• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best American Manga Artist

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:18 pm Reply with quote
We know (that) many people in America can draw manga. Some went as far as developing their own manga works. A few even have publications.

Out of these people - who does the best manga work?
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Adam Warren, hands down. Check this page for a look at his upcoming book "Empowered." WOW does it look good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Adam Warren, hands down. Check this page for a look at his upcoming book "Empowered." WOW does it look good.

Laughing Looks kind of funny. "Dancing with the Supeheroes!" Top heros too busy to come so they send the "intern." Very good! It does look like he's hit on some of the bigger self-esteem issues people have.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Depends on how you define "American manga artist." Of the initial people to adopt elements from manga convention (not including someone like Frank Miller, who was really only influenced by Goseki Kojima from what I can tell) Adam Warren had and has the most artistic talent (IMO) and usually writes highly entertianing stories. As for artists in the so-called OEL/Global manga "movement," I'd say June Kim is the best. While many artists seem to just borrow artistic features and genre cliches without really developing them into anything distinctive, Kim's work (12 Days from Tokyopop) came off remarkably mature and polished. Her storytelling and art owes a HUGE debt the Nananan Kiriko (which she acknowleges), but it rises above a simple clone and manages to have real soul to it. Definitally one of the most promining young cartoonists I've discovered over the last year, manga-influenced or not.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
KyuuA4 wrote:
We know (that) many people in America can draw manga. Some went as far as developing their own manga works. A few even have publications.

Out of these people - who does the best manga work?

Teh Rules wrote:
3) Discussions should carry some measure of intelligence to them. Consider if what you are writing is relevant or important to others. If it does not contribute to the discussion, do not post it. Please post detailed answers to questions, lists and one-liners do not contribute.

You, first.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1