• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Variety: Jaume Collett-Serra to Direct Live-Action Akira Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

Seriously people, I'm tired of the instant remake=bad knee jerk. Just wait until the thing comes out.

Same here. It is true that some remakes are not good and it seems that almost all of the anime remakes into Hollywood movies are bad. However, some where along the line someone has to get it right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Makes me wonder why Warner is so obsessed with making this thing happen. Did they overpay on the movie rights?
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Another director? Let's hope this one sticks. Remember the golden rule for these things, nothing is solid until they actually start filming.

TopGunman wrote:
Pretend it doesn't exist, after all, it shouldn't exist.

We should also pretend it doesn't exist because it doesn't exist. Also, a movie that doesn't exist can't be bad.

Seriously people, I'm tired of the instant remake=bad knee jerk. Just wait until the thing comes out.

Quote:
Same here. It is true that some remakes are not good and it seems that almost all of the anime remakes into Hollywood movies are bad. However, some where along the line someone has to get it right.

Also I like to point out as I said before, Asia is remaking American films. It seem people fail to pay attention to that. As I said, what happen if Japan wanted to maybe remake Sin City. I bet nobody will complain and say the Japanese remake is so much better, and say the original movie suck, and probably say Robert Rodriguez is a bad director and say the Japanese director is better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kow626

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
i'm not expecting this to be anything other than an american adaptation. meaning they'll change the cast, city, and everything else and place it in new york and americanize it. i'm not opposed to that at all if it's done right. collet-serra is a capable director but he hasn't done anything on the scale that akira could and should be. orphan was a great effort. unknown suffered from a bad script. if they can get the right writers on board and they use different cg tech (like 300 and casshern perhaps) to keep the budget down, i don't think anyone will be complaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2