even with this stalling method, there was still an abhorrent amount of filler episodes in the second season.

To be fair, the plot of Tsubasa Chronicle lends itself easily to filler. Unlike, for instance, Naruto.
ArchangelTyriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I personally have watched over sixteen full series’s on youtube and now I own 12 of them. you tube has allowed me to see what I want to watch and find anime I like. Before I used youtube I never bought any anime just watched what I could on TV. So as a whole youtube has made me an active part of the anime community. so I am all for the availability of anime online.
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I do believe another anime that was "filler to the end" was the Hellsing TV series, it followed the manga for awhile then went into fillers til the shows end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Strephon wrote:
I have to say I'm amused by the misinterpretation in the fillers question: reading "Naruto fillers to end" not as "filler is ending" but "it's all filler until the ending" is a very, um, creative way of looking at it.

I do believe it said "fillers to the end" which would mean that the show goes into filler and never goes back to the story. That was the case with RK, but utterly false with the other two as Bleach just started back on the manga story and Naruto will in about a month.

Nope, no "the" there: here's a direct cut-and-paste from the article:

Quote:
For instance, Naruto=fillers to end, Rurouni Kenshin=fillers to end, Bleach=Possibly fillers to end.

"Naruto fillers to end" seems to have been a common way of announcing the return to manga adaptations, judging by Google hits on the phrase, which is why it amuses me that the questioner seems to have completely inverted the meaning into saying that the filler never ended ("...have been ending in complete fillers"/"ending with fillers").
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:22 pm Reply with quote
This question of fillers. Has anyone with a contact in Japan ,who is involved with a studio that does this to a title, ever asked to explain why it is felt so necessary in Japanese media to do so?
It would be so much better to just end an arc on a cliffhanger, and then return to it a few months later after the manga has been completed. Is it because that there is so much anime on their tele that to do that would mean sudden death for it's popularity, or is it just perceived that way and is filled out of fear?
Could it be that the labour force of animators, drawers, etc, are so fluid that if a series is stopped for too long the animators have already gone to other studios and would not be able to return to it and so the producers keep them sort of in a state of what would be termed a "dummy load" in electrical engineering? I would love to see an explanation from someone in the industry there about this.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't quite see how the ranter could be so affected by YouTube. What you find on YouTube are fansubs in inferior quality, fansubs that in turn are usually inferior to DVDs in quality. Fansubs are still pretty good quality and known to be good enough for some to stop buying DVDs. But YouTube's picture quality is so crap I can't see how a serious collector could start feeling bad about it. If the show gave off the vibe that it wasn't up to snuff, then save the money and buy something more to your liking.
NGE1113

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Some decent questions this week; nice to see it instead of the usual litany that comes around once a week:

I can feel when it comes to reviewing middle-of-the-road titles. Whenever it's time to whittle down my collection, it's a prerequisite for me to think about if anything I own that has outlived my interest or not (which isn't the easiest of decisions at times).

As for subtitles on individual volumes: eh, they don't really bug me one way or the other. However, it's when volume numbers and/or episode numbers are omitted from single releases that really irritates me. I can usually find out the correct order by reading the production number, but really, should I pay someone else for the privilage of doing so?

Concerning fillers, my gut feeling is that TPTB wnat to have their cash cow mooing for as long as possible, regardless of whether they have a storyline from the source manga to work with or not.

For the ranter out there: if you feel that what you're doing on YouTube is unethical, then follow that instinct and stop. Seriously, I'd consider this a good thing, as leeching off the anime industry won't improve its economic health at all.

EDIT: wording clarification
Freakyfred234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Manwha and OEL: While many of these titles may be inferior to the Japanese ones I believe many fans have failed to admit that the majority of mangas are highly cliched. Also, I feel that some manga fans are ignoring the numberissue There are far more mangas released in the U.S. than OEL's or Manwha, which means that the probability that one will find a quality product in manga is greater than the chance that he would find one in Manwha or OEL. I think that as more OEL's are published (and if more Manwha are published in the U.S.) the number of quality series wil grow. I hope that it is only a matter of time until Manwha and OELs garner more appreciation. Afterall, there are authors and artists in the worlds of Manwha and OEL who are just as gifted as their Japanese counterparts.
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I understand watching a few episodes to see if the series is enjoyable/buyable, but watching it and not buying anime is just hurting the industry. The reason why anime is starting to get popular is because more people are buying it. I agree that companies should post traillers since most anime isn't advertised on TV. Also, there are some translation problems with the fansubs on YouTube. DVD quaility is much better and sometimes comes with extras.
Freakyfred234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Sorry for the type-o. I meant to write number isssue.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
you really hit the american/japan/korean manga thing.

it kinda sucks being that i want to be an american manga-ka but because of the overflow of crappy US manga and your comments it makes me want to work harder to break that sterotype of american manga. and use that one existing as an example of what not to do.
Anime Wench

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the Rant of the Week, Youtube has been a really good tool for me in discovering new Anime that I wouldn't have had a chance to check out otherwise. The only station in my area that I can get that shows any Anime is Cartoon Network and you all know how limited that is. I have puchased many of the Anime shows that I've checked out on Youtube.

I don't see how it can be ripping anybody off as the people who upload the episodes onto Youtube aren't making anything off of it. I would think that, like myself, it would be a better tool for giving people an idea if the product is something they like or not and would want to buy.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Freakyfred234 wrote:
There are far more mangas released in the U.S. than OEL's or Manwha, which means that the probability that one will find a quality product in manga is greater than the chance that he would find one in Manwha or OEL. I think that as more OEL's are published (and if more Manwha are published in the U.S.) the number of quality series wil grow. I hope that it is only a matter of time until Manwha and OELs garner more appreciation. Afterall, there are authors and artists in the worlds of Manwha and OEL who are just as gifted as their Japanese counterparts.

I think part of the reason for the disparity is actually the OPPOSITE. Yes there are many Japanese manga released in the US, but there are so many MORE released in Japan. Much like the early days of anime release, what gets licensed for US release from Japan are often the "better" (or at least "more popular") titles. I don't know about the Korean licenses, but the American licenses are more likely "best of the rest".

But more than anything else, what everyone seems to be avoiding is that in Japan with both the larger popularity of the printed medium and (more importantly) the doujinshi culture, budding mangaka get more "practice" in Japan. How many current mangaka "paid their dues" going to Comiket and other doujinshi events? How many have spent hours and hours specifically laying out pages and dealing with the printing process rather than just drawing pin-ups and then thinking "hey, I could draw a comic"?

As they say, "practice makes perfect", and I think more OEL manga creators could simply use more practice. Altho I know some people aren't fans, I think this is why Megatokyo enjoys it's level of popularity. Because Fred has spent years developing his craft, and he wasn't "published" until he'd come a long way from his early webcomic days. Would Megatokyo sell as well in book form if the cover looked like this:
http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=1
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I think it's true that, on average, Japanese manga is better than American or Korean derivatives, but it's really a matter of industry, I believe. Pick up a Japanese manga phonebook-- or even a Chinese or Taiwanese one-- and compare the fanart section to US Shonen Jump or Shojo Beat: HUGE difference. It's just because anime is much bigger there, kids have been exposed to it from an early age, and it's culturally prominent; as a result, more young artists are practicing, drawing and writing their own stories, in East Asia.

However, it's a little faulty to say that Japanese manga are almost always better than Korean or Taiwanese. On average, yes, but there are probably more bad Japanese manga than there are Korean or Taiwanese, simply because of volume. Japanese does not mean quality either; even some of the more amateur mainstream American "manga" are better than some Japanese titles; this fact is just obscured because American fans tend to consider the most mainstream Jump-and-Margaret class of titles.

Given time, American manga, if it persists, will get better; it can be seen in East Asia, as Korean and Taiwan comics have evolved for the better (although I can't say the same about China necessarily, as their industry tanks...). Japanophilic elitism seems more prevalent than in America than elsewhere, which could be a hindrance.

I think the big question is the amount of derivation that is acceptable. If Americans copy too much, as some Chinese comics are accused of doing, it's seen as "cashing in" and being "unoriginal." If they take too many liberties, as OTHER Chinese comics do, it's seen as "no longer manga" and still "cashing in." If the American manga industry is to survive at all, fans need to stop taking these attitudes that manga is determined on race and buy for quality. This way, weak American manga titles like Midnight Opera will fall to the wayside, the stronger ones (like Dramacon perhaps) will prevail, and those fans who WANT to create manga and fulfill their dreams can achieve it-- not by getting success handed to them, but by working hard and studying the medium. And really, some elitist fans need to realize it's not always about money-- it certainly isn't, and American "mangaka" are paid dirt-- but that mangaka who were fans to begin with (not former American comics writers) are creating because they love the medium, just the same way that fanartists and fanfiction writers try to contribute. Those who want to shoot down American mangaka solely because of their race don't have the luxury of holding a double standard.

I don't think I've ever posted anything this long, and seeing as it'll be on the 5th page, no one will read it -_-;;;
zcat68

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:50 pm Reply with quote
As far as the ranter and this poster:

Feb wrote:
i don't understand why people buy anime when you can watch them for free on the internet. i mean, they're free! they're right there, you don't have to pay. i never buy dvds, i watch all my anime on youtube, and i wouldnt be suprised if i saved thousands. putting a dvd in your dvd player, or watching on youtube, whats the difference? crazy people buy anime when they can watch it for free.

I think I've got an adequate solution that will solve both your needs, although not neccessarily in the timely manner that you hope for (and as long as you aren't a Jehovah's Witness) You can ask for them as birthday/holiday seaons gifts! That way, you never have to pay a dime for them, watch them at entirely your convience, and save the industry! Hurrah!

Me myself, I do watch fansubs on Youtube, and yes the qualitiy is very very awful, I'd be the first to admit that, but at the same time I want the option to watch shows uncut (uncensored uncut that is, not broken down into parts like they are) and in some cases (like Naruto and One Piece) I wouldn't be able to have that option if I simply went out and bought the DVDs. Also, the common idea is that shows should be enjoyed in their original language as they were inteded. Just like you wouldn't repaint the Mona Lisa in black and white and expect the same result, you can get a whole new experience (as a quick example one of the best rants in Yu Yu Hakusho that is in the english version comes out quite different in Japanese)

Ultimately it will probably come to a Napester-esque conclusion that leaves the site heavily emasculated and people running to options as the copywriters try to hunt and chase them down, people will always fight spending money, and business will always fight back to get them to spend, it's really a never ending cycle on a new battlefield.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8