• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Coyote Ugly

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
Well, "cliche" was the first thing that popped in to my head the moment I saw the Best Student Council cover. A high school anime, and sure enough before you even see a single episode you already have the obligatory bikini clad girls on the beach.

Interesting really that the only shelf worthy title this time around is one I hadn't even considered picking up. Like shirokiryuu I'm a bit concerned about whether it maintains its quality, the premise just sounds like an excuse to make use of a large number of, not to sound redundant, sci-fi cliches. While I appreciate Sam Murai's efforts I'm not sure I want to read a spoiler to find out whether I should consider the show since if I do decide to pick it up I don't really want to have it spoiled from the start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGE1113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:20 am Reply with quote
The whole Best Student Council concept never really intrigued me all that much from the start, and it still sounds like Pani Poni Dash! would be a better choice if I wanted to see a school comedy/parody series. That pretty much dumps any effort to see BSC into my "maybe" pile.

I saw the first episode of Coyote Ragtime online, and it left me feeling that this was series that would never get much better beyond a C+/B-. The review solidifed my feelings about it, so it joins BSC on that maybe pile.

As for Utawarerumono, I came in knowing nothing about it. My impression wasn't too good from the review, but the comments from those that I've read have convinced me o place it on "wait-and-see" status before I make a final decison.

I was in the same boat as you, undeadben, as I ordered Solty Rei off TRSI's FUNi sale blind as well. Yeah, it could end up following a disappointing, seen-it-way-too-many-times storyline, but my gut's telling me that probably won't be the case.

Bamboo wrote:
How is it that every major highway in California has six lanes in either direction, but is always busy every single day from 7AM to 8PM? I thought driving through New York City en route to Jersey was bad (and anyone who's done the same thing will agree), but this eternal constipation of traffic in the Sunshine State is ridiculous.

I can feel you on this, Bamboo, I really can. I grew up around the DC metro area, and traffic has grown increasingly miserable in the last ten years. There are places in DC and Northern VA that I'll refuse to go and drive on during daylight hours because of this. Not as bad as LA, I'm sure, but hey, we're up to third worst now. *waits for the day when Northern VA will wake up and demand autonomous control from Richmond*

Nermal wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:
I wasn't able to purchase Ninja nonsense because its selling for $27 at best buy. The second one is $20...i don't know. i think they messed up somewhere.

I think Best Buy sometimes varies the way they price different volumes of the same series, depending on what they're trying to get rid of; maybe the discounted one is supposed to hook you into buying both. The Best Buy near me was selling the Hare Guu vol. 1 + box + wig for $15, but vol. 2 was regular price. I usually just get things from RightStuf so I can pre-order and not worry about going out to get it.

I've seen this happen in my area as well. As some of you might know, Best Buy stores (including those around me) were heavily discounting the Samurai 7 LE's down to $19.99 about four months ago. Despite that, however, I only saw one store discount the standard DVD's below their list price of $19.99.

EDIT: grammar
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Utawarerumono does get better over time and the backstory gets fleshed out eventually, but it's then that series gets really clichéd and disappoints.

And how can Onsokumaru be obesessed with boobs when he sends Shinobu on a panty raid at the beginning? Wink
Trunks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
It's mainly SoCal that gets the crappy traffic. It can get bad up here in the Bay Area, but nothing as bad as SoCal.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:

I've seen this happen in my area as well. As some of you might know, Best Buy stores (including those around me) were heavily discounting the Samurai 7 LE's down to $19.99 about four months ago. Despite that, however, I only saw one store discount the standard DVD's below their list price of $19.99.

I wonder if Best Buy sometimes discounts boxed sets over regular editions because they take up more space. I cleared out over a foot of shelf space at our local store in December, between Gatchaman, Crest of the Stars and sequels, Panda-Z, and DNAngel...all of which were in some way thicker than standard DVD cases. (There are probably other factors at work, of course--in the case of DNAngel the thinpak was out and they had discounted the regular volumes as well.)
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:18 pm Reply with quote
As others have said, Utaware gets better later, especially once theyspoiler[ introduce Karura and Touka.] <just to be safe. The major thing people might notice is the sudden change in animation halfway through the series. From what I recall one animation company did the first half while a diff one did the second half, either way the first half doesn't have near the amount of violence as the second half. With the first half you never see anyway actually get killed on screen, while in the second half...well....it gets bloody. As for the end...it's ok, though it could've been better, but to each their own so I won't spoil it Razz
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
The whole Best Student Council concept never really intrigued me all that much from the start, and it still sounds like Pani Poni Dash! would be a better choice if I wanted to see a school comedy/parody series. That pretty much dumps any effort to see BSC into my "maybe" pile.

It didn't really intrigue me either but being an impulsive buyer I went ahead and picked it up at Best Buy for $24. Now I wish I had saved my money. I really didn't like it, it was unsatisfying and very cliche. If I hear good things about volume 2 I might be willing to give it another chance, but as it stands now... I think it's going in my "discontinue" pile.
Dorian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...but this eternal constipation of traffic in the Sunshine State is ridiculous.

I bet you thought it would be warm too.
nadesico81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Someone_II wrote:
Quote:
199 discs? We all know he's added DVDs since then, too…
It's not THAT much bigger than mine. Laughing

Nice article.

Ha ha ha Jeff mine if pushing something like 400 DVDS. I have a huge pile of anime DVDS I still need to watch.

Case in pont

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/nadesico81/My%20House/?action=view&current=KIF_2162.jpg

This is a old pic I have a whole new shelve on top of the one with the lamp on it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bleuster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote
That's a lot. I don't think even my local Hollywood Video has that many DVDs. Now, if we were talking CDs...

The only nerdy thing I do anime related is collect figures and play anime themes on my guitar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nadesico81

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
bleuster wrote:
That's a lot. I don't think even my local Hollywood Video has that many DVDs. Now, if we were talking CDs...

The only nerdy thing I do anime related is collect figures and play anime themes on my guitar.

HE HE HE Anime Figures you say I have tons of those

case and pont http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/nadesico81/My%20House/?action=view&current=KIF_2164.jpg

Awwww heck I mine as well show you my whole Otaku house Smile Every room in Otaku to the max! I spent 2 years liveing in Japan for the military so I have a ton of anime stuff and then some. I even own a bonified Japanese import car.

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/nadesico81/My%20House/

Ev
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pake

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
nadesico81 wrote:
Someone_II wrote:
Quote:
199 discs? We all know he's added DVDs since then, too…
It's not THAT much bigger than mine. Laughing

Nice article.

Ha ha ha Jeff mine if pushing something like 400 DVDS. I have a huge pile of anime DVDS I still need to watch.

Case in pont

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/nadesico81/My%20House/?action=view&current=KIF_2162.jpg

This is a old pic I have a whole new shelve on top of the one with the lamp on it.

That's a nice collection there. I'm only pushing 250 or so right now, haven't had as much money to purchase all the titles I really want and just like you, I still have a bunch I need to watch through.
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:03 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Well, "cliche" was the first thing that popped in to my head the moment I saw the Best Student Council cover. A high school anime, and sure enough before you even see a single episode you already have the obligatory bikini clad girls on the beach.

I had watched it when it initially aired, so when I first saw the vol. 1 cover art I was pretty disappointed...I couldn't recall a time when they were actually on the beach dressed like that. Regarding the actual series, I found it to be initially pretty dumb, but I somehow warmed up to it after a couple episodes and ended up really liking the show. It's almost as if Rino's good-natured stupidity melted my jaded heart. The different backstories of each of the characters also helped keep my interest...bikinis did not (I am female). I pre-ordered the first two volumes from TRSI for about $20 each, and I plan on collecting the whole series. I wouldn't say it's a masterpiece, but it is worth a try if you're looking for a pleasant escape or a vacation for your brain.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Are those...alphabetized?
hell_xtremedawg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
[quote="nadesico81"]
bleuster wrote:
That's a lot. I don't think even my local
HE HE HE Anime Figures you say I have tons of those

case and pont http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/nadesico81/My%20House/?action=view&current=KIF_2164.jpg
Ev

Sorry, but I could not ignore that; my collection:
In my room

In my room beside the room I sleep in:

Got more figures coming my way (2 came since the taking of those pics), but I'm running out of room, like, seriously.

I suck at taking pics with my laptop =[

Anyways, I thought Utawarerumono was based off of a text/strategy h-game by Leaf and Aqua-Plus (mainly Leaf). O_o. That series follows the game story quite closely, and yes, the game did not explain the backstory until near the end. It was pretty refreshing to play a h-game with a little strategy and character building in it Very Happy. No, baldr force sucks. =]. The anime itself I thought was just about average.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3