• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Death Note Release Won't be Limited to Downloads

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, if it's sub only, then I definately won't be using the download service. I'll wait for the dubbed DVDs.

Then again, I was giving up on the fansubs and waiting for the dub anyway. I've already read the story, why do I want to read it again in subtitles?

See, that's what bugs me about subtitled anime. This case in particular stands out as I've been reading (and buying in English) the manga. If I wanted to read the story, I'd pick up the manga. Anime is meant to be watched and heard, not read. Sure, there is original Japanese dub, and let's not forget it's a dub in Japanese too, but it's not my native language, so how the hell is watching that more like the Japanese experience? I just don't buy that.

Anyway, I look forward to this anime, but I'll wait for the DVDs.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
See, that's what bugs me about subtitled anime. This case in particular stands out as I've been reading (and buying in English) the manga. If I wanted to read the story, I'd pick up the manga. Anime is meant to be watched and heard, not read. Sure, there is original Japanese dub, and let's not forget it's a dub in Japanese too, but it's not my native language, so how the hell is watching that more like the Japanese experience?

I'm not trying to start a sub-vs-dub fight here, but some people simply prefer subs because they think the original dubs are better, most of the time. There's more variation (more voice actors to choose from), the voice actors are usually more into it (and yes, I know enough Japanese to know when a performance of a seiyuu is not good - see Tenjou tenge that has a particularly bad Japanese dub), etc. I personally happen to prefer subtitles (not just with anime but every time I'm watching something on a different language), but then my native language is not English, so I'm in a different situation here.

But my main beef with English dubs is all that needlessly excessive dialogue. It's as if the writers were convinced that the audience will get bored if no character talks or makes a sound for like one full minute. Pick a show at random and watch the English dub with the subtitles for the Japanese dub and you'll see what I mean. I find this horribly annoying. Plus, English dub writers are prone to change things about the story. I'm not talking about completely rewriting the original (see Heroic Legend of Arslan, where dub and sub are two different shows at times), but like ROD TV, for example, where the dub has resurrected a character's parents, changed a perfectly innocent question ("Are you a half?" or something along these lines), and eradicated most hints of a "more than best friends" relationship between two characters... among other things.

And as for the "meant to be watched and not read" thing, some of us are perfectly capable of reading the subs and watching the video at the same time. I never understood why some people find this difficult.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
sabriyahm wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

AstroNerdBoy wrote:
If they truly want to stop fansubbers, they will need to emulate fansub releases. So that will not only mean non-domesticated subtitles, but use of Japanese honorifics and use of cultural notes either during the episode or at the end (or ultimately both if needed).

YES, this is what I've thought for a long time; people don't just watch fansubs because they're fast and free, they watch them because they like the way that fansubs present anime. Unfortunately, among all the professional companies, Viz's practices are pretty much the farthest from fansub style as you can get.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Mabe it's cause I am an older anime fan, I don't know but I watch fan subs because they are fast and free. I don't watch them for honorifcs or cultural notes. I would take a professionally subtitled series over a fansub any day of the week. As a matter of fact one of my pet peeves with fansubs is incomplete translating. Putting Onii-chan instead of big sister. Stuff like that irritates me. [....] My point is don't assume most anime fans are hoping for professional releases to be more like fansubs. I would really really hate that and so would my other anime loving friends.

I pretty much agree with you here. Some people think the average fansubber do a more professional translation job than an average professional translator because fansubber keep japanese honorifics in subtitles and do flashy karaoke stuff in the op/ed, and other stuff. Professional translators however translate one hundred percent from one language into another, instead of some halfbaked japanese-english honorific style (which is supposed to sound exotic and "cool" I guess), and they try to provide the shortest yet most accurate translation possible instead of trying to be only as fast and accurate as possible (which often ends in way too long sentences). Moreover, professional translations usually are directly from japanese, whereas fansubs often depend on korean and chinese translations.

Sorry for the mini rant.

Amen. I hate the myth propagated by rabid fans that somehow fansubs are more professional than.. well.. professional translations and subtitles. They often cite a bad official release here and there, but in general, they are professional and just well done. Of course they don't have karaoke or fancy fonts. DVDs don't allow it and it really doesn't make the subtitles any better. It's just something fansubbers to do make their subtitles look prettier and claim superiority. Many times the fancy fonts are distracting and the karaoke is really pretty.. well.. not lame as much as I'm not a fan. I know some people like it, but fans act like it's an essintial part of the subtitles. It's not. A quick karaoke bonus on a DVD fixes that anyway.

Also, some DVDs do have Japanese honorifics and use cultural notes. Depends on the comapny or the anime. Some anime don't really need it. Also, you either know about the culture already or you get out and educate yourself about the culture.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
See, that's what bugs me about subtitled anime. This case in particular stands out as I've been reading (and buying in English) the manga. If I wanted to read the story, I'd pick up the manga. Anime is meant to be watched and heard, not read. Sure, there is original Japanese dub, and let's not forget it's a dub in Japanese too, but it's not my native language, so how the hell is watching that more like the Japanese experience?

I'm not trying to start a sub-vs-dub fight here, but some people simply prefer subs because they think the original dubs are better, most of the time. There's more variation (more voice actors to choose from), the voice actors are usually more into it (and yes, I know enough Japanese to know when a performance of a seiyuu is not good - see Tenjou tenge that has a particularly bad Japanese dub), etc. I personally happen to prefer subtitles (not just with anime but every time I'm watching something on a different language), but then my native language is not English, so I'm in a different situation here.

But my main beef with English dubs is all that needlessly excessive dialogue. It's as if the writers were convinced that the audience will get bored if no character talks or makes a sound for like one full minute. Pick a show at random and watch the English dub with the subtitles for the Japanese dub and you'll see what I mean. I find this horribly annoying. Plus, English dub writers are prone to change things about the story. I'm not talking about completely rewriting the original (see Heroic Legend of Arslan, where dub and sub are two different shows at times), but like ROD TV, for example, where the dub has resurrected a character's parents, changed a perfectly innocent question ("Are you a half?" or something along these lines), and eradicated most hints of a "more than best friends" relationship between two characters... among other things.

Well, I think the adding of words might be something to do with the language. It's somewhat like how so many Japanese puns just cannot translate because English just doesn't rhyme as well as Japanese.

Quote:

And as for the "meant to be watched and not read" thing, some of us are perfectly capable of reading the subs and watching the video at the same time. I never understood why some people find this difficult.

I'm not talking about difficulty, I'm talking about purpose of anime. Anime is not made to be read. It's made to be watched and heard. That's what the Japanese do. Why would I want to do it differently? The Japanese pretty much don't read subtitles with their anime.

Manga is meant to be read.
jbondsr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
neither is better. fansubs or professional subs. but if you get a good group who really concentrates on a release, its closer to the original japanese as possible.

not that that changes how the anime plays out or much of the story anyway.

and they do change dialogue when the do english sometimes which affects small tidbits in the story. however, in japan they also change somethings or miss out on somethings when moving from manga to anime.

the whole debate is pretty much pointless.
It all boils down to what you prefer and no one should try to force their opinions on anyone else.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Well, I think the adding of words might be something to do with the language. It's somewhat like how so many Japanese puns just cannot translate because English just doesn't rhyme as well as Japanese.

No, it has nothing to do with the language - the lines translated from the original are always perfectly enough (or if not, the translator tampers with them a little). I don't know what it has to do with, frankly, because most of the time the added lines or sounds/effects (grunts, screams, etc.) are completely redundant. They don't even add to the mood of the show, only make it more loud or talkative. Maybe script writers are paid by word.

The Xenos wrote:
I'm not talking about difficulty, I'm talking about purpose of anime. Anime is not made to be read. It's made to be watched and heard. That's what the Japanese do. Why would I want to do it differently? The Japanese pretty much don't read subtitles with their anime.

Dunno, I've never had any problems like this. Whenever I watch something in a foreign language I watch it in the original language, with subtitles if necessary, and I always perceived the subs as pretty much part of the picture, if that makes sense. Maybe I just read fast.

jbondsr wrote:
and they do change dialogue when the do english sometimes which affects small tidbits in the story. however, in japan they also change somethings or miss out on somethings when moving from manga to anime.

And what's manga->anime adaptations got to do with dubs? I've always thought that the purpose of a translation was to present something in another language, as close to the original as possible while sounding natural in the target language. Not randomly changing story elements because "hey, the audience may not like this" or "they may like this better."
NightOption

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:58 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
And what's manga->anime adaptations got to do with dubs? I've always thought that the purpose of a translation was to present something in another language, as close to the original as possible while sounding natural in the target language. Not randomly changing story elements because "hey, the audience may not like this" or "they may like this better."

As far as I know, changing story elements around for the sake of Americanization really hasn't been common practice for anime companies for several years now. Unless you are referring to 4Kids.
jbondsr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I was just trying to point out some of the things people complain about when moving from one thing to another. Things may be lost or changed in translation processes.

It doesn't mater to some people if somethings not 100% accurate to the original. Give 'em a nice story and they're set.
purple_monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh my God!!! I said I didn't want to start this fansub v. pro argument, and it gets started by someone else!! Let's go back to the original thread. There's enough crap in the fansub v pro argument and MORE than enough people here that this argument could go on for thousands of posts. Let's just finish the argument with "to each his own" and get back to Death Note, nee?
jbondsr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:45 pm Reply with quote
purple_monkey wrote:
Oh my God!!! I said I didn't want to start this fansub v. pro argument, and it gets started by someone else!! Let's go back to the original thread. There's enough crap in the fansub v pro argument and MORE than enough people here that this argument could go on for thousands of posts. Let's just finish the argument with "to each his own" and get back to Death Note, nee?

Agreed!
The_Dominion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
What I find amusing is that now that Viz has liscensed it, the number of groups fansubbing has gone from 3 big groups, to, in the most recent count of mine, 11 small groups.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:48 pm Reply with quote
But you know- if they are going to split to subs-only download and dub-only dvd (and I don't necessarily believe it yet, I suspect the dvds will be bilingual before we actually get ther) then for the first time in years, the sub/dub question actually means something. I would be much more interested in paying to download a single episode that was a representation of what I was going to buy on the dvd- the dub mean something to me. I think in this case, I'm digging the manga, so I'll almost certainly pick up at least the first volume of the anime, but in general, I don't think splitting things that way is ultimately going to help me. (Me being a small subsection of anime fandom, I think, so I don't expect that to have much impact on Viz or others.)

Also, as has been said, there is a certain reduction in value in not having both audio tracks. I have been known to watch both, so losing one or the other is a loss in value: I won't pay $5 an episode to download and pay $20 for four episodes dubbed. I don't think I'd pay $20 for just the dubs, either: it seems that most dub-only shows sell cheaper than that, although most of them are more mass-market friendly than Death Note is likely to be. (Although it's pretty buzzy so far, maybe I'm wrong.)

That said, this is an interesting experiment regardless of how they do it. I just wish they'd give us some sales numbers when it's all over, but oh well.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:43 pm Reply with quote
It is different to see subtitled downloads when they usually are English dubbed. The English dub fans would have probably wanted it too fresh off the tube if they could get it that way.

I agree it will be an interesting experiment.

I still hope for the bilingual DVDs.

@The_Dominion: Shame, shame ,shame! With all the newer titles coming out this season, it's a breeze to find a title that no group is fansubbing. Smile
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't think we have anything to worry about with having bilingual DVD's. Just remember, Death Note is a high profile release, and most people watching it will probably watch it dubbed (consequently, those people also don't post in here). So, when you read it in context, it is simply saying that the dub will NOT be available in the downloaded form. It would be just plain idiotic to not have the sub on the DVD.

Also, someone commented about fansub groups using Chinese and Korean translations as aids. Actually, I live in Korea, and the fansub market is alive here too. Ironically, they tend to put up their releases AFTER the US groups. So, it's possible that they use the ENGLISH translations as aids. Though not likely, since Japanese and Korean are about as linguistically close as English and Spanish.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote
Ero-Sennin wrote:
[Some idiot being a childish, babbling idiot. -N]

Wow. Just.. wow. Thank you for that inteligent comment. Well, except for it makes no sense and has the worst self editing of swears ever. More like avoiding the word filter. (I edited them out myself.)

If anything Viz is doing this because they know the popularity of Deathnote. Not only is there buzz on the series, but the manga is a best seller.

And please, you don't think the Japanese companies making the anime don't just want money out of you too? Don't forget that Viz's parent company is actually Japanese. Stop deluding yourself. If Viz is some evil comapny out to get your money, then so are the very companies making the damn animes too.

How exactly is this getting money out of you? If you don't like the download format, which I don't either, wait for the DVD. Otherwise, you cleary don't care about the series because you clearly don't actually care enough about it to put down any money at all.

Fansubs are only a temporary format for fans who can't wait for the US release which usually takes time. Here Viz, who I belive is owned by the company that published Deathnote in the first place, is offering fans a professionally made alternative before the DVD release. I don't care for it myself, but that's a terrible reaction to it.

Good job. You have made a name for rabid fansub supporters and it is not a good one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6