• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Venus Versus Virus (First Episode)

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exaar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
So, I saw this show pop up, and looking for something new to watch, got it to check out. Before I did, I looked on the Encyclopedia, and here is roughly what I saw:

Sumire can see ghosts. She finds a broach beloning to Ruchia (Luchia, take your pick) and pricks her finger on it. This allows her to see Viruses as well. Ruchia then convinces her to join the Venus Vanguard and fight viruses.

So I go, okay, sounds pretty cliche but might be entertaining. However, when I get into the first episode... it just seems to start, like, in the middle.

The first scene, before the intro, has Sumire and Ruchia fighting in the snow. It never, ever explains why, what the situation was, etc. And then when it gets into the actual show, Sumire is already in the Venus Vanguard, already knows Ruchia, and they're helping people kill Viruses.

So the question is: Is the summary for the show in the Encyclopedia taken from a manga, or something? The show doesn't seem to be providing any of the backstory that the summary so blithly posits. And what's with that first scene? Is the episode I saw not really the first episode, just mislabled or something? Anything anyone can say to clarify this for me would be appreciated.

As for the show itself, well, it seems kinda like a D.Gray-man-type cliche shounen show except with lesbians. Wholey unremarkable, but entertaining enough for mindless fun. I may give it a shot. Smile
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I read some of the scanlations of the first chapter, and the anime definitely dived right into the action. The first chapter on the other hand did explain the backstory (which really reminded me of Bleach). Nonetheless, it was pretty entertaining in a mindless sort of way. And I LOVE OP and ED sequences which was chock full of yuri subtext! Cool
8daze

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:56 pm Reply with quote
No kidding. I picked it up out of curiosity about the title, and the first minute and a half made me think I had just a straight action/mystery show on my hands (which is what I expected). Then the OP started, and it was like, "Holy subtext, Batman!"

But as long as it doesn't turn into StoPani with guns, I'll probably keep watching it.
omar235

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
Well I am a sucker for mindless entertainment so long as the mindless part doesn't over take the entertainment. Wink I really enjoyed the first episode alot, it had decent action and I love the character designs used. OH yeah and it looks like it will have some yuri which is always a plus. Razz The relationship between Ruchia and Sumire is pretty interesting since they presented Sumire as a weakling and then you come to find that if you spoiler[pump a bullet full of some sort of drug into her she becomes some sort of anti-virus fighter] which I thought was pretty cool. Anyways so far this looks to be interesting, though I wish they would have animated the back story a bit...oh well I will still be keping up with this series.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Just watched ep. 1 and I liked this. But some things were bothering me. Like Sumires' hair is that her shadow part of her hair or does her hair actually go into a purple tint? and are those leg high black socks actually part of the school uniform?

Things I liked about this show is spoiler[Sumire being shot to become an anti-virus weapon, however I had my hopes WAY up that they way to get her back to normal, besides a time-limit, is for Ruchia to kiss her!!]. That would've been a GREAT anti-anti-virus injection method. However this does just seem like Black Cat and D. Gray-man put together, with girls instead of guys as the main characters.

However this show is cool and fun right now. Can't wait to see the littel girl deep throat something else besides pocky.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Show's okay. Premise and yuri-undertones kind of remind me of Yume Tsukai. Overall, I like the character designs and the characters themselves but the plot isn't super interesting and there was a fair share of lame/cliche/predictable moments. Has the potential to get better, a LOT better, but can also as easily turn and go the other way.
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering the same thing with the jump right into beginning. I bet they will have an episode that brings up the past and explains it there.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 was a bit better this time. I mean what's better than a cute schoolgirl running around the hallways carrying a loaded pistol? Laughing

spoiler[Sumire was getting pretty sick of getting tested on her berserk-status abilities so she tried to get back her normal life. Obviously that isn't working since a virus did appear, and she had to go to her berserk state in order to destroy it. Interestingly enough, her tattoo markings seemed to change at certain moments. ]

That episode preview image of Lucia dressing up Sumire was pretty cute though! Embarassed

I decided to lower my expectations of this series a bit, and give it a benefit of a doubt. The original manga is still ongoing so there's a chance it'll only last about 12/13 episodes with some unresolved plot points.
Adept_Rogue_Saiki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I also picked this series up to find another series to watch since Death Note got licensed and I am still waiting for more episodes of Sumomomo Momomo. I am not going to try to compare it to any other series I have seen yet until I watch a few more episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1