• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Utawarumono (if i spelled it right) shortened

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
okay ill try to spell this again. Utawarerumono.

you know some anime gets a shortened nickname like kujibiki unbalenced is kuji-un, azumanga is azudai and stuff. well with this long title that is hard to pronouce at first sight wy not shorten it to something like Utano or Umono.

also what is the english translation and why did fans protest the english title and wanted it to stay with the original. was it crappy. what really went on? i just heard about it.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
you know some anime gets a shortened nickname like kujibiki unbalenced is kuji-un, azumanga is azudai and stuff. well with this long title that is hard to pronouce at first sight wy not shorten it to something like Utano or Umono.

Acronyms such as Kujian for Kujibiki Unbalance or Hantsuki for Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora generally come about as a shortening of what was originally two or more words, taking the first few (usually two) characters of particular words and putting them together, thus, an acronym. Utawarerumono is essentially one big long hard-to-pronouce word in itself, so that kind of acronym usage doesn't work

By the way, there is actually a shorter version, "Utaware".

Quote:
also what is the english translation and why did fans protest the english title and wanted it to stay with the original. was it crappy. what really went on? i just heard about it.

The English translation is "The One Being Sung".

Fans protested the "English title" (which actually turned out in the end to be just a rumor as ADV ended up using "Utawarerumono" as the title), "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", for two reasons:

1) It sounds too much like Robotech.

2) It just sounds really stupid.

And as a result...well, you can probably guess what sorts of things fans said about it. Wink
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it can be shortened. A logical short would be uta-mono but that would change the meaning entirely. Edit: yah like she said above, it's one word not two. Smile I forgot to add.

As for the dispute on the title, it looks to be translated okay to me. Maybe people think it doesn't sound as cool as Utawarerumono? Shocked
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

Fans protested the "English title" (which actually turned out in the end to be just a rumor as ADV ended up using "Utawarerumono" as the title), "Shadow Warrior Chronicles", for two reasons:

1) It sounds too much like Robotech.

2) It just sounds really stupid.

And as a result...well, you can probably guess what sorts of things fans said about it. Wink

Woah, you mean they tried to name it Shadow Warrior Chronicles? That would be so TOTALLY off.

I was going off the "The One Being Sung" as the encyclopedia says. OUCH that is a blunder...
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Asako wrote:
Woah, you mean they tried to name it Shadow Warrior Chronicles?

Dunno. ANN reported it a while back, but it turned out that it never happened and ADV released it under the original Japanese title. I'm not clear whether ANN got erroneous information or whether ADV changed their minds last minute though.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:46 am Reply with quote
Is it really that hard to say? I don't think it is any harder than zensoku zenshin or maniawanai. This reminds me of those Isuzu commercials where the American couldn't say Isuzu. Take it a piece at a time Uta Wareru Mono.

The first few minutes made me wonder if the series was an animated version of Guin Saga. How "adult" is the game that the series is based off of? I believe the website for the game is 18+.
zalas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:55 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:

By the way, there is actually a shorter version, "Utaware".
<snip>

Actually, that translation is rather far from what is believed to be the intended meaning, as there's a specific term that the title refers to that is revealed in the last scene of the show/game. As for shorter versions, "utaware" is one, and is used on the website. Another popular version I see on Japanese message boards is "waremono".

Randall Miyashiro wrote:

The first few minutes made me wonder if the series was an animated version of Guin Saga. How "adult" is the game that the series is based off of? I believe the website for the game is 18+.

Yes, the original game has adult scenes where Hakuoro has sex with some girl from the show. There is a new version out for PS2 that has voices, doesn't have the sex scenes, adds an extra character and has an improved battle system. So if you have a PS2, I would suggest that version, as the sex scenes in the original were sort of haphazardly thrown in and do (nearly) nothing for the plot.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Well I actually liked Utawarerumono as an H-game. It was pretty good and the sex scenes, although some really didn't have much to do with the story, were pretty good. (I mean who wouldn't take advantage of a beautiful blind girl?) *snicker* Twisted Evil I wouldn't by the way...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1